Author Topic: Candy Ruby Red k1  (Read 12284 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Re: Candy Ruby Red k1
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2010, 07:59:53 PM »
Hi Pete, Talk to Andrew and ask him what paint he used for mine !!! he's a really nice bloke.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2010, 10:34:45 AM »
Halfords do a clear laquor that is designed for bike petrol tanks and is supposed to be petrol resistant.

Cheers

Den
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2010, 02:06:09 PM »
Ash, yes i  may ring him, although i am now considering keeping it all as is , it is just beautifull with all its 40 year  battle scars
Den I have used the halfords petrol resistant laquor, and it works although a little hard to work with being a rattle can, i wonder if you can buy the petrol resistant laquor by the liter for mixing and spraying with a gun?

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2010, 02:14:00 PM »
Ohh forgot to mention i took the bike for an MOT yesterday, i had not touched it as i felt the previous owner( chris r) had done a good job of preparing the bike, anyway the bike went straight through, the examiner admired its condition and praised it also mentioning what i was thinking as to leaving it well alone and enjoying it as a unrestored beauty.
I also Insured it for

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2010, 12:09:03 PM »
You are probably right Pete just keep it as standard with its patina and enjoy it. Glad it worked out OK with Chris - I wish there were more people like him on Ebay. Turns out both Chris and I got our hard to find bargain 400/4 NOS bits off David Silver as a result of his first ever advert in MCN in 1986 when he got his hands on a container load of obsolete Honda bits. BTW hope the missus didn't give you too much grief about the bike Invoice

cheers

Ash
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2010, 12:28:58 PM »
That rings a bell, in 1985/6 the petrol tank on my F1 started leaking by the tap, so I scanned through MCN and there was an ad for Honda parts, so I bought and F2 tank and seat from David Silver Spares for a bargain price.

Cheers

Den
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2010, 04:45:00 PM »
Well i had the morning off to do battle with the DVLA, i went up there armed with what i thought was everything needed to register my k1,
so i got in there real early before they opened i was six in the que and got seen to real quick, (not like the other day i was no 70 so i gave up) i presented my paperwork they checked it and said thank you sir all looks ok you should have a registration in about 5 days .
Surely its not that easy, i am one of those people that seems to have the bad luck when it comes to having the wrong form or filled in questions wrong, but this time i think im a winner, so hopefull i can get a plate made up next week and be on the road.
Pete

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2010, 05:08:32 PM »
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you !

Cheers

Den
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline the-chauffeur

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2010, 12:23:59 AM »
Hey Pete

Nice wheels fella.  Just a quick note on registration - I've just been through the process myself with a '72 CB450, which only came with a receipt and a dating certificate.  I'd been told it was going to be a nightmare 'cos it was a US market only bike and I could really have done with an import certificate . . .

. . . anyways, it turned out that no-one was particularly bothered about that bit.  Like you, I took all the documents to the DVLA (I'm guessing you went to the Sidcup office as well) and they accepted pretty much everything I presented. However, I got a letter a few days later to say they wanted to inspect the bike.  Not a big deal - I stuck it in the back of a van and trundled to the Maidstone DVLA office (one of the few round here that does inspections) and was treated to something of an anticlimax . . . 'inspection' in DVLA speak translated to checking the frame and engine numbers against the documents I had provided previously.  The whole inspection took no longer than three minutes - and the V5, revised MOT and tax disc were issued two days later.

Here's hoping your experiences are equally straightforward.

Neil
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 12:39:02 AM by the-chauffeur »

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2010, 07:46:00 AM »
Nice one neil, yes it was the sidcup ofice, i can walk to it i am so close, if i have to go to maidstone to get it checked then its not too bad,
i have been told that sometimes they check and other times they dont, i am itching to get out on the road with this bike so any delays will be dissapointing
Pete

Offline Yoshi823

• SOHC Pro
  • Biker to the bone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2010, 09:41:46 AM »
I found registering a vehicle with the DVLA at Sidcup easy as well. It was an import from the EU, I had no MoT, just a certificate from the manufacturers. I filled in a form & sent them off & within no time at all I got the new reg back.
But a friend bought a bike with no documents & he had no end of trouble with the DVLA. He had to trailer the bike down to Maidstone so's they could look it over. Then there was a suspicion that it was stolen, then it might have been written off. A bit of a headache, but eventually he got it sorted,.
Bikes...they're in the blood.
Yamaha R1 2001
Yamaha FZR1000R EXUP 1990
KTM 450 EXC RFS 2004
Honda XR400R 1997
Honda CB125T2 1980
Yamaha FJ1200 3XW 1991

Offline the-chauffeur

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2010, 06:14:33 PM »

Rightly or wrongly, I got the impression that they wanted to look at mine to be absolutely sure it was entitled to 'historic' status for road tax purposes. I'm not sure how they would know whether a bike had been stolen (believe it or not, if you phone the DVLA they'll tell you they can't look up VIN numbers on old vehicles - they only work from the vehicle registration) - and they guy I saw didn't seem to have any other interest in the bike than the engine/frame numbers.

A couple of things to remember:

- you'll hear a lot of different stories about how easy/hard the process is, but those with first hand experience are likely to be able to give the most reliable reports.
- DVLA inspectors aren't (so far as I'm aware) MOT testers - that's why the bike has to be MOT's/SVA'd before you can put the forms in.  The DVLA certainly don't seem to have the gear or space for anything more demanding than a good look at the chassis/engine numbers and copies of your forms.  You'll see what I mean if you have to go to Maidstone - they'll ask you to park in a public coach park and come to see you with a clipboard.
- the DVLA isn't remotely interested in whether import duty has been paid; that's down to HMRC.  Like every other governmental organisation, they have their good days and bad days. So far, it seems they must've been having a good day when my forms got sent through (still keeping fingers crossed).
- vehicle age is likely to be a factor that will affect the registration difficulty level(s) you experience.  Newer bikes have to meet more rigorous test standards and are more likely to attract more attention simply because it's easier to get accurate book prices/values for them and/or be more easily traceable; again, bikes made before '73 might also warrant a viewing because of the tax free status.   

Hope that gives you some reassurance!  And I know what you mean about getting out on the bike - I'm just waiting for my tank and panels to come back from the sprayers . . .

Neil

Offline honda-san

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2010, 08:31:55 PM »
Hi Pete,
Glad you are pleased with the K1 and that the application for registration is pending - let me know how you get on.

Picture of my other K1 attached for your interest (started out as a
Chris R.

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2010, 09:14:16 AM »
Nice bike Chris, i bet you must have taken ages to get it looking like that, i was looking at your sandcast on the sandcast site as well,
as for my K1  you may have gathered looking at the posts i am champing at the bit to get out on this bike, also my F2 i told you about is starting to take shape ,i am getting real excited about this as well, i have a build thread for this bike if you click the link at the bottom, it has been a while but i will add some more progress reports and pictures soon
Pete
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 05:32:13 PM by UK Pete »

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2010, 05:22:23 PM »
Have a look at this Pete. I reckon yours looks better despite higher mileage.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Honda-4-Four-CB750-CB-750-1-owner-4310-miles-STUNNING_W0QQitemZ320498409732QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Motorcycles?hash=item4a9f31a104

This is the guy who is flogging K0 Chrome tank trim for loads-a-money and also  bought some Mini trim recently.

Cheers

Ash
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 05:27:11 PM by AshimotoK0 »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal