Author Topic: Doms CB550F1 project  (Read 24073 times)

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Doms CB550F1 project
« Reply #255 on: September 11, 2023, 09:01:19 PM »
Depends what marks are on them Ted, not the letter but the number. If they are all number 2 then they'll be fine and he can reuse existing shells.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: September 11, 2023, 09:13:28 PM »
You can not go by crank markings as, the markings are for a new crank and not a worn one. Everything needs to be measured and matched. All con rods have a weight in grams and must match and that goes for pistons also  ;)

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: September 11, 2023, 09:15:25 PM »
I disagree. So long as the crank doesn't show wear it will be fine.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: September 11, 2023, 09:25:28 PM »
The eyes lie to people that don't know what to look for but, measuring up is the only way to get a accurate measurement.
I would never build a customers engine and assume that it looks OK  :o 

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: September 11, 2023, 10:32:29 PM »
Only problemGraham its only old sods like me and thee that can read a mic accurately, and know how to zero it!
For home mechanics plastigauge is a boon but can get expensive on shells

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: September 11, 2023, 11:37:10 PM »
Only problemGraham its only old sods like me and thee that can read a mic accurately, and know how to zero it!

I always wondered why i have that big tool box full of measuring equipment. Next time you do a rebore, as long as the piston fits in the hole it should be fine mate  :o :o :o

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: September 11, 2023, 11:50:34 PM »
Depends what marks are on them Ted, not the letter but the number. If they are all number 2 then they'll be fine and he can reuse existing shells.

Might be difficult to find a Conrod of the same number - could it just be a worn Gudgeon Pin causing the problem?
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: September 12, 2023, 02:16:49 AM »
I can do you a set of 4 rods if you need them, would have yo check codes on them

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: September 12, 2023, 04:49:04 AM »

That’s a completely condescending comment Bryan and frankly insulting to a lot of members. Using a micrometer isn’t hard and digital micrometers have a zero button these days.

I’ve build hundreds of engines and never ever used plastigauge, it’s not rocket science to spot wear. It doesn’t take years of experience to spot it either. Most members on here are more than capable of tackling these engines, it’s insulting that you seem to suggest that only you can do these simple engine rebuilds. It’s not got VTEC, it’s not a V4, it’s a extremely simple design that almost everybody can get their head around.

Offline DomP

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: September 12, 2023, 08:11:28 AM »
So going back to my last question-

Is it good practice to replace all needle, roller bearings in the gearbox etc or if they are smooth with no play can they be reused?

If I were to plastigauge what colour should I use, from looking I think red?
1975 XS650B
1976 CB550F1 current project
2012 Triumph Daytona 675

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: September 12, 2023, 08:20:20 AM »
They can be reused if still good and the best way to spot if they do need replacing is have a good look at were they run on the gear box shafts. They show signs on the shafts first  ;)

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: September 12, 2023, 08:59:19 AM »
Ken, in no way was it meant that way, its not condescending as most builders on here have not had the experience of using micrometers and verniers are just not accurate enough.
It is my opinion that standard micrometers are not accurate enough to measure the very small differences in pin tolerance the Honda use.
I know originally they used air gauges that are accurate to the 4th decimal place in metric and i dont think there is a hand tool made that can be that good.
I can remember being taught in a big machine shop and every student got a different size when measuring the same practice piece, and all were different from the quoted size.
I am not as accurate as i used to be and on the last 400 was only certain that all the pins were the same size.

This was not meant to offend in any way and i would more have expected Graham to be upset at being call an old fart, but i did include me in that.
There are some excellant engineers on here but most seem to be home enthusiasts who i am more than willing to help out using whater expensive kit i have aquired over the past 50 years

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: September 12, 2023, 09:11:33 AM »
It is not worth any member going out and buying the correct measuring equipment for 1 or 2 engines. I have lost count on how many members i have had in my workshop asking, if i could measure up everything so they know it is correct. And some i have found that they had at least one rod that was slightly oval. That would of all ended in tears if they had used it.  ;)

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: September 12, 2023, 10:08:40 AM »
I agree Graham, by the time you have decent mics from 0 to 100mm(about 4, i dont like multi anvil ones) decent dti, bore gauge, what do you recon £500 retail?
When i used to do a lot of cars, mostly kent and essex fords, you could guarantee an oval rod if it knocked

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal