SOHC.co.uk Forums > CB350/400

My 1975 CB400F restoration project

(1/14) > >>

ozzybud:
Hi all i am going to start this thread documenting my recently acquired CB400F Restoration project.
I picked up this bike a couple months ago locally in Seattle for a Very good price. It has just over 20K miles on the clock. It had lots of corrosion and wear that you would expect from a 49 year old bike.

I was able to ride it over the last couple months to make sure it runs good and does not smoke. great compression and pulls very strong. Didn't know it was a six speed until my second ride. also nothing sounds like these small SOHC 4's.

I have been collection new parts,pieces and fasteners  from EBAY, CMS.NL and  David Silver Spares. I love to restore back to Factory Original as possible

here are a couple pics before and in progress

ozzybud:
This was my first accomplishment last week. cleaned , restored and re-faced the gauges

Johnwebley:
Well done

Looking forward to many more posts and pictures

Sent from my SM-A546E using Tapatalk

ozzybud:
I started in on the front rim restoration this weekend. I have a new DID rim and Spokes from CMS.

I always start with the the rubber still on and clean up the disk by spinning the tire and using 220 grit on a sanding block until all the black marks and glazing is removed. I hold the axle up with 2 boards bolted  to the bench sticking out about 18". I don't have a lathe to face them off so this is the next best method for me to make them look like new.

The Bearing were howling when i was cleaning up the Disk.  The Spanner nut has 2peen marks that need to be drilled out ever so slightly , after drilling out the peen marks, I then heated the hub up with a heat gun. Nut came out with ease and both bearings tapped out with ease. I ordered new bearings and a seal. they should be here by tomorrow.

I use aircraft stripper to remove all the factory clear coat from the hub. the pictures i posted are post clear removal only. I will sand with 400/800/1500 before polishing.

I will sand and polish the hub tomorrow after i install the bearings,i'm hoping with using heat they will drop right in.

I will then clear coat the  hub. i always use catalyzed automotive clear. just 1 coat so it will protect and not chip off.

AshimotoK0:
Nice work. Which clear coat do you use on your  alloy parts ?... I use MIPA CA . DTM (Direct To Metal) 2k

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version