Author Topic: SOH registration prefix...  (Read 2918 times)

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
SOH registration prefix...
« on: January 08, 2014, 03:10:11 AM »
Morn all,

Finally have got the CB400F on the UK register, not that I was in any rush with the 2 other bikes & winter etc.

Anyways, it's been given an 'R' registration (1977) with the prefix SOH.

Now, whilst this may be DVLCs sop to this forum, any other inputs as to what those letters infer welcomed.

Just interested, & thanks,
Simon
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 05:34:14 AM by Lobo »

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: SOH registration prefix...
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 07:24:02 AM »
At the time that came out SOH would have been a particular local office, I know HNP is worcester but can't tell you where SOH is. If you find an old AA of RAC handbook they used to list them in the back

Offline mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 07:41:40 AM »
Hi Lobo SO = Scotland, Edinburgh according to Wikipedia  ;) cheers Mick.

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 08:18:31 AM »
Hi guys... thanks.

Befuddled as DVLA now centralised to Cardiff only... no more localised offices (all closed) /face-face stuff; all bloody email / snail mail applications.

So my reg is new(?) and I did a Wikipedia search, noting that my previous 400F was GVH xxxS & registered in Huddersfield. On the website I found the 'VH' bit implied 'uddersfield and so I entered with 'OH' from my new reg. This comes up with 'Birmingham'. Have I got a Brummie Bike!

Confused, or do they simply reassign deleted 'R' (1977) plates as & when....?
Simon

Ps... Just entered 'NP' (Brian's email) & indeed got Worcester.  So, dunno why, but my bike is now from Birmingham..(?) (HN btw is Darlington)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 08:24:43 AM by Lobo »

Offline mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 08:32:39 AM »
I just found this Lobo to confuse you even more lol  ;)

http://www.motorcycle.co.uk/reference/uk-registration-letters-and-area-codes

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 09:23:25 AM »
Dvla don't reuse reg no's. new age related ones are allocated from previously un used numbers from areas that had few new machines registerd back i those days - so mostly they relate to rural areas. If you can get together enough evidence of what an original reg no is for a machine then they can re issue the original number - providing it wasnt sold off by a previous owner as a plate transfer.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Ian DB

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 12:20:58 PM »
Its the 2nd and 3rd letter that depict the area code, in this case OH would be Birmingham. My 500/4 was uk registered in 2012 and carries WWE... as the start of the reg no. WE being Sheffield and this fits with the location of the chap I bought the bike from who registered it.

A few years back I got my landrover serries IIa age changed from its then current reg no. to an age related one basically to capitalise on the tax exempt status that had just come into force and this was done at the Trafford office in Manchester and I was subsequently was issued with GVR... VR being Manchester.

So it does tie up that the local offices do, well did as they all closed in December. use area codes when they could.

No idea how things will pan out not that its all being run from Swansea. Took them 3 months to send me my log book

Hope that makes sense

Ian

Offline tom400f

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 12:28:55 PM »
With the old scheme (year letter at the end, or when that ran out at the beginning) it is the last two letters that relate to the region. The first letter is just for more combinations, so SOH means OH is the region code.

According to http://www.drivearchive.co.uk/regcodes.htm that is Birmingham. Looks like all the ones with an S in them are Scotland.

The ones I know check out on that list, so Simon your bike is a Brummie one!
1978 CB400F2 Yellow
1995 VFR750FS Red
1997 VFR750FV Lapis Blue
2013 Yamaha FZ8 Grey

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2014, 02:15:50 PM »
Aye. Thanks fellas... indeed, for no apparent reason I've now got a  Brummie bike (not that it matters). And thanks for all the helps / inputs.

Ian DB - I used to live in dear old Chorley ( for 6 years in a past life) - has it stopped raining yet!

Offline Ian DB

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 06:57:29 PM »
Hi Lobo, I'm just down the road in Anderton I'm sure you will know it, and no its still raining.

Ian

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal