Author Topic: HAVE PEOPLE GONE MENTAL  (Read 11113 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Re: HAVE PEOPLE GONE MENTAL
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2014, 09:47:10 AM »
F it, I am rising to the challenge, taking the bait, blah, blah, blah.  :) I am going to get that bracket onto CAD and laser cut and make a few. Then I'll tackle the wire thingy and then the wiring guide. May take a few weeks though as I am mega busy at work at the 'mo. I am not sure I have the wiring guide with the PVC coating on it, on my bike, so may need your help guys plus I need to get some PVC black dip from a mate of mine. Not sure if the grommet is still available but I know someone who will mould it, who is a rubber moulder in Hull and a Honda Cafe guy, so one of us. Going to check with David Silver first though that hes not got them in the pipeline. Quality Chrome guys son works with me so will tap him up for the chroming. Will get my chemist mate to  analyse the grommet rubber and my metalurgist mate to tell me the grade of steel for the 3 parts. With all these favours can feel the floodgates opening on fixing cracked screen Iphones ... GRRRR.  ::)

BTW playing with  a micro spot-welder for my own business this week.. bl**dy brilliant. Although had to replace Chinese mains fuse from 5A to 13A  (it says on the back current 220-240 VAC 2-15A).  Dims the office lights when you weld with it though  ::) . Made my own SS leadscrew by wrapping 0.4 mm SS wire around a 1mm bar and micro spot welding the wire at either end. Going to tackle those clock bands next with it!

UPDATE : emailed DSS

Cheers ...AshD
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 09:56:32 AM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

bike-pusher

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2014, 11:33:56 AM »
That sounds worthwhile.  The circular grommet in the clutch cable guide is plastic, btw, not rubber.  I'd just warn that all that tooling up may be a waste of effort, because you have to consider your customer base. 

I've noticed that the people who bid on these little clips and guides I sell are all the same buyers.  I have a shrewd feeling that there may not actually be that many people in the market for them.  In other words, you may find yourself only selling maybe a couple of dozen.

The lifting handles was a different thing - absolutely everyone took them off back in the day, because they fitted carriers to the back of the bike.  The clips and guides get lost because people get forgetful, which isn't quite as common an event.

Offline BigAl (Alan)

• SOHC Pro
  • Hope its sunny at the weekend
    • View Profile
    • www.alans-electrics.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2014, 11:58:56 AM »
As bike-pusher says the inner ring is plastic.
I have a XL 500S with 2 similar cable guides. see www.cmsnl.com steering head item 3 & 4. The inner plastic cable guide is available part No. 45466-239-000 (3 euros)....Alan
Current bikes:-
Honda CB750 K4 (1974) USA
Honda XL500S (1980) UK
Honda CD175 sloper (1968) UK
Honda CB1100A (2013) UK
www.alans-electrics.co.uk

bike-pusher

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2014, 12:08:10 PM »
Interesting.  I wouldn't be at all surprised if the metal clip itself isn't used on another model....

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2014, 12:16:27 PM »
Not really after selling them, not my game !. Just rising to the challenge and I am getting loads of stuff laser cut anyway for my job. I need the wiring loom guide thingy  pic attached, anyway and no way am I paying bidding war prices for one ... out of stubborn principle!

Cheers .. Ash

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 01:16:21 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline BigAl (Alan)

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2014, 12:21:16 PM »
There are 2 mounting points on the XL500s, but I would think the plastic insert is the same size...what do you think Ash?....Alan
Honda XL500S (1980) UK
Honda CB1100A (2013) UK

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2014, 09:55:45 PM »
F it, I am rising to the challenge, taking the bait, blah, blah, blah.  :) I am going to get that bracket onto CAD and laser cut and make a few. Then I'll tackle the wire thingy and then the wiring guide. May take a few weeks though as I am mega busy at work at the 'mo. I am not sure I have the wiring guide with the PVC coating on it, on my bike, so may need your help guys plus I need to get some PVC black dip from a mate of mine. Not sure if the grommet is still available but I know someone who will mould it, who is a rubber moulder in Hull and a Honda Cafe guy, so one of us. Going to check with David Silver first though that hes not got them in the pipeline. Quality Chrome guys son works with me so will tap him up for the chroming. Will get my chemist mate to  analyse the grommet rubber and my metalurgist mate to tell me the grade of steel for the 3 parts. With all these favours can feel the floodgates opening on fixing cracked screen Iphones ... GRRRR.  ::)

BTW playing with  a micro spot-welder for my own business this week.. bl**dy brilliant. Although had to replace Chinese mains fuse from 5A to 13A  (it says on the back current 220-240 VAC 2-15A).  Dims the office lights when you weld with it though  ::) . Made my own SS leadscrew by wrapping 0.4 mm SS wire around a 1mm bar and micro spot welding the wire at either end. Going to tackle those clock bands next with it!

UPDATE : emailed DSS

Cheers ...AshD

Hi Ash,

I don’t believe so, but to be sure-can you confirm the Honda part no of what you are proposing to make. If it helps, we may be able to buy some from you.

Yes, we are at Stafford, in the main hall. It's free to collect orders from the stand, £1 to send orders when placed at the show.

Best Regards

David

David Silver Spares LTD
www.davidsilverspares.co.uk

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2014, 12:36:27 AM »
CLAMP CLUTCH WIRE  22872356000  (356 IS AN XL350 K0/K1 PART)

HOLDER WIRE HARN 32174377000 (377 IS A CB400 FOUR F0/'76/'77 PART)

INNER CABLE GUIDE 45466329000  3 Euro CMSNL, DSS 2.80 +VAT  (329 IS AN XL250 K0/K1/K2 PART )

GUIDE A BRK CABLE 45467329000  (329 IS AN XL250 K0/K1/K2  PART)

Plastic part is still available and would have been the hardest to repro, so no worries there.

Cheers ... AshD

bike-pusher

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2014, 08:05:40 AM »
Interesting!  I'd have put money on Honda sharing at least one of those parts with another bike, but an XL350 would not have been my first guess....

Offline BigAl (Alan)

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2014, 09:52:30 AM »
The early 1979-1981 XLs 250 & XL 500s share the same inner plastic cable guide.
Interesting project Ash, let us know how you get on. Have you bought the stock from www.cmsnl.com ?...Alan
Honda XL500S (1980) UK
Honda CB1100A (2013) UK

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2014, 09:58:16 AM »
The early 1979-1981 XLs 250 & XL 500s share the same inner plastic cable guide.
Interesting project Ash, let us know how you get on. Have you bought the stock from www.cmsnl.com ?...Alan

Will keep you posted.. Already have the parts to copy from except the loom guide.

Will be out of action for 2 days so no posts from me guys.

Cheers... Ash

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2014, 09:40:31 PM »
David Silver has emailed me saying he has not got the parts in line for repro and if I make some he will consider stocking them, so a bit of incentive :)

Another example of lunacy... still available for about 3 quid from Honda !! ..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-CB400-Four-CB400F-CB400-4-Genuine-clutch-cable-guide-loop-inner-NOS-RARE-/301249817991?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item4623e36d87&vxp=mtr

A disgrace to my Home town .. well  we did have Prescott and the Housemartins ... Nuff Said !!

Cheers ... Ash
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 09:43:59 PM by AshimotoK0 »

bike-pusher

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2014, 09:56:05 PM »
Oh, Bertrum.  Yes, he does a lot of this.

That said, I've been flogging 400F gear lever restoration kits, comprising shrouds and gear lever tips.  DS will tell you the shrouds are unavailable, because that's what the parts computer says, but they are indeed available as separate items.

Offline steven400/4

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2014, 03:11:55 PM »
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 03:13:44 PM by steven400/4 »
cb400f2 x7
honda ss 50
gsx 1400

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2014, 03:25:48 PM »
http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/parts/by-part-number/partnumber_45466329000/
Yes I know ..  They are the same more or less at CMSNL. I emailed him about a toolbox part the other week that was an astronomical price and he said he had ordered it from DSS but it was out of stock so he put a massive price on it on eBay so that nobody would bid. Is that the way to run an online business plus he is supposed to be a fellow 400/4 owner. There is also a main Honda dealer in Hull selling cam chain guides on eBay  for more than Honda sell them new and theirs are NOS.  We are already dubbed a a 'crap' town (which we are not) but these kind of people just fuel the fire.

Took the two brackets off my 400/4 last night to measure up and the 'bu**er was saying .. please please use me again  :'( so it will  happen in the spring, when all of my other resto's are due to be completed. I have played hunter-gather for too long now  :-[

Cheers.. Ash
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 03:28:26 PM by AshimotoK0 »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal