Author Topic: Rust removers...  (Read 1173 times)

Online McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Rust removers...
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2023, 10:29:39 AM »
Bilthamber Deox-C is a great product.

Bilt Hamber Deox C Concentrated Rust Remover (1000g) https://amzn.eu/d/bndF2MG

Just read some reviews on the above where a chap restored some car brake discs complete with photos - do you have any idea what the main active ingredient is?

I know back in the 1960's our paint sprayers used something similar on new body panels that had some flash rust from long term storage.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2023, 10:41:12 AM »

James, I've not tried this but heard good results. What dilution do you use?
Normally 100g per litre of warm/hot water. So 1kg makes 20 litres of de-rusting solution, working out at about £1 per litre (compared to circa £6/liter for evaporust).

Online McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2023, 11:01:53 AM »
Mr Google seems to say the BH Deox C is Citric Acid based.

Whilst having a shave an hour or so ago I had an old memory surface from when I worked in the Analytical Process Lab at Associated Octel back in 1967 as part of my "thick sandwich degree course".

One of my monthly jobs was to dilute some of the highly concentrated acid with water to make stock reagents that were used daily in the Lab.
I was actually quite nervous of the process as I had to add a precise volume of the acid to the water as the temperature of the water rose it was important not to rush the process to avoid acid spitting. The strong acid was contained in large glass vessels iirc with a steel wire support cage packed with some sort of brown wadding.

Due to the passage of time I can't remember what the acid was - not done in a fume cupboard due to the size of the flasks - just safety specs, face mask and rubber type gauntlets plus a rubber type  apron.

Afterwards I would always wash my face and arms feeling itchy for the next hour - even my scalp demanded scratching.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2023, 12:20:07 PM by McCabe-Thiele (Ted) »
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2023, 12:43:14 PM »
White vinegar.
I cleaned the interior of a tank like that, but then it turned black!  :o
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2 called Elen.

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2023, 12:46:47 PM »
Just brick acid. Cheap, costs pence, reusable. Beats evaporust every time and certainly better than citric acid!

Thanks, I just read about it. Alas, I wouldn't want to keep it in the house too toxic, I have some COPD and I avoid risk as suggested in my original post, if in an exaggerated way!  :o
I brake for animals!

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2023, 01:54:09 PM »
Just brick acid. Cheap, costs pence, reusable. Beats evaporust every time and certainly better than citric acid!

Thanks, I just read about it. Alas, I wouldn't want to keep it in the house too toxic, I have some COPD and I avoid risk as suggested in my original post, if in an exaggerated way!  :o

Obviously a non medical opinion here (have worked with strong chemicals and aware of the aromatic effect) and just checked some of the "Flow" solution in this quite hot day, you have to get your nose right in the container to even smell it at all. Certainly it seems very benign a product that may suit in this regard.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2023, 02:30:39 PM »

It all depends on what you are trying to get rust off.
Frame is easy, wire brush and if it has gone too far, cut it out and replace. Citric acid works well in petrol tanks  ;)

Offline 3scs

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2023, 05:48:39 PM »
I used citric acid on this worked a treat

Offline Seabeowner

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2023, 07:03:35 PM »

I used Deox-C on the insides of a tank recently. Cheap from DK as pretty grim inside. Did the shake, rattle and roll with a load of small metal bits with some other fluid to start with. Then half a day of electrolysis using an old battery charger and then the Deox finished it off brilliantly. Best served hot, so I insulated the tank to keep it hot for as long as possible. But only took a few hours.
Phil
1971  CB500K0  Candy Jade Green or Candy Gold
1973  CB500K1  Candy Ruby Red
1975  CB550F1   Shiny Orange
1978  CB550K     Excel Black

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2023, 05:33:49 PM »
Thought I'd add something to thread, anecdotal, we treated quite a few old bits and tools with thst "Flow" product, one of which has been left outside for six weeks now and with no rust response at all.

It's a carpenter combination square, old type with hardwood handle, brass fitting and plain steel blade with no surface treatment at all. Bad corrosion converted, lumpiness remains, but exactly as when we took it out of the treatment.

Has no flash rusting or other side effects, left the brass alone and the wood with normsl appearance. 

May not be as aggressive as other chemical removal in totality of oxidised waste materials, but for things like inside of tanks etc it may give stable and apparently longer lasting results.

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2023, 07:48:41 PM »
Thought I'd add something to thread, anecdotal, we treated quite a few old bits and tools with thst "Flow" product, one of which has been left outside for six weeks now and with no rust response at all.
What be this 'flow product', are we talking about less than precious bodily fluids?  ;D
I brake for animals!

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2023, 08:30:59 PM »
This link I included early in thread  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363998603855  just seems very benign but curiously effective.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal