Author Topic: Left side handlebar switch question?  (Read 1951 times)

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Left side handlebar switch question?
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2023, 11:36:21 AM »
bryan is correct, the black + feeds the horn/flasher, dark blue is high beam and light green to horn. On the 400 and 550 the black with yellow tracer comes from main fusebox to supply dip switch
Love the 500 and 550 have a 500 called Lazarus under restoration

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2023, 01:34:55 PM »
Forgot to add to check connections at horn as that switch needs a ground loop not a black +ve feed so if a black dissapears into loom you need to disconnect it and put a wire to earth, sorry cant remember what i built it with

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2023, 02:59:01 PM »
No worries Bryan I had to alter the horn wiring on my 400.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2023, 10:51:16 AM by McCabe-Thiele (Ted) »
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2023, 02:36:53 PM »
Just when I thought the wiring was sorted a strange back circuit. Everything else works as it should.

I was checking the number plate illumination with the ignition key in the lighting park position fully clockwise.
For some reason I put the bar switch to side lights position -the ignition / neutral switch lights illuminated!

Oops another gremlin to sort.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2023, 03:46:57 PM by McCabe-Thiele (Ted) »

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2023, 04:19:48 PM »
Mix up between brown and brown/white I'd imagine
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2023, 06:00:09 PM »
Mix up between brown and brown/white I'd imagine

Only thing that has changed since I first completed the wiring is I have connected the coils - horn.I'll check the brown & brown/white wiring as you have flagged it up Ken.

I will remove the headlight and have a look at the Spaghetti - I need to make a proper record of my wiring as the odd wires are not as per the wiring diagram colours  due to having the wrong switches.

If push comes to shove I will disconnect the parking light as I have never used them on a bike or a car for decades.
Obviously I would prefer them to work so that option is the least desirable.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2023, 11:34:29 PM by McCabe-Thiele (Ted) »

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2023, 10:36:48 AM »
Now that you've mentioned 'horn'. Realise the horn was wired differently for different markets. Consult the appropiate wiring diagram.

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2023, 11:27:48 AM »
Now that you've mentioned 'horn'. Realise the horn was wired differently for different markets. Consult the appropiate wiring diagram.

I have wired my Horn so one side goes to Earth the other side is connected to faded wire looks like pale green-blue at the point in the loom that has the coil feed wires - same colour comes out of the main loom at the headlamp end where it connects to the horn push button of a similar colour.

Horn works as it should - everything works fine until I move the right hand bar switch from 0 position to either P or H then with the key in the far right position to leave on the parking lights. With switch at O everything is normal - then if I move the right bar switch to P or H then the ignition comes on.
I suspect that the fault lies in the power feed to the lights somehow powering the ignition. 

I have eliminated the ignition switch being faulty as I tried a new spare. I am currently checking & documenting all the wires in the headlamp bowl.
As I do not have the correct bar switches I do have a couple of wires that are connected against the colours to make everything work.
I suspect these are the route cause of my back feed.

I have made a bridge to connect the following wrong colours:-
Left bar switch (Male Bullet) Black/Yellow Trace to Right bar switch (Male Bullet)  Black/Red trace.

Lastly this is probably the problem area.
Main loom at Headlamp end has a Black Double female connector block (live via ign switch).
This 4 way block has following connections - all male bullet connectors.
Black wire to the Left Bar switch.
Black/grey trace to right bar switch.
Black/Blue trace to right bar switch.

Kojaycat sell an A3 laminated coloured wiring diagram for the 500 - I have asked them if it is the correct for a 500 K1 - waiting for a reply.
My switches are for the CB400 /500 K2 / 550 F1-F2 purchased in error tbh but think I can make them work.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2023, 12:13:37 PM by McCabe-Thiele (Ted) »

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2023, 02:12:28 PM »
ONLY black wires should be connected to black loom wires, nothing else, no black with any other trace colours.

Are you slightly colour blind Ted as I can't see any black/grey or black/blue wires in the wiring diagram for the 550. There's a black/yellow and a black/red in the headlight wiring and a brown/blue but not the colours you've listed. Disconnect them and see if the problems stops.

And yes I know yours is a 500 but the switchgear isn't.

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2023, 02:37:49 PM »
From what I can make out Ted, the park position makes the brown wire live. It should only feed the rear light by rights, if you've connected any brown/white wires into that bullet connector then the would make all the brown/white wires live when the switch was in park. Any position on the headlight switch (except off) on the right hand switchgear would make contact with that wire so any wire connecting to that would also become live, hence why the whole system starts to power up.

Black/Yellow is the feed for the lights on the 550, it's gets it's power from the 3 fuse box via the headlight fuse, that's powered by the black/red wire, it's wired into the starter button, so that when the button is pressed the lights go out to avoid drain on the battery when the starter is spinning. Not a feature the 500 had, so you may find the lights also going out when the starter fires up. You could just wire the black/yellow into the black feed and that would also work. In this case that's ok as it's a compromise on getting 550 switches to work with 500 wiring.

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2023, 02:40:58 PM »
As I have aged some colours are harder to tell apart especially with faded wiring.

I have spent the morning recording my wire colours and where I have not matched colours - I'm done in for today but I did remove one wire & it cured the ignition light illuminating via the P & H but lost the front side light working.

I'm done in for today so tomorrow with a clear head looking at what Ken & Bryan have flagged up the solution is getting closer.

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2023, 03:04:40 PM »
If you connect the sidelight into the brown/white circuit Ted you should get that back but only when the normal lights are on. The front sidelight won't work in park.

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2023, 03:40:11 PM »
remember my post earlier in this thread, the sidelight and rear lamp are powered by the brown wire NOT the brown/white wire which powers the speedo/tach illumination. so when the handlebar switch is on P the brown wire is energised (from black wire I think) then travels back to the ignition switch TL1 terminal then bridges to TL2 which sends the lecky to the front sidelamp and rear lamp. when the park position on the ignition switch is engaged it connects the two tl terminals directly therefore lighting sidelamp/rear lamp without ignition being on. It took me ages to work it out on mine as it is not how you would expect it to work
Love the 500 and 550 have a 500 called Lazarus under restoration

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2023, 07:47:49 PM »
Timely reminder Mick - I just removed a single wire Black/Yellow trace wire from the right side bar switch that was connected to the solid Brown side lamp wire.

This has stopped the ignition powering up when key in parking light position. All I have lost now is the side lamps & instrument lights now not working when switch is in the P or H postion but head/dip fine. In park ignition switch position side lights work.

I have put a test lamp on the Black/Yellow trace wire this becomes live when the right bar switch is in position P or H. Looks as though I just need to connect this wire to the normal side lamp power feed wherever that is.

Kojaycat do not sell the right wiring diagram so I will look at the various ones I have to find the right connection point. So close once again.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2023, 07:59:28 PM by McCabe-Thiele (Ted) »

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2023, 08:12:02 PM »
remember my post earlier in this thread, the sidelight and rear lamp are powered by the brown wire NOT the brown/white wire which powers the speedo/tach illumination. so when the handlebar switch is on P the brown wire is energised (from black wire I think) then travels back to the ignition switch TL1 terminal then bridges to TL2 which sends the lecky to the front sidelamp and rear lamp. when the park position on the ignition switch is engaged it connects the two tl terminals directly therefore lighting sidelamp/rear lamp without ignition being on. It took me ages to work it out on mine as it is not how you would expect it to work

This is true IF Ted was using the 500 switchgear but the 550 ones use different contacts and different coloured wires as a result Mick.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal