Author Topic: Rear lighting Question ??  (Read 4031 times)

Offline cb750stu

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Rear lighting Question ??
« on: January 27, 2014, 07:49:40 AM »
Hi Folks just wondering about my rear light,

Ive bought one of those Millar Stop lights it has a green and a black wire that's all,

My loom has a brown, green and a green/yellow for my back light,

I suppose my question is what wires do I use from my loom to the black green on my light,

Not having much luck with the wiring at the moment wired everything up yesterday and all that worked was the back light couldn't get the brake light to work though ??

Cheers

Stu
1976 CB750 F1 SS in bits !!! but getting there

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
Re: rear lighting question??
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 08:38:42 AM »
Stu... guess your Miller STOP has two bulbs or filaments (ie Tail + Stop) ... and since you only have two leads I'd reckon each is the positive supply to each bulb (or filament)

The two bulbs (or filaments) will then have a common earth to the Miller unit... eg via a mounting bolt to your mudguard (whatever)... which is where the Honda Green earth wire needs to go. (Ie ensure the Green is well connected to a good metal part of the light unit)

Without seeing the Miller my guess is you'd need to wire it this way...

If the Tail & STOP lights are arse about then simply swap the black & red leads over.

Hope this helps.
Simon
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 08:42:36 AM by Lobo »

Offline cb750stu

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Rear lighting Question ??
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 08:45:38 AM »
Cheers Simon,

I'll run a green wire from the body of the light and hook it up to my green wire on the loom cheers for the pic by the way that explains perfectly what to do cheers,

Stu

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 08:50:06 AM »
... hope it works. If no luck post a pic of the internals / back of the lamp?

Assume the Honda loom / switches / fuses all in good shape.. !

Offline cb750stu

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 08:58:31 AM »
Hi,

I need to re check all the grounds again I know this is the most common fault, all fuses are fine !!

I have relocated the starter solenoid to a bracket above the battery this saved extending the starter motor cable, which way do the wires go on the starter solenoid ?? I have the main wire from the starter motor to one side and the + from battery and the small loom cable  part to the other side so 2 on one side and one on the other ??

Does the solenoid have to be earthed to the frame ie the solenoid holder have to be on bare metal ???

Cheers

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 09:33:24 AM »
Hi again...

I've learned in the past that Honda wiring diagrams / colours are not 100% standard??? but here goes if your bike is what I'd guess..

The starter solenoid is not earthed directly, that is the job of the starter button... which connects the solenoid to earth via a Yellow / red lead when you press it.

The other side of the solenoid is fed a live wire from the ignition switch (black)(see below)

To check your rear light wiring simply grab the nearest (good) 12v bulb (eg from an indicator) and put it between the GREEN wire.... and the BROWN wire. It should glow, assuming the ignition is on & lights selected on.

Next put the bulb between the GREEN and the YELLOW / GREEN...  Now it should work only when the brake is pressed.

If the above checks work then (that part of) the Honda wiring is fine... if not then you'll need to sort this ahead of the Miller.

...appreciate the wiring diagram is CB400, but the colours / wiring are generally common...and my '750 pic is too crap to easily read. IF YOUR '750 wiring colours don't match then perhaps you're on a different wiring...
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 09:40:11 AM by Lobo »

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 09:50:35 AM »
Stu... just found this from my K2 manual... confirming one side of the starter solenoid goes to the starter button (switch #1); and the other side to the ignition (switch #2). Can't determine wire colours, but do guess they'll be Yellow / Red.... and Black. (we're of course talking the small connections to the solenoid - and it doesn't matter which way around they're connected btw)

If your bike is a different wiring spec / colours don't match I'll have to bow out & hand over to the gurus.. Brian...Oddjob!!!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 10:19:51 AM by Lobo »

Offline cb750stu

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 10:50:31 AM »
Hi Simon this is how ive done it [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

So it doesn't matter what way I put the wires on the Solenoid ??

Cheers

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 11:48:28 AM »
Hi Stu,

Now that I know you've an F1 I've been looking for that wiring diagram... no luck but will try again shortly.

A solenoid is simply a long coil of wire which magnetises when you stick a current through it... and it doesn't matter which way around you connect it...  The two ends of the coil are the small wires which disappear into your loom plug?

This 'magnetism' pulls down a heavy switch to connect the two heavy 'studs' & allow current to pass to the starter motor... and again it doesn't matter which way around you connect the heavy cables to the big solenoid studs.

You'll likely have another wire (red / white?) ... this will be connected to the same 'heavy stud' on the solenoid as the large diameter battery cable..  and this is the main battery feed to the user systems of the bike... and from here will go to the rectifier (for charging) and also to the main 15A fuse... and thence to the ignition.

Stu, I'm working 'blind' here, hope it all makes sense, colours of wires etc might help.

Cheers,
Simon (and excuse the scraps of paper...)

er sorry  OddJob... see our letters crossed in the post!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 11:51:07 AM by Lobo »

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2014, 12:11:09 PM »
Stu... is the plug you talk of a single wire.... or two?

If its a single (& likely Red/White) it will be connected to the same heavy pole as the main battery cable, and be responsible for supplying battery power to the bike.

If the plug has 2 wires it'll likely be the feed to the solenoid coil, in which case neither should be connected to the main battery pole. (one will go to the ignition switch through the clutch switch?... and the other to the starter button)

Let us know the 'plug' wire(s), and various colours if able.

Your last post... are you sorted!!!

Offline cb750stu

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2014, 01:12:12 PM »
Hi Folks thanks for the help,

I have the 3 wires pictured

No 1. The top one I have as my negative on battery to frame as ground
NO 2. The one with the rubber covers (middle) I have going to the solenoid from positive on the battery.
No 3. The bottom one with the white plug I have going to the same side as number 2 with the white plug going into the loom so No 2+3 onto the same connection on the solenoid ?? it should have a ring terminal on the end that's a pic I got from google not mine,

The 2 thin wires I have sorted they go into the loom I know where they go as I marked up the loom a while back shame I didn't take pics of the rest of it lol

Cheers Stu

PS no 3 wire is made up of 2 wires
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 01:21:36 PM by cb750stu »

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2014, 01:22:57 PM »
Alrighty... seems you're sorted.

#3 must be a single cable / plug... and feeds electrical power to the ignition / used for charging.  And as you correctly say, is connected to the same solenoid post as #2.

May be the pic, but the earth cable looks 'a bit light' - it has to carry a lot of current and needs to be as substantial as the battery cable to the solenoid & thence starter motor. But.. you say a Google pic & not yours...?

Hopefully you can get back to that rear light!

Good luck.
Simon
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 01:32:36 PM by Lobo »

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2014, 01:30:39 PM »
Just re-read your last post & 'see' you mention #3 wire is made up of two wires. 'Happy' with that... one will go directly to the main fuse, the second to the rectifier (for battery charging).

Cheers..

Offline cb750stu

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2014, 01:33:28 PM »
Thanks very much folks,

I'll have a look at my back light when I get home and see what happens, at least i'm getting there now lol

Thanks

Stu

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2014, 01:46:09 PM »
Stu... just a thought on the Miller light. IF its a load of LEDs in there perhaps don't connect it up until you positively know how it should be wired... LEDs are polarity conscious. If it is indeed good old light bulbs the worst you'll do is blow a fuse....

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal