SOHC.co.uk Forums > Project Board

CB750 K5/6/7

<< < (2/4) > >>

Nurse Julie:

--- Quote from: Brett72 on November 23, 2020, 10:04:50 PM ---Evening, i have just taken the pistons off and have noticed that on numbers 1 and 4 the rings are fully compressed. Any tips how to get them off? They are soaking at the moment.

--- End quote ---
Having seen him indoors, Trigger, come across this problem on customers engines quite regularly, I think the answer will be buy new pistons. They are usually compressed due to corrosion and therefore are of no further use to man or beast, or engine.

Brett72:
 :'(Thanks for the good news Julie. If i am lucky they will release in the potion i am soaking them in lol

Nurse Julie:

--- Quote from: Brett72 on November 23, 2020, 10:18:53 PM --- :'(Thanks for the good news Julie. If i am lucky they will release in the potion i am soaking them in lol

--- End quote ---
I'm sure they will release Brett, it just depends on how much piston material the rings bring with them 😢😢😢

Trigger:

--- Quote from: Brett72 on November 23, 2020, 10:18:53 PM --- :'(Thanks for the good news Julie. If i am lucky they will release in the potion i am soaking them in lol

--- End quote ---

From your picture, your pistons are part the point of no return and the bores will also be rusty and need reboring  :o

Brett72:
Thanks Trigger. The potion brought all the pistons up a treat and they were in great condition apart from one ring that i could not get off and slightly damaged the piston :'(. I am having trouble deciding how far to go with the engine. So far the top end is in bits and will get a full service, valve seats and pistons, bored or honed. The bottom end feels really smooth and there isn't any noticeable horrors that i can see. What are peoples thoughts? Should i continue to strip it all the way down or just rebuild the top and try and get a running machine? Open to suggestions.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version