Author Topic: Zinc Plating  (Read 6445 times)

Offline colin400four

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Zinc Plating
« on: July 11, 2010, 05:07:00 PM »
Hi to all,

Bought myself a home zinc plating kit so had a go today, here are some pics of the results, quite easy to use and I am pleased with the results.

Most of the items were finished in a blue passivate, but some I finished in a yellow pasivate which does not show up well in the pics but the blue finish gives a clear blue bright finish where as the yellow finish gives a gold with hints of red and green.

The best way to get a decent finish is to clean / polish / de rust the item to be plated before you start as any imperfections will always be in the final result.

COLIN.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Zinc Plating
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 10:19:06 PM »
Interesting stuff, was that the kit used in ccm? keep us posted on how it lasts and how much abuse it takes.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

rigwit

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 01:28:57 AM »
was it a "Frost" kit  ?

Offline colin400four

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 05:53:11 AM »
I got the kit from here

otorcycle-Plating-/250661501633?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a5c96fac1

COLIN.

Offline colin400four

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 05:57:10 AM »
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/the-plating-shop

or try this link as the first one does not seem to work !!

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 08:28:32 AM »
I had a kit like that i was initially well impressed, but i must have done something wrong as the finshed items rusted after less than a year on the bike, a word of warning to anyone using these kits, i ruined the chrome work on two motorbikes , i had the kit set up in a small workshop and was contantly using the kit to plate parts of several bikes, the repeated use contaminated the air and as a result etched the chrome on two bikes and made other things in my shop rust.
I might buy another kit but set it up in the shed away from any harm
Pete

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 08:21:30 PM »
I worked in aircraft engineering for a while and the plating / anodizing etc was all in a seperate building from anything else, wondered why that was! thought it a bit black magic / alchemy type stuff.

My impression was that you had to have quite a thick (relatively speaking) coat of zinc to give a valid protection in our lovely climate.

rigwit

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2010, 07:20:05 PM »
Frosts do a lot of kits  this ling to first page but look at page  2   anodising  mmmmmmmmmmmmm
http://www.frost.co.uk/productList.asp?catID=26&frostCat=Electroplating

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2010, 08:58:55 PM »
It was a H.M. Gov place, so effectively anodizing sponsored by the Queen! mainly yellow / golden as it was used for crack detection in aero-engineering parts but the bloke who operated it was a biker so a few extras would slip through unnoticed. Also had a vapour blaster cabinet that was brill for bike parts.

Happy days, long gone.

rigwit

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2010, 12:00:12 AM »
yeah for me to  bit off topic  but wish it was the 80,s again had full use of welding machine shop spray booths  etc etc   if only you know then what would happen today/tommorow.......  the horse and gate come into it  and murphys law   ;D

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2010, 05:12:59 PM »
I did'nt have much luck with one of those, but founs a local later who would do an ice cream carton full of bits for

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal