SOHC.co.uk Forums > CB350/400

My 1975 CB400F restoration project

<< < (2/14) > >>

McCabe-Thiele (Ted):

--- Quote from: ozzybud on January 15, 2024, 04:09:03 AM ---
I will sand and polish the hub tomorrow after i install the bearings,i'm hoping with using heat they will drop right in.

--- End quote ---

As you will know the bearings are a press fit, I found putting the new bearing inside a small zip lock bag then into the freezer overnight that they would drift in quite easily.

A member here put me onto an inexepensive drift tool set that comes in handy for gearbox bearings as well. I'm afraid of heating up alluminium plus my hubs were powder coated so did not want to risk the finish.

.https://www.amazon.co.uk/Professional-Piece-Bearing-Driver-Metric/dp/B00G6KHULU/ref=sr_1_8?crid=UFKYELM2PSY8&keywords=alloy+bearing+removal+drift+set&qid=1705316495&sprefix=alloybearing+removal+drift+set%2Caps%2C70&sr=8-8

ozzybud:
Yes they are a press fit. But thermal expansion and contraction is your best friend when it comes to installation. Freezing the bearings and heating the structure will make everything a lot easier. .
Using a heat gun should not affect and finish you might have. Unless it spray can paint.

Laverda Dave:
That's a very nice starting point, it's all there for starters!
Nice work with the gauges as well 👍.
My rat bike project has about 45k on it and unfortunately everything inside the engine appears to be worn out although the wear may in some part be put down to the PO using a sand blaster on the complete engine prior to spraying it black. I'm sure some of the sand got into the engine.
Looking forward to the rebuild posts👍

ozzybud:

--- Quote from: AshimotoK0 on January 15, 2024, 07:29:15 AM ---Nice work. Which clear coat do you use on your  alloy parts ?... I use MIPA CA . DTM (Direct To Metal) 2k

--- End quote ---

This is the Clear I use. It is made by PPG but less than half the price. Sprays,Smells flows out just like the PPG 2K Clear. It seems a lot softer. polishes out nice but on dark colors it gets scuffy faster.Not sure the Manufacturer will Guarantee DTM use. I have used it for years on side covers without failure or yellowing. I have used it on Wood as well. Also I have sprayed it over any kind of poof can(including the Honda Silver Cloud color) and i have never experienced lifting.

I will use this clear coat when i paint the tank and side covers. The good stuff is so expensive and the clear will last a long time but the Hardener has a short shelf life after opening. so i will end up tossing out a couple hundred dollars.

ozzybud:
A little update on my progress. I got the front wheel re-laced and trued. Detailing the parts and pieces as I go. Using as many new Honda Fasteners and Parts  as possible. Replaced the seals in the front forks and polished up. I have a really nice uncracked headlight bucket that i need to paint and then i will be complete with the front clip. I bought 2 NOS headlight rings for the CB360 a couple years ago. Nice to find out its the correct part for the CB400F as well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version