Author Topic: Candy Ruby Red k1  (Read 12283 times)

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Candy Ruby Red k1
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2010, 05:46:57 PM »
Yep there are some things on my bike which are better, but also there are things better than mine on his one, they do seem to comand a good price, i wonder if he will get that much? i have noticed he sells quite a few on ebay all classified adds.
I bought a tank for mine the other day my intentions are to get it all prepared then have a go at spraying it myself if i get it right then  i can just swap over , i was also thinking of buying some side pannels the ones from L-P-M and slowly build up a complete bodwork set all sprayed up and ready to fit incase i ever want to,
BTW how is your bike coming on?
Pete

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2010, 07:32:52 PM »
Yes LPM are good - I was going to get him to do some commercial work mouldings for me but he was to busy so I got a place in Rotherham to do it, last year . The guy who runs it is Ex-Rover cars. Make sure you remove any traces or release agent though before painting  because my K0 airbox has bubbled badly and will need a repaint.

My bike is not progressing at all really as I need a new conrod. I do have one from a later bike but I may hang out for a complete matched set and I have grown to mistrust parts from Ebay UK. Weather is too cold at the mo' anyway.

Sounds like you are busy though!! Has the wife forgiven you yet?

Cheers

AshD
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2010, 07:54:17 PM »
I have learnt when painting that type of plastic the best way is too de-grease and key it up with 400 paper then use a plastic primer and then a primer filler to get the scratches out then paint.
 Yes ebay is full of people who do dodgy photos and claim parts are mint when really they are sometimes as good as useless, its almost like a luck dip,
The wife has come to terms with the fact i have another bike, the count is now at 15 bikes, i had to sell some stuff to recoup the money so that will keep her happy.
The weather this weekend was great for working on bikes, if you take a look at my rebuild thread you can see i was quite busy.
Pete

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2010, 09:04:16 PM »
For interest, I went to see a bike that was being sold by Freddy (Will) and it was not quite what I expected. It was good, but not what I wanted. He has a couple of beautiful 750's in his hallway. Gold K0 and K2 as I remember. He has a really big old place in Worcestershire and really knows his CB's. Not sure if I could recommend him as I have not bought a bike from him. I suggest that anyone thinking of getting one should have a look first, even if it is just to see his own bikes

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2010, 08:02:31 PM »
I got some good news today, the DVLA has issued my registration and sent it with my docs and tax disk back to me, so i got straight on the internet and ordered up a nice pressed aluminium black and silver plate for it, with a bit of luck i should be on the road by thursday,
I can wait, its only been a few weeks but seems like a life time, i am like a kid with a new toy.
Pete

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2010, 11:43:40 PM »
Did you get the 70 reg you hoped for Pete?

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2010, 08:39:49 AM »
Just in time to catch the sunny weather !

Cheers

Den
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2010, 09:56:41 AM »
The reg is J which is 1971 the year of 1st registration in USA which is correct
Yes this bike is only ever coming out on sunny days, it will probably only do about 200 miles a year, as i have to share my bike riding time with many other bikes,
Pete

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2010, 07:56:50 PM »
Hi all, i manged to get out on the K1 today, other than riding round the block this was its first proper ride out on the road, i only took the bike up to 70mph, and just pottered around at legal road speeds, my first port of call was to yoshi's house to pick up some F2 parts he was selling, (thanks Tim) then i went for a long ride, as the bike got hotter a flat spot started to make its self known at about 2-3000 revs this got progressively worse as the bike reached it maximum heat at slow riding around town, so i went back home really content at this being the only minor problem with the bike, it rides really well and the brakes actually work reasonably well considering the age and only being single disk and drum , anyway when i got home i done a plug examination and found all the plugs really black and sooty, so it must be running really rich, i checked the air filter and that appeared to be new, so can any one suggest what would make it run so rich, i have a theory that the float height may be set wrong because if i leave the petrol tap on it stinks of petrol and leaks a small bit out when it gets picked up from side stand, or it may be the float needle not seating, these are just my guesses, can any one else add any likely causes
Pete

Offline honda-san

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2010, 01:03:51 PM »
Hi Pete,
Glad you got out on it finally. My experience with using bikes which have been stood for many years is that it often takes a little bit of time and effort to get everything spot on.

Not too many reasons for running too rich on all four pots - air filter is the obvious one, even if it looks clean (I had a 350/4 which always ran rich, despite the air filter looking good. Fitted a new one and cured it instantly, AND improved mpg from 50 to 60). As you say, the one in teh K1 looked okay, hence it was left in.
The float heights were all re-set at 26mm, which is the standard value for a K1. Main jets were 120's which are correct for the K1. Slow jets were also the correct 40's. Carbs did not look to have been messed with, but can't remember if I checked the needle height (clip should be in the middle groove). Smell of petrol, and weeping from the carbs when stood suggests to me float valves not sealing. They are pretty reliable in CB750's I would suggest (indeed I have never had to replace any on my own bikes over the last 25 years).
The petrol tank was bone dry when it arrived from the US, with some light surface rusting I seem to recall. Wonder of the fresh fuel has washed any dust / dirt down which is holding the float valves off their seats - surprised though that all four carbs would be affected the same.

Might be worth removing the fuel tap bowl to see in any sediment has accumulated in it which would confirm whether or not any debris is being washed through from the tank which could then "upset" the floatvalves.

If you think I can help, just ask.

Cheers - Chris R.
Chris R.

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2010, 01:58:00 PM »
Hi Chris, thanks for that, i took carbs off checked float heights, blew through each carb with air line then reasembled and balanced them , just been out on it today and its the same apart from no leaking petrol,and it ticks over a bit more even, so it has to be the filter i cant think of anything else it could be, there were a few small bits in the float bowls so i recon dirt under the needle valve was the cause of the leaky petrol
BTW what a beatifull sound these bike make , everywhere i go people hear it coming and just look, i am so glad i have got the bug for the 750 sohc cam as they are so much fun to build and ride, my F2 is coming on real good now, i should have enine rebuilt soon and back in frame , i will post some more progress pictures soon, when i have done that i am building a cafe racer sohc, so i will have 3 of them,
Pete

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2010, 07:51:19 PM »
Hi Pete, My K1 tends to run rich and I was thinking of dropping the jets to 115 (recommended by Hondaman on the US site). Everything else in the carbs is standard.

Just a thought, I have a K and N filter and wondered if it was a bit more restrictive than the OEM one. (would.nt have expected that though

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2010, 07:59:38 PM »
My running rich problem has now been solved, i put on a new K&N filter, went for a ride checked the plugs and it was a bit better but still running a bit rich and having a flat spot between 2 & 3000 revs, so i adjusted the mixture screws in wards by half a turn, this made it worse so i re set them but outwards this time by one and a half a turns, woohooooool it runs much better now, nice tan colour on the plugs after a good run, and the flat spot has almost dissapeared, so i went off thundering around the lanes, what a pleasure to ride now all i have to do is the cush drive rubbers and the very stiff throttle, man does my wrist hurt, these bikes were either build when men were men, and a nice easy throttle action was for wimps, or there is something wrong with mine, all i can say is i will have one arm like popeye the sailor man if i dont fix this soon.
Pete

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2010, 07:13:43 AM »
Sorry mate they were built when men were men!!!

BE CAREFULL

Original Honda cables had Nylon lined outers with a rubberish covered inner and MUST NOT be oiled or the innards swell up and stick. Aftermarket tend not to have the liners and need oiling

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal