Author Topic: Honda UK Dating cert  (Read 1431 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Honda UK Dating cert
« on: August 03, 2021, 11:06:03 PM »
I have been looking for a UK CB250K2 frame for years and today I found not one but two ... BUT no docs at all or UK reg no.
The seller tells me I  can send off the frame number to Honda UK and they will possibly provide the year of manufacture and original engine number and then I can apply for an age related plate. Anyone know if this is truly the case and gone though that procedure with a successful outcome? The frames are both UK regd,
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 04:18:01 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline 4wDaz

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Honda UK Dating cert
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2021, 11:14:34 PM »
If they have been uk registered then you can get the reg number from the frame number and apply for a logbook using v62 form
Genuine And Aftermarket Motorcycle Parts Supplier

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2021, 11:29:05 PM »
IF they are still on the system you can, if they were never on a v5 you cant.
I have done the dating letter for imports before Honda UK got funny about it and said they would only do UK ones but they also said if they cant date it they will refund your money.
Try a phone call and ask

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2021, 07:57:48 AM »
Use this service on Facebook Ash, VINTOREG. COM I think its £5 if they find the details but don't charge you if they can't help.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline 4wDaz

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2021, 09:04:46 AM »
Its just a HPI check using the VIN number that reveals the Reg number if its still available
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144117457819?hash=item218e11e39b:g:oCYAAOSw7J9gs56X
Genuine And Aftermarket Motorcycle Parts Supplier

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2021, 12:29:57 PM »
Thanks for replies ... I was away with very poor signal so couldn't reply.

I tried the Facebook VIN to reg.  service you told me about Julie but he drew a blank on both frame numbers.  :(

I applied to Honda UK today on the best of the two frames and we will see what comes back ... fingers crossed.
I'ts a no find ...no charge service, so if they draw a blank I will apply for the second, but not so nice condition frame.

Incidentally ...  I also came across a really early (must be 1st month of production) CB250SS (K0) frame (lovely condition) and matching crankcases with a few more parts available. Not interested myself, as I already have three,  but if anyone knows somebody looking for one I can ask about it. Beauty is that it has a valid V5C with it.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 04:19:22 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2021, 04:16:24 PM »
I tried to get a dating letter from Honda UK for my CB750, they told me to get lost as it wasn't a UK bike. I wrote to Honda South Africa but they didn't exist then so had no records at all.

In the end I got a letter from the VJMC which did the trick, I did the same for my CL450, which came with no paperwork other than a note of the NOVA number. The dating guy at the VJMC wanted photos of the completed bikes, as well as photos of the frame and engine number stampings. What I don't know is how they'd go on if you just had a photo of the frame number and no complete bike yet.

On one hand you don't really need a reg until its finished, on the other hand there are records in workshop manuals and websites of what series each frame number falls into, and when they were made.

Google can get the wrong end of the stick sometimes: https://www.bikerdatingwebsites.com/
1969 Honda CL450 'Scrambler'
1974 Kawasaki Z1A
2005 Harley XL1200R Sportster
1985 Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera Sport
1978 VW Bay Window camper van

Offline Tomb

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2021, 10:35:30 PM »
I've used VIN to REG, very good service for little cost. If there is now record - no charge. If there is record you get the reg number and can apply for a replacement V5c
Tom
'73 CB550 with CB500 engine café racer
'62 CB77 Sprinter
'70 CD175
'78 CB550 with sidecar
'80 Z50R
And a load of old Yamaha 1100's

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2021, 09:32:54 AM »
I've used VIN to REG, very good service for little cost. If there is now record - no charge. If there is record you get the reg number and can apply for a replacement V5c

I tried the FB service one Julie recommended but they had nothing on it.  :(

Offline Tomb

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2021, 12:55:15 PM »
I tried the FB service one Julie recommended but they had nothing on it.  :(

Yes I used them with good results but as said - only if the reg was transferred to the computers back when DVLA went that way, age related plate time :( which I've also done for a '66 Triumph I built from a frame.

In that case your original question is the way to go. I got a dating letter from Honda UK for a CD175 which DVLA accepted.
Tom
'73 CB550 with CB500 engine café racer
'62 CB77 Sprinter
'70 CD175
'78 CB550 with sidecar
'80 Z50R
And a load of old Yamaha 1100's

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2021, 02:52:08 PM »
I was excited when I got my age related plate for the CL450, as it ended in 912 H. In 1969 the Porsche 912 was a thing (4 cylinder little brother of the 911) and their owners tend to be a well heeled bunch. I wanted to sell the reg for £££ and buy a cheaper ordinary vanilla reg from one of the vanity number dealers to replace it.

Sadly, I discovered that age related plates are non transferable.  >:( It will teach me to be a greedy beggar.

I hope you get sorted OK Ash.
1969 Honda CL450 'Scrambler'
1974 Kawasaki Z1A
2005 Harley XL1200R Sportster
1985 Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera Sport
1978 VW Bay Window camper van

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2021, 06:38:56 PM »
Well I got this (copied below)  back pretty quickly from Honda UK  but it doesn't sound promising as I don't have the foggiest what the engine number was.

Opinions guy's please : I already have a nice  'H' reg K0 frame and matching crankcases with V5C in my name. Should I just build that to K2 specs (exactly the same style of frame as the  K2 model)  .....OR... is there anything else I can do to get a reg ..other than 'Q' plate on the genuine K2 frame I just got. K0's are usually F and G reg with a few unsold being 'H' but the very early K2's  had 'H' plates. So a 'H' reg would be correct for a K2

Only reason I want a gold/white K2 (only colour scheme sold in UK)  is that I had one when I was a student for my 1st 'decent' size bike. My original HDT 2J is out there somewhere but due to DVLA's policy I can't track down the owner.

Anyway here is what Honda UK say,

--------------------------------------------------------------------
HONDA UK Info
12:10 (6 hours ago)
 to me

Dear Ashley Derrick,

Thank you for contacting Honda UK.

Please be advised that we would also require the engine number and the model in order to be able to issue the Year of Manufacture document.

Please also note that there is an administration fee of £30 (£25 + VAT) which can be paid by bank transfer and that this can take up to 6 weeks if the information needs to be sourced from Japan.

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Once more, thank you for contacting Honda UK. If you need any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Kind Regards,
Stela  Kirova

Honda Customer Service

« Last Edit: August 07, 2021, 07:04:13 PM by AshimotoK0 »

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2021, 06:46:28 PM »

This message is confidential. You may not use, reproduce, or transfer this message or its contents into any medium without the written permission of Honda (UK), Cain Road, Bracknell, Berkshire, RG12 1HL

[/i]

Assume you have their permission to post this Ash?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2021, 07:08:27 PM »
Modified but noticed it's now in your quote Steve  ;D .... Anyway .. what do you reckon on my dilemma (dilemna depending how old you are)?

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2021, 08:50:47 PM »
Just poking fun at those email disclaimers that everybody uses and nobody understands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal