Author Topic: 400 Four Oil filter - "genuine" or "aftermarket" ?  (Read 1767 times)

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: 400 Four Oil filter - "genuine" or "aftermarket" ?
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2023, 09:31:18 AM »
I agree I would never change the oil without also replacing the filter.
I'm also  a fan of Hi-Flo & Mahle filters.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2023, 12:09:39 PM »
There exists the delicious irony that if the oil performance is as you"d really hope it would be, any platform for judging a filter is not there  ;D

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2023, 04:09:34 PM »
I've got to say I also never change the oil without changing the filter. Just seems wrong not to do and the cost was never prohibitive. 
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2023, 04:36:33 PM »
There exists the delicious irony that if the oil performance is as you"d really hope it would be, any platform for judging a filter is not there  ;D

About 8/10 years ago I came across a US site where a private individual looked at various brands of screw on type replacement oil filters on the market doing a pretty comprehensive job of dismantling them to show the different types of material used, how the drain back valves worked comparing  what you got for your money.
Sadly I did not keep the link but it was very interesting reading some of the findings over a period of time as he developed his knowledge and improved his testing methods.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2023, 04:38:29 PM by McCabe-Thiele (Ted) »

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2023, 05:19:12 PM »
I've also seen that Ted.

I seem to recall that the OE filters were made of better paper.  The main difference was the filter paper and not many of the aftermarket filters came close. Some were pretty appalling at filtering TBH.

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2023, 09:48:37 AM »
Yes it was Ken, at the time we had a Nissan r3mR that came with a set of new fillter from the PO they were branded Boschi.

When I fitted the new oil filter the oil light took ages to go out after the car had stood for a few minutes. I did not move it off our drive I went to a local firm & fitted a Mahle one - problem sorted - poor valve unit in the canister.

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2023, 01:43:45 PM »
I was watching one yesterday with someone from Poland? doing the testing.

He said something pretty interesting which I didn't know. It sounds plausible so maybe it's correct.

One of the test was for flow rate, a litre of oil was suspended over a container which had a portion of the filter paper inside it, the oil was timed to see how long it took to pass through the paper using just gravity. What he did mention though was that the oil needed to be warm, 30 degrees I seem to recall. If it was cold the oil just didn't pass through, or it did but like 2 drops every minute. So he claimed the oil in the engine bypasses the filter via the relief valve until it's thin enough to pass through the filter, not something I was aware of but is it true?

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2023, 02:08:31 PM »
Doubtful Ken the pump pressure beats gravity by a helluva lot

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2023, 02:14:52 PM »

How many PSI is gravity Bryan  ;D ;D ;D

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2023, 02:39:18 PM »

There is a relationship there that has an effect. If he put more volume there, above the test site, it should exercise more pressure on the membrane from increase in mass. And why waterproof stats give hydrostatic pressure figure to illustrate this, I brlieve.

I've seen it the other way round, having to pump liquid up floors in a building, arranged for pump etc but it couldn't lift the liquid at that specific gravity the required amount, as soon as the tube filled up the pump head couldn't exert enough pressure to move that column.  Had to use expensive high pressure stainless steel pump heads and reduce the pipe diameter to get it lifted effectively.

Also, if you reduce pressure in a pipe then even Mercury will be pulled up as you've reduced atmospheric pressure acting on that mass from 14.7psi to lower and let effectively made the Mercury mass less, how vac tube carb sync gauges work.

And another thing, where  the moon is in relation to earth, it's own gravity in opposition to earth's then causes the sea water to rise, as in the tidal movement.

I'm nowhere near good enough at physics to place maths on top of this  ;D

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2023, 02:45:31 PM »
Hiflofiltro has been manufacturing filters for the OEM motor industry since 1963. With the experience of more than four decades, constant research and development and modern production facilities they manufacture today some of the best quality filters in the world. Hiflofiltro is the complete range of motorcycle filters engineered to extreme quality standards to provide ultimate engine protection.
Premium Oil Filters
O.E. Manufacturer - O.E. Specs plus performance
Best Consumer Value - Best Quality and Price
Constructed using the Best available Materials
The Worlds FIRST TUV approved oil filter
Materials and production are at the leading edge of technology
TUV Product Approved and Production Monitored
Most Complete Range for ALL Motorcycles
Hiflofiltro HF401 Oil Filter includes 2 O'Rings

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2023, 03:28:15 PM »
The competent filter manufacturers should be able to produce filters that at minimum can't give any problems, structurally or other issues.

Cost is obviously a consideration through whichever channels they are bought, whatever their maker. But ultimately can't absolutely show technical performance just by that metric.

The question with DS choice more nuanced, which manufacturer made it ? And if we don't know that we can't have a reliable technical performance either. In addition, if that supply just buys any maker that is then sold on, are there any supporting analysis if there's a mix of these manufacturers?  And how would DS know and corellate any failure with batch production identification or similar. Id doubt if there's anything in the way of report on real performance from their two lines offered, or could be wrong there.

It seems that both Honda and Hi-flo brands are well regarded and most definitely their experience is available to back up their manufacturing competency.

Unspecified brands, who knows in reality, and do you want to verify it with your own bike ?

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2023, 03:31:02 PM »

There is a relationship there that has an effect. If he put more volume there, above the test site, it should exercise more pressure on the membrane from increase in mass. And why waterproof stats give hydrostatic pressure figure to illustrate this, I brlieve.

I've seen it the other way round, having to pump liquid up floors in a building, arranged for pump etc but it couldn't lift the liquid at that specific gravity the required amount, as soon as the tube filled up the pump head couldn't exert enough pressure to move that column.  Had to use expensive high pressure stainless steel pump heads and reduce the pipe diameter to get it lifted effectively.

Also, if you reduce pressure in a pipe then even Mercury will be pulled up as you've reduced atmospheric pressure acting on that mass from 14.7psi to lower and let effectively made the Mercury mass less, how vac tube carb sync gauges work.

And another thing, where  the moon is in relation to earth, it's own gravity in opposition to earth's then causes the sea water to rise, as in the tidal movement.

I'm nowhere near good enough at physics to place maths on top of this  ;D
This is basic biology and physiology surely 😂😂😂😂 For a pump to work at its optimum efficiency, the volume and viscosity of the given fluid needs to be at its 'standard' norms for it to pump correctly. If a pump is designed to do it's optimum job, as an example, with the heart and blood pressure, two factors need to be determined. The amount of blood the heart pumps (volume) and how hard it is for the blood to move through the arteries (force) . The more blood the heart pumps and the narrower the arteries, the higher the blood pressure. So by thinning the blood artificially by say Warfarin, although the volume stays the same, the less force is required to be exerted by the pump to give the same outcome.
Therefore, going back to the oil filter question, it would appear that the viscosity of the oil would be a major factor in determining the volume of oil moved as a PSI rate 😁😁😁😁😁😁
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2023, 04:48:47 PM »

... as an example, with the heart and blood pressure, two factors need to be determined. The amount of blood the heart pumps (volume) and how hard it is for the blood to move through the arteries (force) . The more blood the heart pumps and the narrower the arteries, the higher the blood pressure. So by thinning the blood artificially by say Warfarin, although the volume stays the same, the less force is required to be exerted by the pump to give the same outcome.
Oh Julie
Now you've got me checking my pulse and feeling dodgy!!  :o  ;D
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2 called Elen.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2023, 05:01:23 PM »
As i remember it you have tp put an apple on your head and get william to shoot it of, then measure the weight of the brown stuff leaking from your left trouser leg, double it, and the number you first thought of and go back to sleep after 50 hors and 3,000 km in  4 shifts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal