Author Topic: headlamp from us to uk  (Read 5231 times)

Offline david451

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
headlamp from us to uk
« on: November 19, 2011, 06:47:37 PM »
Got a couple of USA import spec bikes and need to know if the headlamps have to be changed or are they normally fitted with neutral straight down dip, the bikes are in bits so can't check. Can't find anything on a search, infact if any the other lights don't meet the specs as well if anybody is up to speed on the legislation please.

Got the frame all painted on one of them, working on the engine now and should get it back in next week. Got a nice seat cover from David silvers, the rocker cover gasket is a bit costly though, need to make sure I don't damage the one on the next bike, the cleaning up on the covers etc is taking ages.

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
Re: headlamp from us to uk
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 08:50:52 PM »
Bryan is our MOT tester, but experience suggests...

• If you have indicators they must work and must be orange
  • Headlight must dip to the left

If not, it will fail.
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline david451

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 10:42:26 PM »
Bryan is our MOT tester, but experience suggests...

• If you have indicators they must work and must be orange
  • Headlight must dip to the left

If not, it will fail.

The indicators are orange on both of them, and as you say being USA I would have thought red. The headlamps I guess I will have another look at them tomorrow and see if there are any markings on them, but a worse case is a new unit

Offline Tomb

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 11:59:31 PM »
My XS1100 has a dip to the right headlight, my MOTer says he normally sticks some tape over the headlight to make it pass the beam test.

In these days of car headlights that are that bright the blind you when meeting them in the lanes, and they're legal and up to date with vehicle construction and use regs, does my 2 candle power headlight dipping the wrong side really matter? ::)
Tom
'73 CB550 with CB500 engine café racer
'62 CB77 Sprinter
'70 CD175
'78 CB550 with sidecar
'80 Z50R
And a load of old Yamaha 1100's

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 01:28:05 AM »
For all the details look at

http://www.transportoffice.gov.uk/crt/doitonline/bl/mottestingmanualsandguides/mottestingmanualsandguides.htm

Headlamp will need replacement but any 7 inch will fit as long as its not a 400

Offline david451

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 02:10:38 PM »
My XS1100 has a dip to the right headlight, my MOTer says he normally sticks some tape over the headlight to make it pass the beam test.

In these days of car headlights that are that bright the blind you when meeting them in the lanes, and they're legal and up to date with vehicle construction and use regs, does my 2 candle power headlight dipping the wrong side really matter? ::)

Once you get older you can't even go out in the dark, well I can't anyway, I cant see fokal when another car comes towards me and worse if it's one of them zeon things and if it's raining.

Offline david451

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 02:13:43 PM »
For all the details look at

http://www.transportoffice.gov.uk/crt/doitonline/bl/mottestingmanualsandguides/mottestingmanualsandguides.htm

Headlamp will need replacement but any 7 inch will fit as long as its not a 400

Will get one from David Silvers then, thanks for that.

I got a new seat cover from them but it comes with a black bead for around the seat and I guess I am gona have to source a chrome one now, phew, fitted quite well though and looks quite nice.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 06:13:23 PM »
You don't need to go to DS unless you are after 100% originality, as i said any 7 inch car light even th eH4 halogen will fit, only problem with halogen is battery won't charge till over 4,000 revs!!

Offline david451

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2011, 06:37:13 PM »
You don't need to go to DS unless you are after 100% originality, as i said any 7 inch car light even th eH4 halogen will fit, only problem with halogen is battery won't charge till over 4,000 revs!!

Never thought of a car one, thanks for that.

Any tips for getting into all the little awkward bits on my side casings and so on, spent a whole shift today and still loads to do. Bought a polishing kit but the small ones are not aggressive enough. Phew what a job.

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 04:18:27 AM »
Can't really answer your question but do you cross reference part numbers between US and Euro bikes? If they are the same then the headlights would be the same. CMSNL.com has THE most extensive listings of bikes by country. Give them a try for cross referencing.
Original owner 1975 CB750F

Offline Tomb

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 10:04:37 AM »
Can't really answer your question but do you cross reference part numbers between US and Euro bikes? If they are the same then the headlights would be the same. CMSNL.com has THE most extensive listings of bikes by country. Give them a try for cross referencing.

The US and Euro headlights could well be the same but they dip to the right, UK headlights dip to the left so the chances of the references being the same is slim. More likely to be the same as "Oceana"(sp? :-\) models have the same refence numbers, those from NZ, AUS, Japan.
Tom
'73 CB550 with CB500 engine café racer
'62 CB77 Sprinter
'70 CD175
'78 CB550 with sidecar
'80 Z50R
And a load of old Yamaha 1100's

Offline david451

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2011, 10:12:43 AM »

The US and Euro headlights could well be the same but they dip to the right, UK headlights dip to the left so the chances of the references being the same is slim. More likely to be the same as "Oceana"(sp? :-\) models have the same refence numbers, those from NZ, AUS, Japan.

I took the frame along to the breakers to try one in but they had nothing, but to be honest they look the same as the standard unit, must have fitted hundreds of them to cars over the years. Somebody else said that they are the same as the car ones.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2011, 06:43:05 PM »
If its a US Motorcyle unit it MIGHT dip straight up and down which is OK, car ones from the US go the wrong way but any UK 7 inch car unit will fit

Offline david451

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2011, 08:16:00 PM »
If its a US Motorcyle unit it MIGHT dip straight up and down which is OK, car ones from the US go the wrong way but any UK 7 inch car unit will fit

At least one of them dips to the right, it has the cut out and the arrow, the car ones tend to be curved and I really want a flat one.

Whilst I am here I have four bikes in my garage and need to protect them until next year when I will be using at least two of them. They get a bit damp in there, moisture forms on them and can I spray them with something to keep them good. I thought waxoil and then wash it off next year.

Would have them in my bedroom but the wife would have to go first, any good home appreciated.

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2011, 09:17:17 PM »
A liberal spray of WD40 and a bowl of moisture crystals underneath the bike (beneath the dust cover)
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal