Author Topic: 400 Four Oil filter - "genuine" or "aftermarket" ?  (Read 1769 times)

Offline Mikep328

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
400 Four Oil filter - "genuine" or "aftermarket" ?
« on: September 06, 2023, 08:17:29 AM »
OK...so is there any functional or 'quality' difference between the two? If this forum didn't exist, I would probably buy the "genuine" filter because it 'sounds better' but if there is no actual difference, I don't see the point in spending more money for the same thing.

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
Re: 400 Four Oil filter - "genuine" or "aftermarket" ?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2023, 08:20:31 AM »
Well, I don't think I've ever had a genuine oil filter. I wouldn't  be surprised if Honda bought theirs from different people down the line. Just don't go super cheap. There is a video comparing things here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQ-W0_KZTbE
« Last Edit: September 06, 2023, 08:26:30 AM by Athame57 »
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2 called Elen.

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2023, 08:22:08 AM »
Hi-Flow 401
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2023, 08:27:44 AM »
Hi-Flow 401
That's what I've got Julie, I liked the colour of it too!  ;D
I brake for animals!

Offline Mikep328

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2023, 08:57:10 AM »
"Well, I don't think I've ever had a genuine oil filter."

Sorry, I should have specified that the "Genuine" and "Aftermarket" are descriptions used on the DS website.  Their Genuine filter is £10.66 and their Aftermarket filter is £4.95.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2023, 09:32:28 AM »
On the DS filters, dont think anyone could make reasonable assessment without knowing spec etc.

Think in that choice I'd go manufacturer item unless someone could indicate why the other would match.

Check the service schedule for the bike too, as often it'll state two oil changes per filter, which reduces cost by half without compromise.  Mainly the oil change interval on these is to cope with fuel dilution anyway, with the filter easily able to competently cover the stated service life Honda gave.

Offline TrickyMicky

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2023, 09:45:45 AM »

Sorry, I should have specified that the "Genuine" and "Aftermarket" are descriptions used on the DS website.  Their Genuine filter is £10.66 and their Aftermarket filter is £4.95.
Just a thought, do you use cheap oil as well?

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2023, 10:22:58 AM »

No. I use Westway 10 W40 T4 Mineral oil, good enough?  :o
I brake for animals!

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2023, 10:51:00 AM »

No. I use Westway 10 W40 T4 Mineral oil, good enough?  :o

We can get into so much details about oil "tin hat" time  :D but the highest priorty of whichever oil is used will always the be condition of the oil during it's service life.

Dilute (fuel from short running) it to any significant degree and it's fugged, first to be compromised is usually camshaft, on any engine. Makes filter discussion almost completely academic if the oil's not kept in good condition.

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2023, 12:14:00 PM »
I'm certainly with Nigel on that one,
When you look at the price of a gallon of fuel (do you remember gallons) and how far that will take you before you need another and then look at a gallon (or thereabouts) of expensive oil and how far that will normally take you -  I think it doesn't make sense to skimp on oil and filter changes - and I was born in Yorkshire tha' knows!  However if Graham reckons that Hi Flo filters are OK for an engine that he had to give a guarantee on, then I see nowt wrong with those.

Ian

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2023, 12:47:14 PM »
Check out motorcycleproducts.co.uk for prices, pages and pages and look at all of them as same thing on different pages, plus same filter on all fours and gl 1000

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2023, 03:40:55 PM »
After having an aftermarket filter completely collapse at high speed on a motorway I would never recommend anything but genuine Honda. The filter looked like it had been wrung out, spiraled in shape. The mesh filter in the sump was almost completely blocked with fibres. The filter came from my local Honda dealer BTW, they sell for profit, they don't seem to care whether it's fit for purpose or not.

The damage a faulty or poorly manufactured filter can cause and the expense of fixing the engine afterwards should point you to buy genuine IMO.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2023, 05:29:30 PM »
I'm certainly with Nigel on that one,
When you look at the price of a gallon of fuel (do you remember gallons) and how far that will take you before you need another and then look at a gallon (or thereabouts) of expensive oil and how far that will normally take you -  I think it doesn't make sense to skimp on oil and filter changes - and I was born in Yorkshire tha' knows!  However if Graham reckons that Hi Flo filters are OK for an engine that he had to give a guarantee on, then I see nowt wrong with those.

Ian

Honda oil filters have always been at rip off prices and Honda don't even make oil filter. It is just a oil filter in a Honda bag these days ( came in boxes before).

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2023, 06:01:29 PM »
They stop at nothing now to fleece us of 'hard earned' - I got 2 genuine spin on filters for my new Forza - as it's still under warranty and I have slotted extra changes in - they each came with the extractor cap in BZP steel.  I've already given quite a few of those away from the GoldWing and CBF days - grrr!

Ian

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2023, 07:11:14 PM »
A lot of the spin on types come with the tool these days. A lot of manufactures have a toque setting now because of the high pressure oil pumps.

The main Land rover dealer near me employed a guy in his mid 50's to be a service technician. After a couple of weeks of him working, they had a number of Range rovers and Land rovers returned with blown engines or massive leaks. He was putting the oil filters on and doing them up hand tight ( as he has always done ) The o'ring had been blown out due to the oil pressure  :o

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal