Author Topic: twin disc conversion  (Read 16035 times)

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: twin disc conversion
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2013, 07:19:13 PM »
ok,update coming,

forks arrived,they must have been for a 550k,so the slider was the same length as my 500.,
think the internals are different,but I am expecting to just fit on my existing stanchion,and use same springs and internals,

disc ordered,

and caliper,bracket hoses,etc

I intend to use a double length banjo to join the brake pipes,so I don't need to worry  about brakelight switch,

hopefully the new bolts,and speedo drive mods will go OK
lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline Yoshi823

• SOHC Pro
  • Biker to the bone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2013, 11:00:51 AM »
I fitted twin discs to my commuter 550F1 & they made the world of differance. I also drilled the discs & used a set of Vesrah pads on one side & Ferodo pads in the other caliper. This was so that, in the rain it would act like a single disc but in the dry like twin discs. I used a standard 550F2 master cylinder with Aeroquip lines feeding to both calipers directly from the splitter under the headlight.

Sorry I can't post up any pics atm but photobucket say I need to upgrade my account as i've used all of my bandwidth this month  >:(
Bikes...they're in the blood.
Yamaha R1 2001
Yamaha FZR1000R EXUP 1990
KTM 450 EXC RFS 2004
Honda XR400R 1997
Honda CB125T2 1980
Yamaha FJ1200 3XW 1991

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2013, 12:35:31 AM »
starting to get all the bits together,

cleaning and checking

ordered new master cylinder ,and various seal ,

servicing caliper,

HINT !!
a broken piston ring is perfect for cleaning the seal groove in the caliper !!!!!

more posts as I go along

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2013, 02:40:43 PM »
lower r/h fork changed,caliper mount sorted,needed a little work to make the arm swivel smoothly,

only about  85mm between r/h and l/h mountings,means I need to remove bolt to fit wheel !! and refit after,

is this normal ??

Offline Ewan 500 K1

• SOHC Pro
  • jings crivens help ma boab
    • View Profile
    • Adams Bros Probe 2001
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2013, 05:15:18 PM »
lower r/h fork changed,caliper mount sorted,needed a little work to make the arm swivel smoothly,

only about  85mm between r/h and l/h mountings,means I need to remove bolt to fit wheel !! and refit after,

is this normal ??

Hi John, the distance between the r/h and l/h bottom pivot arm mounting bracket bolts on mine is 86mm. I can just squeeze the 100/90/19 tyre past them , but only when deflated. The caliper on one side does have to come off first though
jings crivens help ma boab

500K1/550K3 mongrel cafe racer project for now at http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,4120.0.html

500K1 basket case for later

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2013, 10:43:00 PM »
thanks Ewan,

just had a set of Dunlops fitted, 3.25 X 19 front,4.00 X 18  Rear, done about 70 miles to scrub them in,feel different from the Avons

but growing in confidence -))))

about 12mm chicken strip both sides so far,

great straight line tracking,light handling feel,

Offline Ewan 500 K1

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
    • Adams Bros Probe 2001
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2013, 11:23:03 PM »
thanks Ewan,

just had a set of Dunlops fitted, 3.25 X 19 front,4.00 X 18  Rear, done about 70 miles to scrub them in,feel different from the Avons

better / worse or just different ? ;)

sure I'm daft .. but whats a chicken strip ? :-X

500K1/550K3 mongrel cafe racer project for now at http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,4120.0.html

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2013, 11:39:53 PM »
Aka chicken bands - the bit of the tyre at the edges not being worn indicating the bike doesn't get leant right over - should see my dead tyres collection, some are down to canvass on the middle and still as new round the edges - sidecars do that as does lots of winter riding.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Ewan 500 K1

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
    • Adams Bros Probe 2001
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2013, 01:18:39 AM »
Aka chicken bands - the bit of the tyre at the edges not being worn indicating the bike doesn't get leant right over - should see my dead tyres collection, some are down to canvass on the middle and still as new round the edges - sidecars do that as does lots of winter riding.
I'll let the poultry know in the morning ;)

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2013, 12:17:11 PM »

after riding on Avons 90/90 X 19 f.and 100/90 X rear for over 10 yrs ,I found the centre rear seemed to go quicker on each new tyre !!

the front lasted about 3 rears,great grip,inspires confidence dry,wet or greasy,
the Dunlops are the traditional size,3.25 x 19 F,and 4.00 x 18 r,both sets running 29 psi F,and 36 psi R,

these have a taller profile,larger rolling diameter,so apart from the feel of new tyres,,I also feel it drops in to the corner/roundabout
more,and after 70 ish miles feel very good,

also,

just ordered a speed drive plate 44641-300-000 as I thought it easier than modding the dished original

40 euros from Cmsnl

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2013, 03:20:39 PM »
Just hope they send you the correct drive plate as the original number superceeded to the new style one and you had to have a new style chrome plate

Offline Ewan 500 K1

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
    • Adams Bros Probe 2001
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2013, 06:06:58 PM »
Just hope they send you the correct drive plate as the original number superceeded to the new style one and you had to have a new style chrome plate

I thought they were unobtanium , be really interesting to hear if they dont send the superceeded version , ie the kind with the lugs that fit in the chrome cover. The one with the lugs that fit in the chrome cover is the one on the right in the second and third photos below. 44641-300-00 shape is the one on the left. Also, there's two versions of the type that has the lugs that fit in the chrome cover ( ie the one on the right). One is solid and one is a two part one with the two parts joined with rubber. I used the former to make my equivalent 44641-300-000.. if I recall correctly I seem to remember seeing somewhere that you cant use the two part one to modify to a 44641-300-000 shape (maybe because the heat from the grinder would melt the rubber ?? ). One more thing ...the one I made is only suitable for a twin disc conversion if the hub you have has the cut away flat sections  .. see the first photo below. If you have the hub without the cut aways  the approach taken is different .... you still need to modify the speedo drive plate, essentially by cutting of the lip, leaving a flat surface on the bottom without any tabs which is then screwed / riveted / glued / JB welded to the face of the hub. There's a few posts about covering these.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 06:37:16 PM by Ewan 500 K1 »

Offline Ewan 500 K1

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
    • Adams Bros Probe 2001
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2013, 06:29:11 PM »
if the worst comes to the worts and they do send you the wrong part .. and you do have the hub with the cutaways ... then its pretty easy to modify a speedo drive plate (see picture)

1. use a hacksaw to cut slots down beside the existing lugs (red lines in photo)
2. Use a bench grinder to grind off all the side wall material shown in blue in the photo , so that you are left with a flat base with two tabs for the hub.. like the one in the left of the photo
3. Cut / grind the tabs so that they are the right depth to slot into hub cutaways
4. Tidy up any rough edges with a file

Theres also another method that involves milling depressions in the disc so that the drive plate tabs sit in the disc
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 06:36:18 PM by Ewan 500 K1 »

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2013, 07:47:29 PM »
thanks guys,

I am also hoping they send the correct drive plate,

I could have modded my original plate,but figured  it is easier to buy a replacement,

I ordered it by the part number,no comments about it being superseded,

fingers crossed,

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2013, 09:30:09 PM »
I do have the hub with twin cutaways,
re the gear drive

went on order tracker,details as follows,

ordered 12th sept,original dispatch 18th