Author Topic: you're not going to like this about exhausts !  (Read 6075 times)

Offline antonypo

• SOHC Associate
  • wheres the breaks on these cb 750's !
    • View Profile
you're not going to like this about exhausts !
« on: April 17, 2014, 10:51:49 PM »
 :-[ >:(Well some of you may be aware I have started to restore my brown cb 750k4 and for some time I have looked at prices for the exhaust system from people like david s.s. etc.
 Are they having a laugh? I cannot justify spending £1600 - £2000 on an exhaust.
I know , I know-  it's not going to look or sound right but i want to ride this when it's done - but would I dare !!- and without the original type 4in4 I will be spending about 5.5 k including purchase price and possibly a MAC 4-2 exhaust. It will be years before I would get £7k for it. You may think I have overspent - or will do but I have been very selective on things I need to make a good job. I did buy an original seat for £400 and that's been the most expensive thing, then front mudguard,seat lock and chrome chain guard another £400. But as you all know you make a list as long as your arm when you take the thing apart and it all adds up. My only oversight was the back wheel which is the wrong one and will be another £320 including build and tyre.

Well anyhooo I'm enjoying the project and I'm really not complaining. I knew it would cost to do it properly right down to replacing nuts and bolts and electrics.
My point is :-
How come these are selling for about £5k restored
Is the mac 4-2 exhaust at £300 a good option for now then possibly if I want to sell in the future, invest in an expensive exhaust prior to advertising it?
Antony

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: you're not going to like this about exhausts !
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 11:25:59 PM »
You will always overspend but its always worth it ;)
I was lucky enough to get my pipes cheep enough so I will use the bike what ever the weather.
5k Sounds about right iv spent around 8.5k on two bikes and the bill is still growing. ::)
I don't think the price of the pipes push the value up much they just make it easier to shift.

I originally bought my bike as an investment but I can't see me selling it any time soon I like them so much I bought another. 8) 

Mick
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 09:59:10 AM »
Agree with Mick,
It for me is a passion and makes me feel young as I had one in the days and I can not stop myself buying parts that catch my eye.
When I sell something that's no longer needed I spend it on another bit.3 to 4 years ago I think
I only paid 900 quid for the set and that was everything from the head to footrests from DS.
Now that for some reason no one can make them anymore when you can find them they are megga bucks.I have gone past the point of no return and no I will not get my money back but I love riding it and don't think I will never sell it.What the wife does with it when I'm gone that's up to her.
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline antonypo

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 10:55:46 AM »
Fair enough, you're right - and I'm not in it to sell and make a profit. It's just a hell of a lot of money.
I would love a set. I think the best bet is to hang on until the rebuild then see how i feel at the point when it needs some sort of exhaust.
Antony

Offline mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 11:52:36 AM »
sometimes if your lucky a half decent secondhand set turn up, I paid £120 I think for a set of hm341's from a guy in Ireland the lowers have been repaired but only on the underside so from the outside they look ok  8), cheers Mick.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 12:46:33 PM »
Antony, you can bring the price of the rear wheel down by building it yourself. Stainless spokes £70
                                                                                                                         Wheel rim              £100
                                                                                                                          Tyre                      £60
That will knock 90 off.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 01:12:08 PM »
Trig,
Did see them the other day just one thing he claims they never had exhaust gas in them.
Why are the head bits a bit black?Apart from that look a nice set of 300s
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 01:19:29 PM »
See what you mean  Bitsa, Still buy them and then knock him for mis-description. 
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 01:52:00 PM by trigger6969 »

Offline antonypo

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2014, 02:45:58 PM »
Thanks for the link - it's already up to a grand and I would say it will be one of those things that go not far less than buying new - and that;s without the heat shields.
No one has commented on the Mac 4 into 2 as a temporary. Are they any good???
Antony

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2014, 02:57:54 PM »
Anthony
Sorry cant help you there the last non standard exhaust I had dealings with was a Moturd 4 to 1
in the 70s
Cheers
Bitsa

Offline antonypo

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2014, 07:37:14 PM »
Just seen a set for a lot less but it says to fit 1977/78. Is there a big difference, can't see why they won't fit.
Antony

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2014, 07:42:35 PM »
Not really sure but could be k7 k8 you can tell by the ends they are more rounder
Cheers
Bitsa

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2014, 08:18:36 PM »
K7 K8 pipes do fit and don't look to bad.Better than a Moturd anyway.
You will need to fit studs in the engine but thats no biggie.

Mick
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2014, 08:25:19 PM »
Mick,
Did not know that, obviously knew to change to studs.Do they look the part because I have seen some nos somewhere at a good price.
Cheers
Bitsa

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal