Author Topic: Front brake locked on  (Read 6840 times)

Offline meerkat

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Front brake locked on
« on: September 26, 2011, 08:36:41 AM »
After 6 weeks of not using the 400/4 I went to move the bike and couldn't because the front brake is locked onto the disc.
The bike ran well the last time I used it and initially it could be moved around in the garage without a problem.
Before I start spannering today what do I need to look out for ?
All advice gratefully received.
Thanks in advance.
Retired and spending my children's inheritance.

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Front brake locked on
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 11:54:22 AM »
The old favourite, corrosion between the alloy caliper body and the steel backing of the brake pad! Split the caliper, then apply a TINY amount of easing oil around the steel backing of the pad, leave for an hour or so, then gently squeeze the brake lever ONCE, you should see the pad start to move outwards.. apply a little more easing oil, leave for a few minutes, the attempt to push the pad back into the housing. if it moves fairly easily, squeeze the brake lever again, just once, then try to jiggle the pad out of the caliper housing. When you get the pad out, clean around the steel backing with emery paper or similar, then look at the alloy of the caliper, it will probably look white and furry. If it is, have a look at the exposed part of the piston and check for rust pits or other damage, if it looks okay, push it back into the caliper body as far as it will go. (DON'T do this if the piston shows serious rust or pitting, bite the bullet and get a replacement piston, your life depends on it!)Assuming the piston is servicable, next clean the inside rim of the caliper where the pad sits, for heavy corrosion I use a scotchbrite pad (green scratchy pad women use for washing up), followed by a polish with solvol autosol. When both the pad and caliper are clean, check the pivot of the caliper swinging arm is moving freely (If it isn't, take it apart and grease the pivot pin, A little bit of thought from Honda would have seen a grease nipple on the pivot!) Before re assmbling the caliper, apply a smear of copaslip around the edge of the pad where it contacts the inside edge of the caliper body, should help stop it happening again!(worth doing 3-4 times a year to prevent future siezures, only takes a few minutes ;D) Then re assemble the caliper, and adjust the brake to the manual spec (6 thou between the fixed pad and the disc I seem to recall) using the swinging arm adjuster bolt, then a feww pulls on the brake lever and hey presto, should be a working brake again!
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 12:24:23 PM »
That just about sums it up!

Not sure about the women and washing up bit though. If I start to get hatemail from the libbers on the internet, I'll let you know...
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 01:28:49 PM »
Steve, stand up for what's true, women like to wear white on the wedding day, after all, most kitchen appliances come in white!!! ;D

Offline meerkat

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 02:07:31 PM »
They should be flattered that we give our bikes girls names.  ;D
Well I do anyway.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 05:51:47 PM »
There are two other possibilities:-

(1) the flexis are clollapsing internaly---Would not expect that to happen just standing

(2) the tiny return hole in the master is blocked, check for this by cracking the bleed nipple open and see if the wheel frees up.  This can be the cause after standing as most of us when we go to move a bike pull the lever on automatically

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 06:08:22 PM »
The reason we give our bikes girls names is that they take all your time and money, and still give you sh*t when you really don't need it! ;D

Offline meerkat

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 10:53:15 PM »
After 6 weeks of not using the 400/4 I went to move the bike and couldn't because the front brake is locked onto the disc.
The bike ran well the last time I used it and initially it could be moved around in the garage without a problem.
Thanks in advance.
Thanks for your replies and advice.
I had a look at the bike this morning after a camping weekend away and applied a couple of drops of PlusGas to the top of the caliper pivot, prior to a strip down.
Success !
The brake eased off and I was able to give it a good run of 46 miles without any problems.
Let's hope this good weather lasts a bit longer !

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 07:49:38 AM »
In that case you need to remove the pivot and clean thouroughly re assembling with copaslip

Offline meerkat

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2011, 07:55:00 AM »
In that case you need to remove the pivot and clean thouroughly re assembling with copaslip
Thanks Bryanj, the job's scheduled for the next spell of wet weather.  :)

Offline Tomb

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2011, 12:28:50 PM »
As a Mech Fitter we're told never to use copaslip on ali coz of corrosion, on casing screws we get away with it coz the screw head tightened into the casing stops moisture getting in, but on the caliper pivot it can and in ali is 'sposed to react causing electrolitical corrosion.

I used normal grease and renewed the O'rings on the pivot.

I 'spose the O'rings should stop the moisture getting in ::) :D
Tom
'73 CB550 with CB500 engine café racer
'62 CB77 Sprinter
'70 CD175
'78 CB550 with sidecar
'80 Z50R
And a load of old Yamaha 1100's

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2011, 10:02:19 PM »
I've used for years a marine type grease that's used in outboard motor mount pivots and launch trailer wheel bearings amongst other things, seems to resist seizing quite succesfully and there is no real heat requirement there. Just seemed to match the application when I originally bought it.

I'll look at what I've used and post it (can't remember the name offhand).

Never owned a boat though!

Offline Tomb

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2011, 11:09:04 PM »
Yep I have a tub of waterproof grease, normally use it on my trailer wheel bearings coz it lives outside and doesn't have body work like a car to stop the rain getting in.

I use this Clicky
Tom
'73 CB550 with CB500 engine café racer
'62 CB77 Sprinter
'70 CD175
'78 CB550 with sidecar
'80 Z50R
And a load of old Yamaha 1100's

Offline meerkat

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2011, 02:11:12 PM »
Thanks in advance.
Finally after deliberating whether to strip the front brake system down or not, I bit the bullet today.
Penetrating oil on the pivot had made things slightly easier but the brake soon jammed on solid again.
The caliper piston was seized in the caliper and took ages to remove.
Result - ancient brake fluid, loads of rubbish in the caliper together with a seriously rusted piston.
Now to source a rebuild kit and fresh brake fliud.
Thanks for all the helpful replies so far.

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2011, 03:08:48 PM »
That's a brilliant example of what happens to these brake pistons...

Ouch!
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal