Author Topic: Still carb troubles  (Read 939 times)

Offline billdn

• SOHC Expert
  • never ever buy a basket case again!
    • View Profile
Still carb troubles
« on: September 04, 2023, 06:15:31 PM »
Back in February I posted saying I think I'd sorted my troubles with carbs not shutting down . In April I went for a Boyer electronic ignition complete with micro coils and I still have the same problem with the carbs !
There's quite a long time between posts because my wife was very ill with lung cancer and sadly passed on 30th June , so shed time was the last thing on my mind!
However one of her last wishes was "Get that bl##dy bike sorted!"  So I'm now back in the mood to try and sort it.

From the top :-
Boyer fitted and bike starts/runs. Using a timing light its correct.
Tappets adjusted.
Have to fiddle with idle adjuster to set at 1200rpm .
Idle mixture screw set at 2 turns out.
Plugs very sooty
Open throttle and revs soar and doesn't drop back to 1200rpm when released. Have to fiddle with idle adjuster to bring back down.
Sprayed carb manifold connectors to barrels with Carb cleaner and no effect , so not drawing in air, better not they're new - good
Remove carb tops and sprayed carb cleaner in but slides don't appear to be sticking either.
I've noticed that if you press the top of brass hexagonal nut on the carbs this will reduce the revs but too hard and it stalls FWIW.
Prior all carbs stripped, ultrasonic cleaned, carb cleaner on jets with jet brushes etc etc retaining original brass and new seals from NJ.
Bench synced at least twice.
Standard air box and new air filter

I've no idea what to do next! I have an old lawn mower, never serviced, starts first time every spring,  think I'll put engine from that in instead.

To me it's pretty obviously  carb related, (I think  ::)) as there is good spark and timing is ok. Not got to the stage with setting Boyer to full advance  yet which requires 4500rpm as revs all over the place.
Cheers peeps! 8)

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Still carb troubles
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2023, 06:21:44 PM »
So very sorry to hear of your loss Bill 😢😢😢
Also so sorry to hear you're still battling the carb gremlins 😁😁😁😁
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2023, 06:23:17 PM »
Very sorry to hear about the wife.

You could try this as to me it sounds as though the throttle lifters are set too high, especially if the carbs have been apart.

Get the adjuster screws, the ones with the little 8mm headed nuts on and the flat bladed screwdriver slot. Screw them all down as far as they can go. You may now struggle to get the bike to tickover and starting will involve a little jiggling with the throttle. Once you get it started adjust the main tickover screw to see if it will idle. If so, now vac the carbs to equalise them.

See if that works.

Before you do that post a pic of the adjusters so we can see how high they are now.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2023, 08:14:41 PM by Oddjob »
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline Matt_Harrington

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2023, 07:03:50 PM »
Bill, sorry to hear about your wife......

As Ken says, the adjusting of the lifters can have a remarkable affect on the tickover and settling back to idle.
Matt
CD175 - To be restored
Triumph Speed 400

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2023, 07:13:20 PM »
Sorry for your loss Bill.

That sounds to me like the quadrant is not positioned correctly when it was reassembled. Got the tee shirt for that one, took me ages to find it but the symptoms were as described above. Repositioned things correctly and it was spot on. Unfortunately the old memory won't allow me to remember how I fixed it but someone will know.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2023, 07:26:15 PM »
Sorry again to hear about Rose, good to read you are taking her advice & cracking on with the 400.

Can't remember without trawling through your old posts if you did a bench sync or not.
It was beginners luck with my 400 as I did the bench sync after rebuilding the carbs I think it's called to get all the sliders equal iirc I used a 1/8" drill bit shaft to get them all the same.

The below links I found very handy as well as the video & tips here.

.https://www.vintagebikebuilder.com/cb350-400f-carb-rebuild-demonstration.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFTOfYl5BSc

Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2023, 07:50:49 PM »
Can't help with the carbs Bill but so sorry to hear about your loss and hope you get her wish sorted!

