Other Stuff > Misc / Open

Bizarre

<< < (3/3)

UK Pete:

--- Quote from: Bitsa on May 17, 2014, 10:32:42 AM ---One way of doing it.I on the other hand believe if you are going to do it do it right.
By the way I thought I was called Bitsa Florence.
Cheers
Bitsa

--- End quote ---
As for doing it right, i suppose it depends on how you look at it, i bet you do lots of work on your bike without taking it to someone else to do, so is that right or wrong,  say a wheel for example if it was rebuilt by the owner to the same standard as a shop then what is the difference, if its structurally sound and true to tollerence then all is good, same with brakes, fitting tyres, suspension etc all these things can be undertaken by the owner and done correctly / right,
pete

Lobo:
I reckon you're being a little unfair Bitsa / too black & white etc. You're perhaps at the stage of life where your mortgage is zip & you can afford to buy the best... but many folk are simply 'not there' yet, balancing homes, kids, hobbies blah blah. It's just too simplistic to say, "only buy OEM"; time & money are just too big-a-factor.

Admittedly I too am at the stage of life where I can mostly afford OEM, and generally I agree with you. But, to be honest, (& I blame my mum & dad for this!) there is a certain thrill of 'getting a bargain'.... which might well encompass an evening in the garage tweaking things here & there to get a perfect fit. I don't mind... the alternative might be a wrist-slitting eve of bloody English telly, whatever.

And I too need new wheels, but am (sadly?) excited at the prospect at re-lacing them myself. I fully appreciate it may cost more in the long run... but that is not the point.

Horses for courses, each to his own I guess.

Simon

Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP):
Guys
It is not what I am saying If you do not have a go yourself how are you going to get experienced?I suppose its the same with cheap spares again buy them spend a lot of time arsing about and then go what a waste that was.Its ok for that if you are young but at my age I want it to start go, look and sound nice.True not all are my generation and right each to there own but I for one would sooner ride it than frack about with substitutes.Whatever floats your boat ok I think I know what some think.Did not mean to offend anyone but if you can afford it do it and reap the benifits.
Cheers
Bitsa

matthewmosse:
It's transport first, a classic second. I have fitted pattern rear mudguards made of fiberglass, they'll last longer and survive winter use. the pattern exhaust is affordable so I'll have that, the K&N filter fitted by previous owner made it produce more power and run better and is cheaper than replacing a ceaner element reguarly so that is getting re instated. When I bought my 500's they were barely credible as classics and more seen as cheap bangers, but the style floated my boat. I can appriciate (near) perfect restored machines using all OEM parts, with immaculate chrome and paint, but they aren't what I'd want to own myself - I need something that I can park on the street outside work overnight. That way I can really enjoy going to and from work, with 2 kids and a wife to take up my time a bike that couldn't do that wouldn't get used not to mention I've rarely had time to go for a ride just for the sake of it, even before the kids. Some pattern parts are rubbish, but if you clock up milage commuting you rapidly learn which parts are rubbish quality and where genuine savings can be made, though sometimes it aint that simple, I've had brake linings fall off but think it was as much to do with damp storage and exceptionally wet weather as the base shoe quality on reflection. £400 on a shed will not only solve this but hopefully save me time and money in other ways as the weather does other dammage too. I aint offended btw. Afford is a funny term, means different things to different folks. I tend do do without even if I can afford as there is always another bill lurking around the corner, but if bargins arise I buy even if not needed, means the bikes I like cost very little to run as even engines are there on the shelf.

Bryanj:
hels are easy and you don't need anything special to get to manufactures spec, a vice and a long screwdriver  is all you need and lacing them in the right order

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version