Author Topic: HAVE PEOPLE GONE MENTAL  (Read 11116 times)

bike-pusher

Re: HAVE PEOPLE GONE MENTAL
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2014, 04:20:07 PM »
To be honest, I don't have a problem with people asking silly money for something that's available for a fraction of the price elsewhere - if people don't do their homework and shop around, that's their lookout.

What annoys me are the sharks who sell stuff that simply isn't what it's claimed to be.  Instruments are the Number One category here.  I've lost count of the number of people who are offering "400 Four" clocks that are actually off a 250 or, quite recently, a CB175.

There's some bod selling a 1978 yellow 400 Four recently, mileage 22k or something, and the speedo is a 110mph one from a very early bike, so the mileage is really.... well, your guess is as good as mine....

This one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-CB-400-Four-1978-/271614226023

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2014, 06:10:17 PM »
I know this 400 well. The thing that baffles me with it is the crank case is a nice painted finish but, the barrel up don't match.

Offline tom400f

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2014, 12:20:11 AM »
How do you know it trig? The tank decals are wrong too. The blue is way too light. Should be almost black. Like something from IKEA
1978 CB400F2 Yellow
1995 VFR750FS Red
1997 VFR750FV Lapis Blue
2013 Yamaha FZ8 Grey

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2014, 05:47:31 AM »
Quote "To be honest, I don't have a problem with people asking silly money for something that's available for a fraction of the price elsewhere - if people don't do their homework and shop around, that's their lookout."

Each to their own I suppose and I am just a hobbyist as far as bike restoration is concerned and not relying on it to earn a crust but I could never justify myself charging someone 7 times the price for anything  that they could buy it for new at any Honda dealer. Just the way I was brought up I suppose. I put some 400/4 parts on eBay years ago and a silly bidding war started. At the end of the auction I just emailed the buyer and told him to pay me a figure much less than the finishing price, basically what I thought they were worth tops. I was happy and so was he. Also I have become really good friends with a few people I have sold to on eBay, they are often fellow restorers and we now swap ideas/parts/grumbles etc.

Cheers ... Ash
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline paul G

• SOHC Master
  • No room left in the garage what now !
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2014, 08:21:54 AM »
Ash,

I am of the same opinion, I put something on eBay yesterday and just wanted a fair price for it so I started the auction at £15 but wanted to put a but it now price on at £20 but eBay won't let you.
Why does it need to be 40% more all I want to do is make sure the price is fair (trigger and his 99p bargains ;)
Seems fair to me but not to eBay !!
Honda CB400 4
Honda CB550 K3 (sold)
Honda CB750 UK K1
Kawasaki Z650 C2
Kawasaki Z650 cafe racer (Sold)
Honda CD175 sloper

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2014, 08:49:07 AM »
Paul, You are never going to let that 99p deal go. It has been a year now. Still waiting for my 99p brake lines from your CB650 ;)

Offline tom400f

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2014, 08:57:47 AM »
Why does it need to be 40% more all I want to do is make sure the price is fair (trigger and his 99p bargains ;)
Seems fair to me but not to eBay !!

Ebay is very aggressive for its revenues. Its wording is very dubious to me (you surely do not have a binding contract when you win an internet auction) and if you want to close your account you have to wait 6 months "to ensure there are no revenues due to us"). If something goes wrong (eg your account gets hacked - because they lost their entire database as it turns out) they are not interested - "we are just a venue".

They make the widest inventory available to the widest audience, which is a good thing, and ultimate market forces are brought to bear. Ok. But in other ways they are quite shitty.
1978 CB400F2 Yellow
1995 VFR750FS Red
1997 VFR750FV Lapis Blue
2013 Yamaha FZ8 Grey

bike-pusher

« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2014, 09:36:00 AM »
Paul - so why didn't you set a reserve price instead?

Tom - there's a lot to criticise about eBay, but I find that as a business seller, if you play the game fairly, they're damn good.

Offline paul G

• SOHC Master
  • No room left in the garage what now !
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2014, 12:50:55 PM »
Trigger you have not sent the 99p yet  ;)
Still trying to get my hands on some of this cheap Tesco oil but non of my local stores stock it.
I have had some great deals with eBay but the policy on 40% higher is stupid all I want is a good fare price !!
Honda CB400 4
Honda CB550 K3 (sold)
Honda CB750 UK K1
Kawasaki Z650 C2
Kawasaki Z650 cafe racer (Sold)
Honda CD175 sloper

bike-pusher

« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2014, 02:29:20 PM »
I'm quite happy to give stuff away - a lot of my regular customers find 'extras' popped into their parcels from time to time.

The value of something is what someone's prepared to pay for it.  When you're into intangibles, like what it's "worth" to get something "right", as you see it, all bets are off.

What pisses me off is people flogging shit i n a deceitful manner.  Like the twonk who tried to sell me that cb125 engine recently - only the right-hand side (badly) photographed, so you didn't see the total absence of left-hand engine casing, stator, alternator, points (not to mention the mullered crankshaft end) until you got there.  And it wasn't a CB125 engine anyway.

He even got snotty because I left neutral feedback.  He deserved a neg.

There are just too many people trying to con would-be restorers and starry-eyed fifty-somethings who want to recapture their salad days.

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2014, 02:43:55 PM »
Bike pusher
Totally agree with you, now you know why I mentioned a what pisses you off page.Sounds like I am not alone
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2014, 02:53:55 PM »
Did you ask for your £2.20 back for that 125cc  engine?  ;)

Cheers ...Ash
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

bike-pusher

« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2014, 03:22:20 PM »
Ash - I took cash.  But didn't hand it over....

Offline tom400f

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2014, 03:37:18 PM »
Crackin' joke though  ::)
1978 CB400F2 Yellow
1995 VFR750FS Red
1997 VFR750FV Lapis Blue
2013 Yamaha FZ8 Grey

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2014, 03:39:11 PM »
Probably worth more than £2.20 as scrap metal!
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal