SOHC.co.uk Forums > The Black Bomber Board

Black Bomber not charging

<< < (3/8) > >>

royhall:
Cheers Ash that looks simpler. Not sure yet but I think I may have them connected wrongly. I am used to the three yellow wires that can be connected any which way. What's the actual difference between a single and a three phase unit.
I will no doubt have a million more questions to ask.

AshimotoK0:
Totally different Roy .. the early 3-phase charge system is really well explained in this Bulletin in the link below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2oqrx5cvv7byqao/3-phase%20Honda%20Charging.pdf?dl=0

Basically the single phase one is a permanent magnet spinning inside a set of coils which produces a single-phase AC output. This is then full wave rectified by the rectifier and thus converted to DC which then charges the battery. There are several coils but they are connected in both series and parallel combination (see Jensen's diagram)  to give additional output (giving more power when the lights are switched on)  ... but you can basically treat it as one coil.

Feel free to call me if you get stuck.  :)

royhall:
I think from memory I had trouble distinguishing the cable colours on the stator as they were very faded. So this may be fun and games.

MrDavo:
Every single post I can find on this has the same problem. You wonder how many 450s are out there actually putting out a decent charge, and how good at it were they when new?

I've seen it suggested that 50 year old rotors can lose their magnetism, I was surprised to find new ones actually on sale at CMS. However sod Eu706.00 plus P&P etc for a game of soldiers.

royhall:
Not sure if the spanner test is good enough but it takes a firm pull to detach it from the magnet. Just thought, the rotor in at the moment is a NOS item, still 50 years old though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version