Sent from my moto g(50) using Tapatalk

Current Bikes:-
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CR750 Replica (1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)
Kawasaki ZZR1100D3 (1995)
Kawasaki ZZR250 (1990) Project (Going on eBay ASAP)

Offline Multiman

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2023, 09:13:22 PM »
So sorry to hear of your loss.
But heartened to hear you are pressing on with getting the 400 sorted.
If the advice above doesn't work my similar problems were sorted when I got the correct brass in all the carbs.
Best wishes
Tim

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2023, 09:47:35 PM »
Bill, sounds like the bench sync wasnt quite right, i had the same problem with the 400 carb jigsaw i had for a member on here, what Ken suggested is a good idea, if you can get them off, undo the tickover screw all the way then unadjust all yhe little adjusters till you are certain all the slides bottom out, pick one to use as set point and lock small adjuster then using big tickover screw adjust till smallest, undamaged, drill shank, idealy 1mm, just slides under flat side of throttle slide(engine side) the adjust all small adjusters so all slides are same using the drill as a feeler gauge.
If you had them totally apart check you havent mixed the slides up as they are handed and you would not be the first to make that mistake mate.
Condolances on your wife and we will do all we can to get that *^##*^bike sorted

Offline billdn

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2023, 09:41:08 AM »
Sorry for your loss Bill.

That sounds to me like the quadrant is not positioned correctly when it was reassembled. Got the tee shirt for that one, took me ages to find it but the symptoms were as described above. Repositioned things correctly and it was spot on. Unfortunately the old memory won't allow me to remember how I fixed it but someone will know.

Thanks Roy,
Not sure what you mean by the quadrant ? Do you mean the part the the push/pull throttle cables connect to? not sure how that could be misaligned but every day is a school day with this.
Cheers
Bill

Offline billdn

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2023, 10:15:10 AM »
Thanks all for the thoughts and support, it's been a rough road .
but inwards and onwards!
I'll try Ken's suggestion first and then if needs be, and fear it will , I'll take off the carbs, again and do yet another bench sync. The guy on the production line building the 400 must have loved his job of fitting the carbs !
Might be a day or two as got to help the oldies (parents) for a few days after today.
But as Arnie says "I'll be back"

Offline Johnny4428

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2023, 10:39:54 AM »
So sorry for your loss too Bill! But power to your elbow for stepping out the other side and getting on with things! Good to have a focus and distraction. Good luck with the running issues.
1952 Cymoto on Triumph bicycle.
1961 Matchless G3
1974 Honda CB550K1. Running resto,
1978 Honda CB550K3.
1999 ST1100 Pan European 50th Anniversary.
1975,1980,1984,1986 Honda C90’s
1973 Honda CB750K3

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2023, 10:56:51 AM »
I will go back and check my 350F build thread when I get a chance. My carbs came ready built from Gerben in Holland and came with the quadrant problem. He sent me an email of how to rectify it so will look for that as well. Yes the quadrant is where the push and pull cables connect. Is your pull cable only just fitting or is there plenty of adjustment.

Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline billdn

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2023, 11:27:22 AM »
Very sorry to hear about the wife.

You could try this as to me it sounds as though the throttle lifters are set too high, especially if the carbs have been apart.

Get the adjuster screws, the ones with the little 8mm headed nuts on and the flat bladed screwdriver slot. Screw them all down as far as they can go. You may now struggle to get the bike to tickover and starting will involve a little jiggling with the throttle. Once you get it started adjust the main tickover screw to see if it will idle. If so, now vac the carbs to equalise them.

See if that works.

Before you do that post a pic of the adjusters so we can see how high they are now.

Pics of adjusters prior too screwing in , hopefully attached

Offline billdn

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2023, 11:30:39 AM »
I will go back and check my 350F build thread when I get a chance. My carbs came ready built from Gerben in Holland and came with the quadrant problem. He sent me an email of how to rectify it so will look for that as well. Yes the quadrant is where the push and pull cables connect. Is your pull cable only just fitting or is there plenty of adjustment.

Cables fine Roy, plenty of adjustment on both, which I think is good 😏

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal