Author Topic: Spoke Finish on 750K0  (Read 963 times)

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Spoke Finish on 750K0
« on: June 05, 2014, 07:11:32 AM »
In this Vic World (CB750 'Sandcast' resto Guru in the US) article  linked below, it is stated that he nickel plates the wheel spokes. I can't believe he would deviate from original spec. Or was it just a misprint? What was the factory finish? I have a really nice condition '69 CL350 front wheel with original finish and the spoke finish looks more like nickel than BZP.

http://www.worldmotorcycles.com/Pages/MC-Retro-Article.html

Cheers .. AshD
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 07:15:52 AM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline kettle738

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Spoke Finish on 750K0
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 09:59:48 PM »

I wonder if that's a typo or misunderstanding on the part of the author......all the Hondas I've owned that have been original and unmolested had bright zinc spokes with yellow passivate nipples.

I took some crankcase bolts into Ashford chroming a couple of years back for BZP, they came back nickel plated....I still have them.....nicely nickel plated but ruined as I can't use them like that, totally different finish.

BZP does change colour and dull quite dramatically with age.

Mick...........kettle738 

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Re: Spoke Finish on 750K0
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 10:55:33 PM »
Guess you a right Mick probably a mis-quote / typo by the author, as the spokes I have had on '70's Honda's will have  the plating  finish removed when dipped in phosphoric acid. Nickel would be a lot more resistant.
BTW when he sold his PP bike earlier this year, I looked at his Ebay selling  history and he had  sold the remains of quite a few NOS K1 750 seats (cover etc) so I guess, like me, he bought NOS K1 seats in order to get the base and stainless trim.

Cheers  ... AshD
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 10:57:48 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal