Author Topic: Back with a 500 ....  (Read 13152 times)

Offline SPR

• SOHC Pro
  • 1972 500/4 K1
    • View Profile
Re: Back with a 500 ....
« Reply #165 on: February 27, 2023, 10:55:30 AM »
It’s not anything I’ve come across before - and is definitely the same profile as original.

Julie - believe it or not I don’t own a magnet !!

I’ve attached a close up - it does look like a metal piece sandwiched between the outer clear plastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline SPR

• SOHC Pro
  • 1972 500/4 K1
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 27, 2023, 11:10:50 AM »
Simon, if you get chance before fitting, could you tell me what material it's made of please. Does a magnet stick to it?

Julie - see previous reply - I found a magnetic tool tray and it doesn't seem to be metal ...

They produced a youtube video showing installation which would suggest there is some extra to cut off .... do you want me to save it and send it you once complete ?

https://youtu.be/c6_IArRGdBo

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 27, 2023, 11:40:33 AM »
Looks to be the same way as Honda manufactured them. Looking at the vid you can clearly see where the tank has been scratched to bits by the installation of the retaining clips, look @49 secs and just before, deep marks through the paintwork reaching right to bare metal. Then imagine the U shape full of water, holding water right up against those scratches, sure fire recipe for rust to form and where you wouldn't spot it. It travels up the tank and before you know it you've got a leaking seam.

The Honda bead was quite well known for reacting to UV, it would go milky white and it would start to spread open, most likely due to the rust being formed underneath.

I like the idea of the trim but I'm not sure it's worth the problems it brings.

How tight is the trim on the tank without the clips?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 11:47:47 AM by Oddjob »
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline SPR

• SOHC Pro
  • 1972 500/4 K1
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 27, 2023, 03:43:42 PM »
Ken

Not fitted it yet or even offered it up .... tank was full

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 27, 2023, 04:39:26 PM »
Modern plastics have come a long way in terms of  uV resistance Simon - I would not compare a product manufactured 50 years ago with todays equivalent.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 27, 2023, 10:37:40 PM »
Trouble is Ted the milky colour could just as easily have been water trapped inside the U shape slowly corroding the metal inside the plastic. I honestly don't know, all I do know is that is the way they looked after a few years.

I do know mine were fitted to a brand new tank and within less than a year the clips were so rusty you could see dirty rust water coming out of the trim. I lent the bike to the BIL for a week, he wanted to show off on it. It came back with the tank trim in a carrier bag, I was really annoyed at him, you don't start mucking with a bike belonging to someone else even if it is family. He explained he was concerned at the amount of rust he could see and didn't want it getting any worse. You could see all the scratch marks caused by the clips on a brand new tank, they'd all started to rust.

I ended up selling the tank trim set to Graham as I didn't want to refit it due to the rust problems it was causing.

I don't mind the trim, I just thought I should warn others of the problems fitting a set can cause.

Offline Pangloss

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 27, 2023, 11:56:48 PM »
Opportune post..I have same issues as posted above...I need complete trim for a "new" Tank I purchased over ten years ago AND need to address the rust problem on my old original tank. Can you let me know where to get the trim from ?  Thanks

As an aside I'm also chasing up seat cover and trim..

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 28, 2023, 12:49:55 AM »
Firm called Italian Mold Labs, only seem to be on Facebook at the moment, can't find a website.

Offline Pangloss

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 28, 2023, 01:23:10 AM »
Thanks...Found their FB page...bit of an "ouch"  price   100euros....oh well

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 28, 2023, 01:37:24 AM »
Thanks...Found their FB page...bit of an "ouch"  price   100euros....oh well
Given the work that's gone into making them, it's a bargain in my opinion.

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 28, 2023, 10:09:33 AM »
Trouble is Ted the milky colour could just as easily have been water trapped inside the U shape slowly corroding the metal inside the plastic. I honestly don't know, all I do know is that is the way they looked after a few years.

I do know mine were fitted to a brand new tank and within less than a year the clips were so rusty you could see dirty rust water coming out of the trim. I lent the bike to the BIL for a week, he wanted to show off on it. It came back with the tank trim in a carrier bag, I was really annoyed at him, you don't start mucking with a bike belonging to someone else even if it is family. He explained he was concerned at the amount of rust he could see and didn't want it getting any worse. You could see all the scratch marks caused by the clips on a brand new tank, they'd all started to rust.

I ended up selling the tank trim set to Graham as I didn't want to refit it due to the rust problems it was causing.

I don't mind the trim, I just thought I should warn others of the problems fitting a set can cause.

I completely agree with you Ken about the use of steel clips to retain mouldings on vehicles it's a potential source of rusting almost immediately.

Hopefully a pampered garaged bike used mainly in the dry should be okay for many years.

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 28, 2023, 10:41:02 AM »
Pampered, as in never washed? As that’s a source of water to get into the moulding, unless of course you use a dryer to remove it but would that remove all of it?

Not saying don’t buy the trim, I’m saying find an alternative method of attaching it.

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 28, 2023, 11:05:44 AM »
If you used clear silicone to hold it on, using masking tape to keep it in place until set, you could avoid using metal clips altogether.
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

Offline SPR

• SOHC Pro
  • 1972 500/4 K1
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 28, 2023, 11:09:51 AM »
What you have to ensure is not leaving any pockets without silicone .... or it could be just as bad as a water trap as using clips

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 28, 2023, 11:37:06 AM »
Pampered, as in never washed? As that’s a source of water to get into the moulding, unless of course you use a dryer to remove it but would that remove all of it?

Not saying don’t buy the trim, I’m saying find an alternative method of attaching it.

How about waterless vehicle cleaner the more expensive ones work brilliantly ?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal