Author Topic: Rear brake actuator arm  (Read 2998 times)

Offline ebmbiker

• View Profile
Rear brake actuator arm
« on: April 05, 2022, 09:09:30 PM »
Good evening folks,

As my CB500K1 came in pieces, in boxes, I’ve got a couple of things missing. I’m missing the rear brake actuator arm and kickstart lever. Are these parts common across a few Hondas of the era?
If so, which ones? So I can start looking.

Cheers, JB
"Fast Beat The Feet!"

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Re: Rear brake actuator arm
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2022, 09:24:13 PM »
Put the part number in to ebay and google and see what comes up  ;)

Offline ebmbiker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2022, 09:41:25 PM »
Cheers Trigger, why didn’t I think of that?!
"Fast Beat The Feet!"

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2022, 10:49:35 AM »
Try the CB-Four website in Germany, they have varioous bits that are second hand but in really good condition. Send them an email if you cant find what youre looking for, they're really helpful.
Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2022, 02:06:05 PM »
You mean this arm?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353606195614?hash=item525492599e:g:MB0AAOSwHsphCmPq

Bought from them before, good service. He also has some kickstart levers.

Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline ebmbiker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2022, 09:00:13 AM »
You mean this arm?

No Oddjob, it's part number  43411283000, the lever arm on the brake backing plate.
"Fast Beat The Feet!"

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2022, 10:12:37 AM »
You mean this arm?

No Oddjob, it's part number  43411283000, the lever arm on the brake backing plate.

That's actually a CB450 Black Bomber part and carried on to the the 5-speed model ..so you can search for those models too to find one.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2022, 10:57:36 AM »
The part on ebay the Sye posted a link to is one of my eBay listings. If you're interested, PM me and I will give you a discount and do post at cost as I won't have yo pay ebay charges.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2022, 01:33:14 PM »
Not a criticism of Julie here but why do people have parts rechromed but never do something about the bad areas that Honda left rough. The edges and even some front parts of the lever are rough, you can see dressing marks from production etc and the rear is rougher than a Moss Side whore. The arm itself it lovely, good chrome job but it could have been so much better and for the same price, same thing applies to gear levers, brake pedals, 550 chain guards and even some parts of the 550 grab rail, it's a real shame.

I know the argument goes but you can't really see it so why bother? Well the same would apply to the 500 fork stanchions, they didn't chrome them where they were hidden by fork shrouds and look what happened there, rust so bad people where forced to change them before they knew about hard chroming etc. Plus it's where rust starts, because the surface is rough the chrome doesn't adhere properly and that lets water in and that's the end of that finish.

AGAIN, nothing critical of Julie here, just a bit of a moan about why this happens.

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2022, 04:51:36 PM »
It's all a matter of taste Ken but I personally hate it when chromers polish out the original casting marks on Honda parts and make them resemble something that  came out of bathroom fitting shop. The guy in Hull did that to my CB750K0 rear brake arm and I voted with my feet after that. But, as I say, it's all a matter of taste. Allenchrome were good in that respect as they would either do show 'blingy' chrome or 'Japanese bike' finish where they did a less blingy finish and left the casting marks alone.... depending on what you asked for.

Sadly the b*ggers won't do stuff like that now...well they won't do small batch BZP so I doubt they will chrome old motorbike parts.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2022, 07:15:11 PM »
I never have casting marks, original poor finishes, rough finishes etc polished out when I have parts re chromed. I cannot stand chrome parts that look so unnaturally perfect that they actually look like plastic chrome. It reminds me of all the show bikes,  that were shown at custom bike shows in the 80's, cheap, tacky and nasty. As long as the bike goes well and is fit for purpose and the parts do their job, I'm a happy bunny 😊😊😊
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2022, 08:14:36 PM »
I agree with Julie. Bling bling bikes came later, when they stopped fitting those useful harmonica boots over the front legs. I believe the F2 was the first with shaved, shiny legs and IIRC even a crome cover over the drive chain. Every now and then one sees these Honda's with parts polished to a degree they never ever had before, not even in the showrooms, nor in the ads. Personally I prefer the original 'satin' look.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2022, 08:19:36 PM by deltarider »

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2022, 08:52:36 PM »
I remove all casting marks, unless they are interesting, like Japanese symbols I found on fork sliders recently. They are unsightly, allow dirt to grab a hold onto, allow corrosion a foothold. Plus to me they show a lack of attention to detail, of course we are all different. I dislike the patina look that some seem to like, to me that makes the bike look untidy and unloved, I much prefer mine to be good looking but rideable unlike show bikes, although I did win a few shows with the L reg 500 when I restored it the first time, which is odd as I never entered the shows in the first place, I got persuaded to enter by the organisers when all I wanted to do was look at the other bikes.

Don't know what you mean by shaved legs DR, yes the 550F2 was the first to lose the fork bellows but it looked miles better for it IMO, of course it also allowed the fork stanchions to be hit by stones etc but it also allowed a better view to spot leaking fork seals, it's more streamlined and modern. You can't really mean you prefer the old horrible 500 chainguard to the 550 chrome one, to me that made the bike look OLD even when it was new, they might as well have fitted a bottom guard so the chain was fully enclosed like a C50. Couldn't wait to bin that. Nothing wrong with a bit of bling, just not OTT.

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2022, 09:01:06 PM »
I love my rubber harmonica boots. How many here can say they never had to replace a front leg seal? Mine after 46 years and over 138.000 still don't leak... and yes, the legs underneath look a bit rusty. Who cares?
It's a matter of taste ofcourse but a chrome cover over the no doubt dirtiest part of the bike, the drive chain. I find it ironic. Chrome is for H.D lovers. In the 70s and 80s no owners of CB Fours polished their bikes to a degree, you see now. Even in the ads they weren't.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal