Author Topic: 550 F2 started!  (Read 63696 times)

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: 550 F2 started!
« Reply #90 on: December 30, 2021, 10:24:30 PM »
Looking great Roo.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 30, 2021, 10:29:18 PM »
Still waiting for my brass right angle to repair the breather in carb 3 but no rush n all that….

Still pondering how to fix it in, would solder work or some silicon tape or hairy string? Not sure until it comes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 31, 2021, 01:05:09 AM »
Solder wont workas carbs are monkey metal, very tight fit with locktite

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 31, 2021, 01:38:26 AM »
Still wondering why you didn’t just buy a plastic right angled pipe connector Roo, you could just sand the end until it fitted the body, no one will ever see it with the pipe on.

Always wondered why Honda failed to fit spring washers under the heads of the choke flap screws, if one of those come loose it’s going straight into the combustion chamber. Ok, so they peened the back of the screws a little when new but I’m willing to bet nobody does that when they get refitted, another thing, Mark Paris recommends cutting down any protruding part of the carb balancing adapter screws on the intake manifolds so that they don’t upset the airflow, so presumably the same thing could apply to the choke flaps screws, so I intend to replace the screws with stainless ones, fit a spring washer then file them flat on the reverse, whilst not mounted of course so that no chance of metal filings going into the carb bodies. Maybe I’m just going ott but then again maybe it will make a very small difference.

Oh and Roo, Mark also says approx 5 psi in the forks and I think it was approx 10mm of preload. I’ll check that when I can find his notes on the 500.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 01:58:19 AM by Oddjob »
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 31, 2021, 07:56:18 AM »
Still wondering why you didn’t just buy a plastic right angled pipe connector Roo, you could just sand the end until it fitted the body, no one will ever see it with the pipe on.

Always wondered why Honda failed to fit spring washers under the heads of the choke flap screws, if one of those come loose it’s going straight into the combustion chamber. Ok, so they peened the back of the screws a little when new but I’m willing to bet nobody does that when they get refitted, another thing, Mark Paris recommends cutting down any protruding part of the carb balancing adapter screws on the intake manifolds so that they don’t upset the airflow, so presumably the same thing could apply to the choke flaps screws, so I intend to replace the screws with stainless ones, fit a spring washer then file them flat on the reverse, whilst not mounted of course so that no chance of metal filings going into the carb bodies. Maybe I’m just going ott but then again maybe it will make a very small difference.

Oh and Roo, Mark also says approx 5 psi in the forks and I think it was approx 10mm of preload. I’ll check that when I can find his notes on the 500.

I always wondered about this Service Bulletin attached, concerning an M6 nut finding itself inside the engine on the CB750/Sandcast air filter housing.
Then I got talking to a bloke who was the Service Manager at Freddie Friths's in Grimsby in 1970  and he told me that the very 1st CB750 he worked on for repair not servicing was that very fault. He also  told me that the comedian Dick Emery came in and test drove one of the 1st CB750's, as he was in pantomime in Cleethorpes .. but as we all know Dick went on to buy one from Tippets of Surbiton
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 07:59:03 AM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 31, 2021, 09:15:11 AM »

I didnt Ken as being in the aquatics trade as a fishery manager and dealing with all things pumps,air lines and the like Ive heaps of expoerience with fittings and although didnt twig at he time until ypu mentioned it, I know that after time theose plastic fittings get brittle and are effected by heat after a while too so went belt and braces on the fittimg.I bought one that was toosmall to start then ordered a couple of options to file down to tap in. They'lllast longer and wont be as much of a potential fail. It would be just my luck to have em all sorted, fit them and then pull out the fitting and have to take the carbs off again to refit. Plus, I'll always know its there and it'll bug me.

I wandered about the choke flap screws so dabbed a bit of loctite on them but to be fair, after plating them they are a particularly tight fit and I cant see them coming out but  did have exactly that thought whilst putting them together.

The rest of it may come in the post today back from the repairers and I'll have another go at finishing them off but for now, I'm off chub fishing for the afternoon, I havent managed to have any dangling all christmas and I want a session in before the end of the year. Even just to say Ive been and had a mooch about.

Nice one on the fork cap PSI rating Ken, let me know.

Did you have a chance to find me one of those brass screws to attach the actuator bar back onto these carbs Ken, you mentioned you had a few knocking about, is one still up for grabs?

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 31, 2021, 04:39:02 PM »
Ahh yes the retaining screw for the bar, not yet managed to find the brass ones but I supplied Phil (Sesman) with a stainless one instead. I have a few sizes of them, what thread size would you like and I'll alter one to fit, I fit it in a drill and file the stub done until it fits the slot in the bar, they are too big as standard.

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 31, 2021, 05:38:41 PM »
Ang on, I'll have a measure after tea, just got back in from hunter gathering 8)

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 31, 2021, 06:32:21 PM »
Thread drift warning….has the frame arrived?

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 31, 2021, 06:35:34 PM »
Nope but we located it and I sent a minion to go fetch it so it was safe. I'm driving up to wakefield on sunday to go get it!   anglo saxon, anglo saxon etc...

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 31, 2021, 06:52:42 PM »
I was wrong, memory is starting to fail  ;D 10 psi for the forks and he says fit 3 washers (but doesn't say how thick they are) in the forks so they effectively preload the springs. So I'd say say 5-10mm of preload. My springs are mismatched in length, so what I'm thinking is to fit the springs etc, no preload at all, place a heavy weight on the top of the fork top, maybe my old vice, measure to see how far it compresses the fork and mark it. Do the other fork and then match the preload so they both compress the same distance. Not sure if that's the correct way but it makes some sort of sense.

Trim those screws into the inlet manifolds, measure the bores of them all and see if they match, if not make them match, smooth out any casting marks, rough spots etc. Should get another 5bhp doing that without affecting engine response.

If you want a little more power, get the cam lobes modified, no more lift, just more duration. So 5 degrees of overlap and 10 degrees of duration. Engine won't be cammy with such a mild mod. Think I have a spare cam so may just try that one.

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 31, 2021, 07:42:57 PM »
Bloody hell, Roo. That’s just ridiculous.

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 31, 2021, 07:52:52 PM »
Bloody hell, Roo. That’s just ridiculous.
Isn’t it!
I opened up a ‘whole can of Northerner’ at Hermes, got a full refund, apology letter and a £50 credit on my PayPal account!

The feckers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 31, 2021, 07:59:42 PM »
You did well with Hermes, i have complained several times and got nowhere

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 31, 2021, 08:30:13 PM »
I was beyond rude and beat the service lass into submission and I also sent an email to the CEO, he rang back himself orif it wasnt it was his 2IC. Turns out hes a biker and when I pointed out it was an irreplaceable  vintage cb550 frame he couldn't have been more helpful tbh, funny that isnt it!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal