Author Topic: tips for buying a cafe racer  (Read 2668 times)

Offline MikeM

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
tips for buying a cafe racer
« on: January 28, 2014, 09:37:08 PM »
so looking at café racer bikes.

My late dad had one back in the 60s and so wish i knew what happened to it........

anyway if you was to recommend one to a friend.... already built what would you recommend and why?

sure my dads was based on either a trident or triton ... unsure which one but close to that

Offline Ewan 500 K1

• SOHC Pro
  • jings crivens help ma boab
    • View Profile
    • Adams Bros Probe 2001
Re: tips for buying a cafe racer
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 10:08:39 PM »
so looking at café racer bikes.

My late dad had one back in the 60s and so wish i knew what happened to it........

anyway if you was to recommend one to a friend.... already built what would you recommend and why?

sure my dads was based on either a trident or triton ... unsure which one but close to that

Difficult one Mike, cafes can be so variable in build quality. So what you are effectively doing (arguably unless youre wanting to spend a fortune on a professional build  is putting your trust in an unknown quantity.  "Cafe's" range from right old rats with a non stock seat on to really fine pieces of bespoke engineering solution. Also, as far as I can see almost all decent cafe builds cost more quids to put togeather than they are would fetch in the market place ....... bear in mind that sometimes you also dont get what you pay for etc etc.

I'd say build your own , plenty advice and help on here to get you there. question would then be what the donor bike should be,. Dunno how deep yer pockets are , but old britsh bikes are outa my league price wise. In my opinion the Honda CB's (both twins and fours) make a more afforable alternative, although they have seen some price hikes in recent years.

So, why do you want one, whats your fettlig skills like, how mucho spondoolies do you want to spend  ?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 11:05:24 PM by Ewan 500 K1 »
jings crivens help ma boab

500K1/550K3 mongrel cafe racer project for now at http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,4120.0.html

500K1 basket case for later

Offline MikeM

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 10:22:26 PM »
My dad was into these and I can remember being on the back of one.......

Why do I fancy one now ..... well had a shot of one recently and it felt right, cant put it into words apart from fun.

Been to a few shows with the guys and had some good weekends away with them.... ideally would love to go to the tt's one day on one ...... one day

still learning every day, going on a welding course soon which I hope will help a bit

Offline MikeM

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 10:36:11 PM »
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 10:38:32 PM by MikeM »

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 10:48:02 PM »
The first one Mike, belongs to a member not too far away and you can see the quality of workmanship. The second one looks a bit cheap.

Offline MikeM

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 10:53:15 PM »
so best to build one yourself over a few years ?

is there a guide to building a good café racer..... I would like one like my dads but a lot of money now around 10k I would guess, but the cb seems a perfect bike to make into a cafe

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 11:00:05 PM »
It is down to personal chose. I think twins look better, CB500T.

Offline Norniron

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 11:03:04 PM »
Didnt the 500 twin come with its own plank
1977 400 cafe
1972 500/4
2013 triumph STR675

Offline Ewan 500 K1

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
    • Adams Bros Probe 2001
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 11:07:33 PM »
so best to build one yourself over a few years ?

is there a guide to building a good café racer..... I would like one like my dads but a lot of money now around 10k I would guess, but the cb seems a perfect bike to make into a cafe

might be a bit like asking if there is a guide to how to dance to motorheid ... watch whats goin on around you, do your own thing and let it evolve over time

500K1/550K3 mongrel cafe racer project for now at http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,4120.0.html

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 11:08:03 PM »
Yes, but the engines are cheaper to rebuild, 2 cylinder.

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 11:08:11 PM »
There is only one I would be interested in but I would need a lot of cash. I'm not prepared to take on some back street mechanics idea.
Honda GB500. You know it's fun and reliable and in the spirit of cafes.

'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Set/sit. Bought/brought FFS. Bloody Americans.

Les Ross. Certified by a Professional

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2014, 11:09:47 PM »
Yes, but the engines are cheaper to rebuild, 2 cylinder.

And you would be doing that often.   ;D
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Set/sit. Bought/brought FFS. Bloody Americans.

Offline Ewan 500 K1

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
    • Adams Bros Probe 2001
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2014, 11:35:58 PM »
There is only one I would be interested in but I would need a lot of cash. I'm not prepared to take on some back street mechanics idea.
Honda GB500. You know it's fun and reliable and in the spirit of cafes.

'cept it needs rid of that mingin tank , silly big rear light and indicators  ;) .... if only I could claim to be any kind of mehanic I'd be dancin    ;D ;D.. Meantime I've become a top end fixer at typin. Now where's that universal 10mm spanner gone again ?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 11:38:19 PM by Ewan 500 K1 »

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2014, 11:45:10 PM »
I'm sure if I owned it I would remove some of the larger items as well. If I can make it lighter I will.   :)

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2014, 07:11:16 AM »
Amember has put up an unfinished projet for sale based on a 550 four, look in the for sale bit

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal