Author Topic: DVLA - 'ere, wos goin' on?  (Read 1153 times)

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
DVLA - 'ere, wos goin' on?
« on: May 20, 2021, 11:02:05 AM »
A few of us have been getting letters from DVLA asking 'Is your vehicle still off the road?'  I declared SORN over a year ago on my C50 LAC (almost bugger all VED)  which, according to their own information lasts indefinitely or until I either tax or sell it - so why are they wasting our money asking again?  Anyone know what they are up to?  No wonder it's taking longer for them to carry out important tasks.

Ian

Offline Johnny4428

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: DVLA - 'ere, wos goin' on?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2021, 12:08:22 PM »
That’s interesting Ian, I was confused just got a notification through for one of the C90s that I sorned an year ago.
What a complete waste of resources.
1952 Cymoto on Triumph bicycle.
1961 Matchless G3
1974 Honda CB550K1. Running resto,
1978 Honda CB550K3.
1999 ST1100 Pan European 50th Anniversary.
1975,1980,1984,1986 Honda C90’s
1973 Honda CB750K3

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2021, 01:15:59 PM »
Me too.

I wondered for a moment that they’d changed the rules (again) and had to SORN every year.

The letter was a full page which told me precisely nothing concerning the bike identified in the title…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2021, 03:38:29 PM »
I really can't get my head around this 'new process'. I can only think that they are hoping that someone reacts and taxes a vehicle previously sorned (who made that a verb??) so they get some money for nothing.  That's surely rather doubtful as anyone savvy enough to declare sorn and not just leave a vehicle taxed shouldn't fall for it.  It will be interesting to see if anyone with a tax exempt historic class vehicle gets one of these reminders, where the DVLA stand to gain nothing.  Just how 'green' is sending out all of these pointless letters?  That reminds me, must get an mot on our gas guzzling 3.9 litre V8 MG  :)

Ian

Offline fogrider

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2021, 05:29:38 PM »
My guess is they are checking who is still alive and/or still own that vehicle.  Tens of thousands of vehicles over the years have been scrapped without DVLA being notified. Dead numbers they could sell or allocate.
If you get such a letter, ensure you reply and tell them it's a treasured possession or you MAY LOSE the reg. number !

Thanks for the nudge, I'll dig out some old V5's of my long term (non happening ) projects and see about re-sorning them.

Regards, Terry.

Offline nairb

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2021, 05:38:44 PM »
My cb550k3 was taken off the road before the sorn came about.  So its not on a sorn.  I phoned the dvla up a couple of years ago and said would they put it on a sorn.

The answer from the dvla was NO.  It can only be done when taxing the vehicle.  Maybe this has changed?.  Its not even declared as an historic vehicle yet and without a sorn in place it might not be possible to do at the post office so its another 10 week wait for the paper work to clear the dear old dvla.
cb550k3, cl450k5, re5m, xs650xs2, mt500, kettle, gt550 x2,  gt380 Kz750 twin cb360K0

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2021, 05:46:03 PM »
My cb550k3 was taken off the road before the sorn came about.  So its not on a sorn.  I phoned the dvla up a couple of years ago and said would they put it on a sorn.

The answer from the dvla was NO.  It can only be done when taxing the vehicle.  Maybe this has changed?.  Its not even declared as an historic vehicle yet and without a sorn in place it might not be possible to do at the post office so its another 10 week wait for the paper work to clear the dear old dvla.
These days it must be either SORN or taxed, it doesn't matter which but you have to do one or the other. You can't have it both on SORN and Taxed at the same time, only one or the other. If its taxed for road use, it must be insured. If its SORN, it doesn't have to be insured. This is the case for vehicles registered as Historic or not eligible to be registered as Historic yet.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 05:47:48 PM by Nurse Julie »
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2021, 06:21:30 PM »
Just to explain further, they do not need a response UNLESS you want to tax it or tell them you no longer own it - they are not asking you to re-declare SORN. So an absolutely pointless letter.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Ian

Offline fogrider

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2021, 07:35:44 PM »
Just checked a bike I've had (in bits) for 26 years - a CB77. It was classed as not taxed, so I sorned it. At least it is now on their radar as currently cared for.  It was an old blue V5c , so I suppose It could appear forgotten about.

The other bike I was worried about is already classed as  sorned and I could'nt find a way of updating that.

Regards, Terry.

Offline nairb

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2021, 10:34:38 PM »
Just checked a bike I've had (in bits) for 26 years - a CB77. It was classed as not taxed, so I sorned it. At least it is now on their radar as currently cared for.  It was an old blue V5c , so I suppose It could appear forgotten about.

The other bike I was worried about is already classed as  sorned and I could'nt find a way of updating that.

Regards, Terry.
An interesting bit of info.  I just went on line and managed to sorn my cb550k3 which has been in bits for years and has/is being restored.  It was last taxed before the sorn system was implemented.  I now expect a letter from the dvla wanting an explanation why its not been on a sorn before......

When did this all change.  Several years ago they would not let me put the machine on a sorn.  Now I can so it seems.

Nairb
cb550k3, cl450k5, re5m, xs650xs2, mt500, kettle, gt550 x2,  gt380 Kz750 twin cb360K0

Offline fogrider

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2021, 10:35:49 AM »
I thought I better check some of the other bike  V5's I have dormant: ( all old blue ones , all Honda's )
3 sorned on-line OK, but two said the system won't let me do it on line and I have to go to a Post Office to tax the vehicle. I sense problems.

Those two were classed as not licensed. The voices in the radiator tell me the DVLA are up to something, I'm heading for the post office sharpish to ensure I don't lose those numbers, both the sort DVLA love to sell.

Looks like I ought to start selling things I'll never get around to, must get the paperwork right as a priority.

Regards all, Terry.

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2021, 12:42:27 PM »
Hi Terry,
I recently did one at the post office which was classed as 'Not Licensed' without problems.  They changed it to Historic and sent it to DVLA for me.  Don't worry about the voices in the radiator, just get to the post office.  As a few have said, this is a new hoop to jump through (for some) but could easily have repercussions and cynical me assumes there is an ulterior motive to it all.

Ian

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2021, 03:57:32 PM »
Surely if you check the reg on the DVLA online website and it comes up as Sorn then it's Sorned and no further action is required. Has Sorned made it into the English dictionary yet?
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2021, 05:27:02 PM »
Exactly Roy,
So why are we starting to receive useless letters from them at all?  They have it as SORN on their system - my own was done about a year ago and has regularly been taxed/Sorn/taxed over the last 20 years.

Ian

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2021, 06:44:51 PM »
Exactly Roy,
So why are we starting to receive useless letters from them at all?  They have it as SORN on their system - my own was done about a year ago and has regularly been taxed/Sorn/taxed over the last 20 years.

Ian
It's a government department Ian, anything is possible. We will probably find out the wacky reason in the fullness of time.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal