Author Topic: 400/4 Wheel bearing questions ?  (Read 3765 times)

Online McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
400/4 Wheel bearing questions ?
« on: October 18, 2021, 04:32:25 PM »
I'm in the process of replacing my front & rear wheel bearings - the new Toyo bearings come with seals fitted to both sides unlike the old ones that just have one side with a built in seal.

Is this just later design - sealed - greased for life?

I can't see the purpose of the lock rings as they are only fitted to one side of the wheels - it seems an odd design to have one side that's effectively a press fit yet the other side has a lock ring?
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: 400/4 Wheel bearing questions ?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2021, 04:34:48 PM »
Double seale are better Ted.
As to thelock ring it hold the bearing tight against a machined shoulder then the spacer holds the bearings apart as there is no shoulder in the other side, saves on expensive machining

Offline ka-ja

• ken
  • SOHC Pro
  • yoshi 460
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2021, 09:56:05 AM »
Sealed bearings used to come double sided when new, one side, the inner shield was removed and some extra dab of grease fed into the wheel centre on building up the wheel.

nice bike,nothing in the bank

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2021, 02:53:23 PM »
How difficult are the wheel bearings to fit is it one part in the freezer & heat the bubs a little to make them seat easier?

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2021, 03:03:36 PM »
"I can't see the purpose of the lock rings as they are only fitted to one side of the wheels - it seems an odd design to have one side that's effectively a press fit yet the other side has a lock ring?"

In addition to Bryan's observations,  by locking that one bearing it positions the wheel as desirable from design (in effect a datum) with the "free" one just supporting wheel load as required. If they machined the free bearing housing to take a locking installation too,  then that would require a shim pack/operation to distance the two bearings within the hub. Failure to match exactly would axially load both bearings or leave them slightly loose depending upon the spacer used.

This design effectively does all it needs without having to accommodate tolerances by shimmery  :)

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2021, 03:05:42 PM »
That’s the method I used, Ted. I guess it depends on your hub finish term of heat? I ‘warmed’ the hubs and froze the bearings over, but only because it was convenient to do so..

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2021, 03:07:44 PM »
"I can't see the purpose of the lock rings as they are only fitted to one side of the wheels - it seems an odd design to have one side that's effectively a press fit yet the other side has a lock ring?"

In addition to Bryan's observations,  by locking that one bearing it positions the wheel as desirable from design (in effect a datum) with the "free" one just supporting wheel load as required. If they machined the free bearing housing to take a locking installation too,  then that would require a shim pack/operation to distance the two bearings within the hub. Failure to match exactly would axially load both bearings or leave them slightly loose depending upon the spacer used.

This design effectively does all it needs without having to accommodate tolerances by shimmery  :)

I think I have got my head round that concept - fix one on both side as the point where the drive load is from the sprocket - the other end just a normal press fit - spacers stop any end float load issues - axle spacers do the rest.

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2021, 04:25:24 PM »
Never had a problem getting wheel bearings in cold.

Ted, got the dishes, not been well lately but will try and get on them today if possible.

Absolutely no rush at my end Ken so don't go and overdo it on my account.

I've done nowt on my bike today my one job was to remove the airing cupboard door (3rd Time)) then trim another couple of mm off the bottom to clear the carpet. It's been catching ever since we moved back into our house after the fire rebuild in 2018. It took me about five trips up & down the stairs with tools less than 2 minutes with the electric plane - then an hour to hoover up everywhere - then another five trips up & down the stairs to put my tools away. Now I'm done in - after all my efforts the dam carpet still catches a little.

When the door Inspector comes home from work I know what's coming - "it still catches a bit but it will do" that's code for try again Ted.lol

To cap it all Wendys PC went Blue screen yesterday after a windows 10 update - I spent over an hour last night trying to sort it as the auto repair doesn't - it will not go into Command Prompt as it says there is no administrator on the system. I gave up this morning and dropped it off to get it fixed.

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2021, 01:13:12 PM »
Fitted the first (smaller) rear wheel bearing today after a few days in the freezer in a zip lock bag - went in easily using my alloy bearing drift tool & a small lump hammer.

.rear wheel bearing fitted by Macabe Thiele, on Flickr

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2021, 09:42:57 PM »
What no comments on my bling gold wheel?

Offline TrickyMicky

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2021, 12:10:50 AM »
The jury is still out on that one Ted until we see it on the finished article!  But I award 10 out of 10 for the choice of tyre.

Offline ST1100

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2021, 06:49:09 AM »
As to thelock ring it hold the bearing tight against a machined shoulder then the spacer holds the bearings apart as there is no shoulder in the other side, saves on expensive machining
So should one install the side wit the lock-ring first, and then gently drive the other bearing in till it's inner race barely touches the spacer tube?
(ball bearings don't like lateral load, so you see to not "squeeze" the spacer tube in there to avoid premature failure...)
STOC #637
'00 ST1100Y, '04 ST1100R, '07 NT700VA, CB500K2, CB500K1...

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2021, 08:02:35 AM »
Its ok to squeaze the inner if the outer isnot fixed, its bad to have the inner and outer side loaded against each other

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2021, 08:36:23 AM »
I like those rims Ted. Let’s see it all together. Could be a really tasteful package…..

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2021, 09:38:11 AM »
So should one install the side wit the lock-ring first, and then gently drive the other bearing in till it's inner race barely touches the spacer tube?
(ball bearings don't like lateral load, so you see to not "squeeze" the spacer tube in there to avoid premature failure...)
The guy on U-Tube fits the small one first so that's why I am doing it that way. The spacers seem to determine the distance between the Bearings - then there are the spacers on the axle - tbh it's all a bit Greek to me trying to understand the logic.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal