Author Topic: Fitting new Motad - need colletts/collars  (Read 4183 times)

Offline fazer1k

• View Profile
Fitting new Motad - need colletts/collars
« on: May 02, 2010, 07:34:59 PM »
Spent the afternoon replacing the old Micron exhaust with a new Motad, only to discover that the (non split) colletts on the Micron seem to be welded on, so needed some replacements....

Checked David Silver who list split colletts at

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Fitting new Motad - need colletts/collars
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 08:09:56 PM »
phone and ask? Very helpful on the phone they are.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline fazer1k

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 11:32:57 PM »

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 07:01:08 AM »
Motad used to supply 4 complete circle ones (slide on before fitting silencer) do they not anymore or are they missing?

Offline fazer1k

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 06:32:23 PM »
Motad used to supply 4 complete circle ones (slide on before fitting silencer) do they not anymore or are they missing?

Not for the 550 Bryan (unfortunately) - the instructions mention to retain the split collars, referring to the Honda originals I guess, which disappeared a long time ago before I owned the bike. Didn't realise the problem until the old Micron came off, now have an order in with David Silvers....

Offline toucheturtle

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 09:16:45 PM »
I've order them from Dave Silvers, you'll need 8

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile

Offline fazer1k

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 03:33:46 PM »
I don't know if you are still looking but these will do the job.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CB550-4-CB550-four-Exhaust-collets-x-8-/290434703171?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item439f41df43#ht_500wt_953

Thanks anyway for the link. Have now received the new collars from David Silvers.

Fitting the new Motad is now proving a challenge....two of the downpipes would not fit into the can without a lot of persuasion, now the pipes (number 2 is worst) do not line up with the cylinders...will try again at the weekend, perhaps a call to Motad is needed.

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 08:30:30 PM »
no, it is a pain to line it all up, trial and error usually sorts it.  Once it's together I found that if I ever need to take it off do so in one piece.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 11:10:13 PM »
I agree they can be a royal pain to get fitted, but as has been said once fitted they can be removed and fitted as a unit. I found a hide mallett was very usefull, but a bit of wood and hammer might suffice to perswade things to fit.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Sprunghub

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010, 05:32:52 PM »
I'm not sure if it's relevant, or if there is much you can do about it either way, but the Motad I took off my CB750 recently had split around a couple of the flange's where it sits in the recess up against the head.

Can't be the only one in the world to have done it, I'm guessing.

It could be the way it was "encouraged" to fit as it wasn't particularly untidy otherwise.   
The current stable,
76, CB750 F1
83, FT500
89, VTR250
78, CB125T

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2010, 08:54:16 PM »
I would advise caution on 'perswasion' by the way, remember the header pipes use spindly 6mm studs at the head end but a gentle tap can work wonders, particuarly to push the pipes back into the silencer.

Offline fazer1k

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2010, 03:12:04 PM »
Well after much swearing and brute force managed to get the new Motad fitted today, it's not perfect but good enough for now - at least I can ride the bike again !

Was tempted to bid for that original K3 4/4 that came up on eBay the other day, looked in good condition and went for around

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal