Author Topic: Silvers having a laugh.  (Read 6438 times)

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
Silvers having a laugh.
« on: March 08, 2014, 06:08:50 PM »
Took my bike out for it's first run since October. Bike kept going on to two pots. I discovered it was sticky contact breakers(points) for 2 and 3. Tried cleaning the buggers but the problem persists.
So I decided to check Silvers for genuine replacements...  It would cost me £39.30.  Fork that.  Aftermarket will cost me £9. £2.50 of which is delivery. For the genuines delivery it's £11.75
Something totally messed up with their delivery process. It should not be based on cost, but on size/weight.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 06:31:44 PM by LesterPiglet »
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Set/sit. Bought/brought FFS. Bloody Americans.

Les Ross. Certified by a Professional

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Silvers having a laugh.
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 06:38:55 PM »
Lester,
Said it all along the post charges are getting unrelistic.A full set of decals excluding tank strips were half the price of the post f ck me they go in a letter dont they?The other day a crank for something like 20 quid post over a grand albiet from the states who on earth is going to pay that I only paid a grand for the whole bike.
Sometimes I think sell em cheap get the buggars with the post costs.
Cheers
Bitsa
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 06:46:22 PM by Bitsa »
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 06:54:44 PM »
They sound cheep  ::) There £50.40 plus post for the 750.

Mick
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 07:15:19 PM »
50 quid a piece or set ? Either way I am glad I bought a shed load cheap.
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 07:28:09 PM »
Same points for the 550 and 750.

Actually it looks like all the fours use the same points.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 07:32:32 PM by LesterPiglet »
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Set/sit. Bought/brought FFS. Bloody Americans.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 07:30:10 PM »
I only wanted a tappet but, the postage was £2.50. So he is on hold until i need other parts. 

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 07:34:53 PM »
I only wanted a tappet but, the postage was £2.50. So he is on hold until i need other parts.
Make sure the parts don't amount to more than £20 or you will pay £11.75 postage.  >:(

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2014, 07:41:32 PM »
Lester, you should of ordered the 750 points. Maybe they will last twice as long and give better performance.  ;)

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2014, 07:44:59 PM »
Lester, you should of ordered the 750 points. Maybe they will last twice as long and give better performance.  ;)

I won't be using Silvers if I can help it.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2014, 07:48:19 PM »
All we need now is the exchange rate for the euro to go back to 1.60 to the pound and CMS will be a lot cheaper than Dave Silver Parts.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2014, 09:41:17 AM »
He joined us a few weeks ago , at my request, then I guess he bowed out because of all the comments about his hikes in  prices , making him rich a rich man etc., which just coincidentally happened to be being aired at the time he joined. He then contacted me and asked if we have any issues/queries, for me  to direct him to the relevant post, which I am happy to do. As a group, we may be able to get some kind of concession from him  I don't know but worth asking I suppose. But let's give him some credit too. e.g. he is importing Yamiya NO.NO. pipes and selling them without a massive markup. How much would they cost us directly from Yamiya, once you have paid the import charges and delivery?

Cheers... AshD
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2014, 10:36:11 AM »
That doesn't justify two different delivery charges for the same package.
If he wants to keep a loyal customer base these postage charges need revised.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2014, 10:54:46 AM »
I used to spend hundreds with Dave silvers - Prices used to be competative enough to be worth just ordering all the parts I needed for a year, but my last order went to Wemoto as even just a few brake pads and throttle cables was set to cost significantly more - thing is for restoration, customers demand high standards, not just functionality, that drives up prices as returns dent profits. For me who just runs a bike for transport it means I'm off elsewhere. For Dave Silvers bussiness he is chasing serious restorations and is frankly king of the hill on that front, with a pretty solid reputation, as well as having the buying power to get stuff repoduced, though I immagine that comes with it's own fairly mammoth overheads in warehousing terms, millions of £££ worth of stock to keep in order and insure. My mate runs a small motox shop that recently got done over by scum, in terms of un insured losses, stock that wasn't immediately obvious had been taken etc the robbery cost him personally £15k and his insurance renewal will go up too. Dave silver is playing a high steaks game but without him a lot of sohc bikes might not be viable with small details like brake calipers now being re produced. The postage issue I'd hope will be resolved as it is a major put off.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2014, 11:54:32 AM »
OK I have linked him to this post via Facebook.

Personally I think he is one of the good guys.

Cheers.. AshD
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 12:28:03 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal