Author Topic: Its time to come clean guys go easy on me  (Read 12916 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Re: Its time to come clean guys go easy on me
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2014, 12:40:23 PM »
Yes I think it is James, there is a subtle difference between a K0 and an early K1. I thought mine was OK but ChrisR (who I consider to be the UK expert along with John Wyatt, told me it was off a K1). Is it for sale? If so I am definitely interested and I will email Chris with your pics if that's OK as he will know for definite if it's off a K0.

Thanks .. Ash
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2014, 12:49:00 PM »
Yeah feel free to ask him to check it. And yes its for sale only to you..:-)

Bodd

« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2014, 12:59:50 PM »
I've been thinking what the heck is a Sandcast so did a little investigating and now the penny has dropped for the comment in this thread about engine paint, cases looking a bit rough as though they were cast in sand or something. Which of you has the Candy Gold one mentioned here then ?

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2014, 02:53:33 PM »
I've been thinking what the heck is a Sandcast so did a little investigating and now the penny has dropped for the comment in this thread about engine paint, cases looking a bit rough as though they were cast in sand or something. Which of you has the Candy Gold one mentioned here then ?

Sorry buy you won't find him on here I don't think and from what I can gather he is in no rush to restore it back to it's former glory. It's evidently been stripped down in parts for at least the last 25 years and it had royal connections too as it was originally owned by Rollo Feilding the Earl of Denbigh, sold to him specially by Honda UK!! Real shame but there you go. The Candy Blue/Green one seems to have disappeared also since Vic World sold it. Unless someone knows differently!! Perhaps UKPete bought it and is hiding it from the missus  :D.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earl_of_Denbigh

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wmiyysql9einpaq/MCM%20CB750%201969%20Brighton%20Bike%201.JPG

Cheers .. AshD
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2014, 03:51:53 PM »
Yeah feel free to ask him to check it. And yes its for sale only to you..:-)

F-ck i missed out there , i am after a rolled rim for the sandcast and k0,if you find any more James give me first refusal
pete

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2014, 03:53:45 PM »
nice one bodd you sussed it out,
pete

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2014, 04:01:58 PM »
Sorry pete didn't realise - and we've hijacked your bloody thread as well in the process.
If ash passes I'll let you know...J

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2014, 04:30:59 PM »
Thanks james
pete

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2014, 07:37:54 PM »
I shared your view about 5 years ago, something just happens and the obssesion starts, i am so excited about this bike its hard to put into words, however if you read my recent huge flurry of postings you will see how the passion for these bikes has a grip of me, and also you may see that i also regard these bikes as a pension fund, better still a pension fund that i am enjoying all the time right up to when i cash it in, i respect your views oddjob, and when i present a lovely restored example of the 69 cb750 sandcast (be it a few years from  now) i would like to think i have earnt some respect for bringing back this legendry bike from the dead
Each to their own though fella do watch my progress even if you dont see the point
pete

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2014, 08:00:51 PM »

Sorry guys but I just don't see what the big deal is with the K0. Ok it was the first mass production 4 cylinder bike, get that. However compared to the K1 for instance it's a poor cousin IMO. 4 carb cables, no thanks.

If it was a VERY VERY early one I could see it, I had a mate who had frame number 21 for the KH500, that I understood, but when there are thousands between your bike and the first one it kinda loses it's attraction to me. If it had a very famous previous owner, yeah I could get that.

Would I pay mega bucks for a early K0, no I wouldn't. I really don't get it, I don't even think the K0 500 is a better or more attractive option over the K1 and that's my favourite bike, sometimes older isn't better.

Just my opinion and we are all entitled to those, don't wish to upset anyone but I really wish someone would explain to me why they are willing to take a 2nd mortgage out on a bike I feel doesn't warrant it.

There are some bikes I'd pay a little over the odds for, a Z1 for instance, so long as it wasn't the Z1B which was slower and less exciting IMO. Same applies to the CBX1000, love a double shock version of that monster. I test rode the first one in our dealership and I've been in love with it ever since.

You make a fair point oddjob, guess it all comes down to objectivity / personal preference.

I love the pre-k2 bikes. K1 is still my personal preference to ride but there's something 'raw' about the k0's that make them a special bike to me. And I think the styling is the best of the 750 range in my opinion. And to be honest, when the 4-1 throttle cables / carbs are setup properly there's no discernible difference to the k1-on  in my view. 

And in terms of an investment, I guess the market is kind of dictating that one - It'll have the last word I'm sure....

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2014, 08:05:58 PM »

Pete I will be the first to say well done for bringing back yet another old SOHC. I get that part, I remember my first restoration, the excitement, the really strong urge to start skipping corners when the bike is 99% complete, the thrill of the first ride. Worth every penny. However I don't understand why someone would pay over the odds for a bucket of parts and a frame when you can buy a later (and IMO a better model of the same bike) for a LOT less and in probably better condition. Plus you get those snobs who look down their noses at K0s which for instance have a few K1 parts on them "oh dear" they say " it's not totally original is it my dear chap".
I'm with you on that last point oddjob re. the whole snobbery thing. That properly pisses me off ha ha..

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2014, 08:20:25 PM »
My view is whatever floats yer boat guys,Me personally dont like all the painted coachwork saying that if one came along at the right price who knows.I hate the word sandcast not only does it look rough but the pound signs start rotating.
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2014, 08:39:01 PM »
All points taken chaps, if we all had the same opinions woudnt the world be boring, hopefully i will win the 69 bikes a few more fans along the way of this restoration,

As carpy would say peace and grease

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2014, 09:21:21 PM »
I will always love the Sandcast it's that chopper bobber thing I can't get my head around.
Pete I'm looking at you. :P

Mick
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2014, 09:29:40 PM »
Yeah Pete for a man of such good taste what's that all about ? ( :-) joking - I get it...)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal