Author Topic: Left side handlebar switch question?  (Read 1950 times)

Online McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Left side handlebar switch question?
« on: August 26, 2023, 06:36:37 PM »
When I replaced the handlebars on my 500K1 I went for the concealed switch wiring look, this has meant replacing my switch gear to suit to avoid a dogs dinner look.

I am some way off connecting up the wiring, the right side switch gear has 7 wires as against 6 in the old switch so there will be a spare I guess.

The left side switch is for a 500 K2 or 400 so it has a Pass switch included but here is the conundrum my new switch has 8 wires as against 11 wires on the old unit! So I have 3 fewer wires but an added function in the Pass switch.

So do I need a different switch or is it possible to make it fit - as an added complication the colours are mostly different?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2023, 06:42:31 PM by McCabe-Thiele (Ted) »
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Left side handlebar switch question?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2023, 07:10:36 PM »
A UK K1 is supposed to have the pass switch Ted. It's the USA version that doesn't.

The extra wires are normally for the US market, buzzer wires etc.

Sounds like you have the same switchgear as the 550, high/low on the switch?
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2023, 07:50:24 PM »
Orange with white stripe and blue with white stripe would be front funning lights and not used, would need to know all the colours to guess the other one not there

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2023, 07:51:58 PM »
A UK K1 is supposed to have the pass switch Ted. It's the USA version that doesn't.

The extra wires are normally for the US market, buzzer wires etc.

Sounds like you have the same switchgear as the 550, high/low on the switch?

My switch has L/R indicator, Horn/Pass switch & Hi/Low beam switch. My bike had a US rear number plate that begs the question does it have a US loom or are they the same?

I was minded to replace the loom but replaced the connector blocks instead, sellers seem to show the wiring loom for a Ki & K2 as the same. UK 500K1 part number 32100-323-040

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2023, 07:58:24 PM »
Looms are the same Ted, switches are different, front blinkers and no front sidelight

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2023, 08:00:47 PM »
Orange with white stripe and blue with white stripe would be front funning lights and not used, would need to know all the colours to guess the other one not there

Old switch has Orange/White stripe & Blue/White stripe some colours are hard to guess due to fading.
I was just worried if they changed the way the switches work between K1 & K2 versions. Looks like I will have to do some testing with my AVO meter.

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2023, 08:02:10 PM »
Looms are the same Ted, switches are different, front blinkers and no front sidelight

Good to hear the looms are the same as the loom was in pretty good condition generally, just had to re-tape some parts & fit new connector blocks.

The extra wire unaccounted for could be a different horn wiring arrangement.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2023, 08:18:10 PM by McCabe-Thiele (Ted) »

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2023, 08:26:28 PM »
Early horns had 1 wire that grounded to bars like starter button, later ones had2 wires and sent power to the horn, you need to know which sort as the wiring at the horn is different
Early has black power then wire to switch
Later has wire from switch and a loop to ground

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2023, 10:40:07 PM »
It can be confusing with differences between US UK Europe specs, the type with hi/lo on left is more like 550 and means the rh has to have off/park/headlamp positions. There will be differences from the wiring diagram i sent you, I find its easier to draw out the seperate circuits to make it easier.
Love the 500 and 550 have a 500 called Lazarus under restoration

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2023, 11:11:06 PM »
It can be confusing with differences between US UK Europe specs, the type with hi/lo on left is more like 550 and means the rh has to have off/park/headlamp positions. There will be differences from the wiring diagram i sent you, I find its easier to draw out the separate circuits to make it easier.

I have the right side handlebar switch with the three positions off/P/H looks similar to my 400.

Oddly enough I have been drawing diagrams to show the switch connections as you have suggested, I printed off the B&W diagram you sent me as an aid.
I suspect some of my problems are with faded wiring colours making light blue & grey look similar.

I've done an XL sheet showing all the wires that go into the headlamp from the main loom denoting male or female connectors and what I think the colours are.
On my 400 I did a similar exercise to match up the connections. I would sooner spend time trying it out on paper  than burning out a new switch or short a loom.

Not helped by my aftermarket switches having some different colours to boot. I need to re-learn my AVO meter skills on U-tube. 8) 8) 8)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2023, 11:30:12 PM by McCabe-Thiele (Ted) »

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2023, 07:09:37 AM »
Have you identified your model bike? That would lead you to the appropiate wiring diagram.
If you suspect you're dealing with an aftermarket switch unit, this may help: https://honda4parts.nl/product_info.php?products_id=3434&language=en&ceid=fcbfa29501f44034d4f2dd06ff72ad01

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2023, 07:25:58 AM »
My switch does not have the buzzer wire, only difference in the remaining wire colours is I have Black/Yellow  instead of Brown/Red my other 7 wires are identical.

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2023, 09:17:49 AM »
Still don't know what 'area code' your model is, but anyway, don't be fooled by wires and connectors which are not connected. You'll find them on any model. For instance my model has the wires lightblue white and orangewhite in the headlamp bucket for the -A models, but they were not connected on models for Europe. If you cut them, you have two spare wires ending in a perfect Y connector which can be used for something else.

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2023, 10:12:14 AM »
Just bought 3 switches, 2 dismantled but almost complete, casings unbroken. Both off a 550f by the look of them. The other is a l/h 550k3 switch. Looks ok and complete. Will get all the casings ceramic coated and clean up all the contacts etc then sell them on. The k3 one is kinda rare these days. All genuine btw.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2023, 10:41:18 AM »
As far as I know my 500 is mostly K1 a UK model but there was a USA rear fender fitted. Not unusual for a 50 yrvold bike.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal