Author Topic: 400 Four Oil filter - "genuine" or "aftermarket" ?  (Read 1766 times)

Offline Skoti

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: 400 Four Oil filter - "genuine" or "aftermarket" ?
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2023, 07:29:58 PM »
On the DS filters, dont think anyone could make reasonable assessment without knowing spec etc.

Think in that choice I'd go manufacturer item unless someone could indicate why the other would match.

Check the service schedule for the bike too, as often it'll state two oil changes per filter, which reduces cost by half without compromise.  Mainly the oil change interval on these is to cope with fuel dilution anyway, with the filter easily able to competently cover the stated service life Honda gave.

Been using Hi-Flo filters for a few years, they meet the stringent German TUV approval rating if that's anything to go by.
Although on most other critical engine stuff I prefer genuine Honda parts when possible.

http://www.hiflofiltro.com/catalogue/filter/HF401

Motorcycling is Life, anything B4 or after is just waiting...

1976 Honda CB750F1

Online Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2023, 07:46:54 PM »
Been using Hi-Flo filters for a few years, they meet the stringent German TUV approval rating if that's anything to go by.
I was in Germany for years I remember the TUV as Germany's super strict MOT equivalent, I didn't realise it extended to oil filters.  :o  No wonder so many poor motorists have that sign in the back window that says until the TUV us doth part or words to that effect!
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2 called Elen.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2023, 07:51:17 PM »
I view it as a circular argument, if the oil does its job properly, then you dont "need" a filter.

Observing what's trapped in the filter, shows what failed in the lubrication abilities of the oil and system in which it's operating  ;D

The oil is absolutely the primary protection for a running engine, the filter primarily stops SOME of that debris going round the system again,  meaning the oil failed to what was asked of it.

The filter doesn't stop PRIMARY wear, the oil does.

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2023, 07:56:31 PM »
And what is the only neglected, important part of the system that uses unfiltered oil?

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2023, 08:01:12 PM »
The oil pump.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2023, 08:08:00 PM »
Youm is too smartish Ken, how many rebuilds you seen when people havent even looked at the pump?

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2023, 08:14:46 PM »
A lot of the spin on types come with the tool these days. A lot of manufactures have a toque setting now because of the high pressure oil pumps.

The main Land rover dealer near me employed a guy in his mid 50's to be a service technician. After a couple of weeks of him working, they had a number of Range rovers and Land rovers returned with blown engines or massive leaks. He was putting the oil filters on and doing them up hand tight ( as he has always done ) The o'ring had been blown out due to the oil pressure  :o

Interesting detail. I work quite a bit on VAG cars and haven't seen a spin on for years. They compromise of a "canister" into which the filter element is placed, then a top like a bowler hat shape with o-ring groove in the threaded portion that "sleeves" down inside the canister bore. No way out for o-ring, very easy to tighten, and low torque. Thought they were a bit M-Mouse when came across them originally, but absolutely excellent design and no metal filter housing to dispose of. I appreciate thinking that's really clever like this.

And 36mm socket fit to work them, same as my Triumph front sprocket nut  ;D

Offline TrickyMicky

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2023, 10:58:23 PM »
I view it as a circular argument, if the oil does its job properly, then you dont "need" a filter.

Observing what's trapped in the filter, shows what failed in the lubrication abilities of the oil and system in which it's operating  ;D

The oil is absolutely the primary protection for a running engine, the filter primarily stops SOME of that debris going round the system again,  meaning the oil failed to what was asked of it.

The filter doesn't stop PRIMARY wear, the oil does.
. Firstly, I will admit to only using genuine Honda oil filters, and keeping a written log of mileage/oil changes etc., and yes, living close to Silvers does help!  Re. the need for filters, during the 60'and 70's I worked for London Transport buses, and at that time they operated 7,000 RT type vehicles equipped with AEC Diesel engines using a dry sump system and NO oil filter!  A strict service regime was operated and they lasted an incredible long time.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2023, 12:03:36 AM »
A lot of small Honda's never even had a oil filter.  ;)

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2023, 01:26:27 AM »
Youm is too smartish Ken, how many rebuilds you seen when people havent even looked at the pump?

Quite a few Bryan. Seems it's something they overlook.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2023, 02:15:13 AM »
Yet in the car world you would never rebuild a Ford, Vauxhall or BMC without repacing the pump

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2023, 07:55:16 AM »
On a lot of my CB750 oil pump builds, i would have to replace with new gerotors. Not a cheap rebuild.

Worked at Willesden engineering, rebuilding fleet Vauxhall and Ford engines which was so much easier and you were expected to do at least 12 units a day; Crank reground with oversize shells, rebored with new pistons, new valve guides, valve seats, valves, new cam shafts and all new rocker components, new core plugs, gaskets and seals,, new oil pump, new oil pump and so on. Which was cheap  ;)

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2023, 08:00:18 AM »
Reminds me of the days when BL did Gold Seal replacement engines.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2023, 09:29:11 AM by McCabe-Thiele (Ted) »
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2023, 09:06:17 AM »
Reminds me of the days when BL did Gold Seal rerplacement engines.

My brother was driving to work one day in his Austin Allaggro when it broke down. The RAC came out and said the petrol pump had failed. The patrolman went and got a new one fitted it and my Brother went to work. On the way home the car made a nasty noise and stopped. RAC came out and said the petrol pump had broken. Unfortunately the metal pump arm had broken off and dropped into the engine causing it to seize. When my brother told the RAC patrolman the pump had only been fitted that morning by another RAC patrolman they took full responsibility and fitted a new gold seal engine. However the car remained a heap of junk. He used to wear motorcycle gauntlets in the winter driving it because the heater took so long to heat up by the time it did he'd driven the 10 miles to work!
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2023, 09:14:31 AM »
On the DS filters, dont think anyone could make reasonable assessment without knowing spec etc.

Think in that choice I'd go manufacturer item unless someone could indicate why the other would match.

Check the service schedule for the bike too, as often it'll state two oil changes per filter, which reduces cost by half without compromise.  Mainly the oil change interval on these is to cope with fuel dilution anyway, with the filter easily able to competently cover the stated service life Honda gave.

Personally speaking I have always changed the oil and the filter together. I know the book says change the filter at every second oil change but I could never get my head around sending lovely clean and expensive oil through a dirty filter. I used to use genuine Honda filters but now use Hi-Flo and change the oil and filter every 1000 miles. I change the oil on the 250RSA every 500miles (this engine only has a washable gauze filter).
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal