Author Topic: Taper roller head race bearings  (Read 368 times)

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
Taper roller head race bearings
« on: June 20, 2023, 08:57:02 PM »
Decided it is time to change the head races and everyone says tapered is best. Funny the ones on DSS don't look like they are tapered to me. I found what I'm looking for a bit cheaper even on this page here: https://www.motorcycleproducts.co.uk/steering-head-bearings/honda-cb400-f2-four-1978/5/34094/8946?sort=2d
Trouble is there are two sizes to choose from, which is it to be?
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2 called Elen.

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Taper roller head race bearings
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2023, 09:01:31 PM »
Get the Hendler kit, the other is a normal ball race kit.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2023, 09:19:49 PM »
Thanks Oddjob, ordering now!  ;D
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2 called Elen.

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2023, 09:34:53 PM »
A bit late in the day but the Pyramid Parts are excellent and come with a better bottom seal as part of the kit. Good branded bearings as well at a decent price - NTN or Koyo.

It's worth measuring the original bottom bearing height plus any spacer then ensure the replacement part is not taller at the bottom but close enough to avoid either running out of thread at the top or it not clearing at the bottom.
If you get it wrong there are pullers that will enable you to remove the bottom inner race without damaging it
I did not use the top seal they provide as it left the top thread a little short. I used their kit on my 500.
On my 400 I was not aware of a suitable kit - the one I bought ended up as a hybrid with a taper roller at the bottom & a plain caged ball bearing type at the top as I was out of thread. The Pyramid kits show the sizes available plus there is some fitting guidance though the site is a bit oddly laid out.

Others here have found the Pyramid kit for the 400 fits - I think Oldchuffer used one on his 400.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2023, 10:11:40 PM by McCabe-Thiele (Ted) »
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal