Author Topic: Candy Ruby Red k1  (Read 12285 times)

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Candy Ruby Red k1
« on: February 24, 2010, 04:13:10 PM »
HI all as you may have picked up from some of Ashley's posts i have bought another bike, well  i have actually bought a K1, this is mostly original and has a beautiful 40 year old patina, everything seems to work on it and the chrome is  good,the only thing i will be changing at the moment is the cush drive rubbers as there seems to be some slack there( or is that normal), so i will be picking peoples brains on where to find bits and all sorts of questions relating to K1's.
The reason i bought this is since joining the forums i have really taken to the old Honda's and as you probably know i am building 2 F2's at the moment, but i really have taken a shine to the early K models, ideally i wanted a KO but they seem to be way too much money, anyway i have been on the lookout and bid on a few only too usually loose out , but this time i got lucky and so have just spent the last of all my savings on this old beast, still i think its an investment and i reckon if push came to shove in a few years the return on it would probably be better than the interest payed by banks.
I am going to get it on the road for the summer and maybee replace a few small bits in the winter, the only major thing to do is the paint as it is faded, but even that adds character to this fine 40 year old machine, i have been out side looking it over today putting it in various positions and admiring it, also i just have to keep starting it to hear that glorious roar from the H300 exhausts,
So hear are a few pictures of it as it is unrestored
Pete

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Re: Candy Ruby Red k1
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 04:35:25 PM »
So you are pleased with it Pete!

Looks pretty good to me considering some of the S*ite you get on Ebay. I am sure you will never lose money on it. It will only appreciate plus all the 300 series parts available from Honda  and common to K0/K1 always seem to be K1 variant (e.g seat, shocks, bars etc)

Ash
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 06:34:33 PM »
Very nice Pete. Well done

I hope you don't have the same surprise as I had with mine.

Discovered this when I removed the engine.

It was hidden under a filler (Probably JB weld) and caused by the chain breaking. Very common on the early CB750's.

Enjoy the bike

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 06:34:59 PM »
Apart from my blue early CB750 the K1 was my favourite bike, that looks like a good one, very nice, so enjoy it.

Cheers

Den
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 06:58:04 PM »
Very Nice Pete  :) nice looking bike  8), i to like the early K series and have this beauty aswell as my F1
you will enjoy riding it this summer  ;), cheers Mick.

Offline Yoshi823

• SOHC Pro
  • Biker to the bone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 08:29:42 PM »
Hiya Peter...

That does look really nice. It just shows what can be found.

Is the front bit of the gearbox selector cover broken off like seems to happen all too easily? Or is it just the angle that the picture was taken?
Bikes...they're in the blood.
Yamaha R1 2001
Yamaha FZR1000R EXUP 1990
KTM 450 EXC RFS 2004
Honda XR400R 1997
Honda CB125T2 1980
Yamaha FJ1200 3XW 1991

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 09:14:34 PM »
I don't think if he's bought it Off ChrisR he will have any nasty surprises !! It will be a good 'honest'  bike. If you look at the way K2's have appreciated in value lately I reckon he has an real asset there. I know that the K1 was the highest no. of production but anyone know how many came to the UK. You don't tend to see that many - or is it just me who's not seen them around or on Ebay UK.

Cheers

AshD

“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 10:23:29 PM »
Seamus, that was a nasty surprise, was your engine oil tight before you found that damage?
spitfire yes i will enjoy this bike i am itching to get it on the road
Mike candy red is a good colour and yours looks real good too, i still like the f models as well
Yoshi i think its the photo that makes it look that way, i will double check the cover in morning
Ash i think that sums it up a good honest bike, i never new that K1 was the highest number of bikes made, i see lots of K2's up for sale and they are comanding a good price lately
Pete

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 12:16:13 AM »
Hi Pete

The motor was oiltight before the strip. Only found the damage after cleaning off the oil round the sprocket area. The motor was only pulled out so that I could get the frame powder coated. I suspect that yours is OK and did'nt mean to worry you.

I had mine repaired via a friend who works in the aircraft industry. His welder is very skilled and is tested every 6 months for competency. A bit lucky I guess.

The K1 is the best looking K series in my opinion and has all the little improvements that made the earlier CB750 a little bit awkward.

Yours looks really good for the year, unlike mine which needed a lot of money spent to get it to where it is now.

Cheers

Seamus

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 08:07:52 AM »
Hi seamus, who did your paint work? as that is one thing my bike would benefit from,  i have seen  a few bikes where they have spent the best part of

Offline mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 10:29:33 AM »
Hi Pete,theres a fella on the US site who sells the correct paints for these bikes ,   www.vintagehondapaint.com
 dont know about shipping though , cheers Mick

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2010, 11:50:15 AM »
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2010, 12:04:18 PM »
Hi Pete,

That was one of the best bits of the bike when I got it. The paint had been done and a lot of the parts bought, but the overall finish of the frame etc let it down big time.

May be worth talking to a few people at one of the bike shows as they often have examples of their skills with them.

Good luck

Seamus

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2010, 12:10:25 PM »
Andrew who, I used chose a current Honda colour which perfectly matched the original paint under the fork ear reflector of my Candy Ruby red K0. It was a lot less than 700 and mine had the K0 3 -part airbox to do plus lots of repair work on the tank. He sprays the stripes on (as Honda did). I think Dream Machine use transfers.

I considered trying to spray myself (as I did on my 400/4) but Candy is notoriously difficult to get right - one false coat and its a total repaint. Vic Worlds sprays 'so many and a half' colour coats to get the correct colour for the candy blue/green K0.

In the end I just spent the dosh and I am glad I did. The American guy (dondirtbiker) who sells Candy paint kits will not ship overseas.

cheers
Ash
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 05:26:30 PM by AshimotoK0 »

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2010, 05:58:45 PM »
I have found the paint but what an outrageous price
 http://www.rsbikepaint.com/en/shop-paints.php?colourscheme=3943&767=on">.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 06:01:53 PM by UK Pete »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal