Author Topic: Removing cylinder liners  (Read 2572 times)

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Removing cylinder liners
« on: October 09, 2011, 10:13:55 PM »
Anyone actually done this? Looks pretty straighforward.

I was thinking of replacing my over bored set with standard size. Moving them to the old block would save repainting and would look better as the 750 block is not in as good condition.

Cheers for any thoughts

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Removing cylinder liners
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 10:22:06 PM »
There was a thread going in the 400 section about this recently -can't recall the title- with some discussion and method amongst which was the need to machine the top of the barrels flat again after pushing the liners in.

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 11:28:18 PM »
I heated up one of my cylinders in an oven when i took it out the liners just fell out, so they are reall easy to remove and fit, although you may have to get the tops machined to be sure they are flush in new block
Pete

Offline Tomb

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 07:28:52 AM »
I heated up one of my cylinders in an oven when i took it out the liners just fell out, so they are reall easy to remove and fit, although you may have to get the tops machined to be sure they are flush in new block
Pete

Same here, I used 750 liners in my CB72, heated the block with a little gas blow torch and knocked em out. I've used the oven on others.

(the 750 block had all its fins smashed off by the PO in an accident, before folk get upset at the sacrilige ;D :D)

I also found that the heads on the liners were very accurate, the blocks' counterbores are machined very accurately so the liners heads are all the same, though its easy to check them with a micrometer/digital vernier

Tom (Toolmaker)
Tom
'73 CB550 with CB500 engine café racer
'62 CB77 Sprinter
'70 CD175
'78 CB550 with sidecar
'80 Z50R
And a load of old Yamaha 1100's

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 07:21:30 PM »
Thank you for your contributions. All looks fairly straightforward. Wonder if the wife would notice that I had a set of barrels in the oven? May get away with it when she is at work.

A little light cooking should have the things out.

Thanks again

Seamus

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 08:14:02 PM »
It makes a real stink, especially if there is oil on it, and it takes ages for the smell to go, i bought an oven just for hobby uses ,
btw make sure you remove the large rubber o rings from the bottom
Pete

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 08:25:38 PM »
On that tack I've been told a few stories about some gentle simmering of engine parts.

One had to dismantle most of the oven interior to get a barrel in, another using the dishwasher without salt to clean engine parts (you'll have to buy an old one of those to go with your oven Pete!).

And my favourite, someone I worked with got caught with a Hilman Imp engine on the kitchen table when his wife came home from the hospital early after giving birth.

Also read about a bloke who after giving up racing old Jags, ended up with one spare engine so installed it in the fireplace of his pub with the exhaust up the chimney. He and the locals apperently used to thrash the nuts off it after drinking a few.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal