Author Topic: Hello from Orkney Islands  (Read 5251 times)

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
Hello from Orkney Islands
« on: October 14, 2012, 06:10:41 PM »
Hello folks,
Just a quick intro following registration:
Retired Aero Engineer, been involved with bikes for nearly 50 years.  Lots of Goldwing touring over the last 25 years, plus restoration of CB350 Four (still have it) and also have CB77, CD 175 Sloper, C50 LAC and at present restoring CB400 Four and Model 50 Norton.  A few other bikes in the stable too - yes, it's a disease and so far, incurable.

Regards,
Ian

Offline mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Hello from Orkney Islands
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 08:26:56 PM »
Hi Ian and welcome to the forum  :), sounds like you have an interesting collection of bikes  8), please post some photos when you get chance  ;) cheers Mick.

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 06:10:51 PM »
Just a few pics of some of the runners in the stable - most of the others are under restoration or in need of it!

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 07:22:32 PM »
Ian Hi and welcome nice set of bikes across the range bring back some good memories.
Keep them coming when you have done them.
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 11:59:27 AM »
Hi Ian .. just posted this so that people are aware of you !

I missed out when you joined , so a big belated   ::) welcome from me.

Cheers .. Ash
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 12:01:24 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 12:05:17 PM »
Welcome Ian - great to have you here...

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2014, 12:32:38 PM »
Looked at your Website ... great reading.

Are you from Hull originally Ian? I am in Willerby just on the outskirts.
If so you will remember Ken Blakey's shop (very,very early Honda bike dealer, Peter's, Miles and Jack Richie's Junkyard down Temple Street.

Cheers ... Ash
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 12:42:59 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2014, 12:50:11 PM »
Welcome, what a lovely little collection.

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2014, 12:57:50 PM »
Welcome
A Goldwing on Orkney  ???

Mick
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2014, 01:27:29 PM »
Hi Ian welcome aboard fella
pete

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2014, 01:32:00 PM »
Hi Ash,
Yes, I'm from ull, :)
I well remember those places, ah! Jack Ritchie's - can you still get a Norton Featherbed frame for£15?  I also remember Lucas and Wasling in Hardy Street - a bit more up market.  I grew up with bikes in the 60's, perhaps we have some common acquaintances?
I have just bought back a 400/4 from my Cousin in Hull - our local couriers are collecting it next week.  You may have come across it, I painted it in metallic black with gold lining, just like a Velocette, about 10 years ago.  I may sell the tank and side panels as I have a brand new varnish blue one and panels to match.  The bike's not perfect, but very presentable, so that's 2 400/4's  to play with now.
Cheers for now and thanks for the bump,
Ian
Btw, the handle is a bit of a play on words - Orcade Ian, not pretending to be Orcadian!
Drop in if you are passing! The kettle is usually warm  ;)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2014, 02:33:46 PM »
So are you in Hull or Orkney's Ian?
What's the reg of the 400/4 from Hull? One of mine was XDN128R (Varnish Blue) and can't remember the other one but would if I saw the reg again, painted White but orig. VB. plus Parakeet Yellow CAG242T that was nicked (it had brass front engine plates (don't ask, as the PO had access to laser cutting).  Those Richie brothers, sons of Jack (Pat and Mick .. Pat used to rub his hands together whilst eyeing you up and down to see how much you would pay). They moved from the Junk Yard on temple St (Near Peter's 5-star Dealer) to De-Grey (Disgrace ;D) Street years ago  into Neval's (Ural importers) old shop but it's not there any more. Evidently they still go to Rufforth Auto-Jumble, but never been there myself.

Interested in 400/4 side panels if you decide to sell them, for my Varnish Blue tank.

Only Guy i know from Riley THS of, possibly, your era is my old neighbour here's son-in-law Dave Hewitt. There also  a guy I knew real well call Nick Robinson who attended there but he's probably a lot younger than you.

Cheers ... Ash
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 02:39:56 PM by AshimotoK0 »

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2014, 03:34:06 PM »
So are you in Hull or Orkney's Ian?
What's the reg of the 400/4 from Hull? One of mine was XDN128R (Varnish Blue) and can't remember the other one but would if I saw the reg again, painted White but orig. VB. plus Parakeet Yellow CAG242T that was nicked (it had brass front engine plates (don't ask, as the PO had access to laser cutting).  Those Richie brothers, sons of Jack (Pat and Mick .. Pat used to rub his hands together whilst eyeing you up and down to see how much you would pay). They moved from the Junk Yard on temple St (Near Peter's 5-star Dealer) to De-Grey (Disgrace ;D) Street years ago  into Neval's (Ural importers) old shop but it's not there any more. Evidently they still go to Rufforth Auto-Jumble, but never been there myself.

Interested in 400/4 side panels if you decide to sell them, for my Varnish Blue tank.

Only Guy i know from Riley THS of, possibly, your era is my old neighbour here's son-in-law Dave Hewitt. There also  a guy I knew real well call Nick Robinson who attended there but he's probably a lot younger than you.

Cheers ... Ash

And they say us women like a gossip and a natter !!!
Welcome Ian.  :-*
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2014, 03:42:45 PM »
Hello again Ash,
I'm in Orkney, retired here about 8 years ago.  It will be the black body kit I'll be parting with.
The reg is FRN which was issued in Preston as an age related when I registered it.  As an import and very early bike, the Dvla gave it an M reg, which means it's Tax exempt from next January 1 - their stupid system finally came up with the goods - yippee!  There are some pics of the bike on the 400/4 section.  I remember Patrick Ritchie.  Don't recall the RILEY names though.  As you read, we are having a reunion next July, so we might get chance to meet up for a natter.  I still have some relatives and friends in and around Hull.
Regards, Ian

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2014, 06:09:57 PM »
Hi Ian
Welcome - great set of guys (and gals) on here. Great bikes - whats the roads like on Orkney?
Phil
Current Bikes:-
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CR750 Replica (1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)
Kawasaki ZZR1100D3 (1995)
Kawasaki ZZR250 (1990) Project (Going on eBay ASAP)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal