Author Topic: MOTAD ON FORUM  (Read 15890 times)

Offline motad_uk

• SOHC Associate
  • making exhausts in the uk since 1970
    • View Profile
    • MOTAD EXHAUSTS
Re: MOTAD ON FORUM
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2014, 07:43:36 AM »
I have a slightly oddball question, on 3 of my spare exhausts for the cb500 / 550 the 4 into 1 collector has rotted whilst the downpipes are still in good order, silencers are still ok. This is true of all my 4 into 1 systems, not just motad, not having a go. Where you could help is could motad make the collector section as a repair piece for owners to weld into place? If so at roughly what cost? Currently I gas weld them up as neatly as possible but it could be done neater with an all new section rather than patchwork.

the average Motad system is lasting 10 years or more- and now we are making in stainless I would have thought 25 years life span is expected. So I think that any collector area that has rusted is also going to have 15-20 year old pipes as well and welding would be a messy and non sensible option. All of our parts are available as spares and for example you can buy a silencer if you need a replacement.
Motad uk

Offline motad_uk

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
    • MOTAD EXHAUSTS
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2014, 07:46:25 AM »
Something better looking than your current generic silencer for the CB750 F1/F2 would be great. Something with removable baffles maybe, so we can make them a little less restrictive, without drilling holes in the end of the current silencers to stop them stangling the top end power:))

Sent from my GT-S5839i using Tapatalk 2

the flow on a Motad is set to be road legal and at max power- you would not believe the "free flow" systems we have run on the dyno showing lower power. Properly designed does not mean restrictive!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 09:27:18 AM by motad_uk »
Motad uk

Offline motad_uk

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
    • MOTAD EXHAUSTS
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2014, 07:51:34 AM »
Fair enough. There must be an opportunity though for a decent looking 4-1 system for the 750. everything I've seen to date just looks a bit bland..?

up for doing something different- with so many people restoring them to original (and then not riding them as they have spent so much money- I regret selling that mint k2 for £330 all those years ago! )- I am up for suggestions. Only downside is that any "proper" system needs perhaps 40-50 hours of work on development and preparation for manufacture so we need to sell around 20 to cover these costs

any chance of replica CB500-4 ,HM 323 pipes? I am sure there may be a reasonable market.
hopefully -))))

my "tongue in cheek " comments would be (if you want exact copies!) that you want a very expensive exhaust that fails inside an average of 3 years?- only joking but we have survived for 40 years because the original exhausts were designed to last 3-4 years max as Honda wanted you to have traded and been on a new bike by then. Have to say I am concerned from both a business and personal level as we see more far eastern produced "original copies"- most that have not been developed on the bike and with cosmetic quality chrome. Ok for the bikes being trailed to shows but not good for actually riding !
Motad uk

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2014, 07:52:08 AM »
Possibly there is an internal problem on the silencer I have then, power seems strangled at high revs, struggles to get to 105, put the standard exhaust back on and it is rapid to 120!

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2014, 07:53:52 AM »
I went to your web site some time ago and asked about just a silencer for a CBX550 that already has a Motad but was told not available. has this changed?

Offline motad_uk

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
    • MOTAD EXHAUSTS
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2014, 07:57:34 AM »
look I can only comment about motard back in the 70s I indeed fitted one to my k2 and had no problem fitted good sounded OK but it was the only alternative available at the time.Do not get offended but then as they were known as moturd as at 150 quid a go frackin cheap then but still a fortune compaired to Honda pipes.Listen I will only say this once double skin them so they do not go blue  and you will have a new client are you listening?#
Cheers
Bitsa

tooling cost for double skinning pipes will be around £25,000 per system- up for doing it (!) and offering it on all systems but not sure how I am going to convince the buyers that we have to spread the extra tooling cost!- just looking for the lottery winner to buy the first set at £25,150 and off we go!!!   (and for those who missed it- I am only joking- we will continue to make systems that last a long time and that because they have been around for ever some people don't like)
Motad uk

Offline motad_uk

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
    • MOTAD EXHAUSTS
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2014, 07:58:48 AM »
Possibly there is an internal problem on the silencer I have then, power seems strangled at high revs, struggles to get to 105, put the standard exhaust back on and it is rapid to 120!

contact me on ianmcdonald@motad.co.uk and we can do some investigation
Motad uk

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2014, 08:01:05 AM »
Ian, I think the attached Honda Service  bulletin serves to prove your point !

And see  my earlier post of the 750K7 system I had !! Amazing that it survived like it did (posted Nov 6th in this thread)

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Cheers ...Ash
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 08:04:19 AM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline motad_uk

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
    • MOTAD EXHAUSTS
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2014, 08:01:17 AM »
I went to your web site some time ago and asked about just a silencer for a CBX550 that already has a Motad but was told not available. has this changed?

discontinued from our range - sales stopped

don't want to start selling and turning the forum into a market- but if we had 7-8 people interested in a stainless version we could make these at a  good price- if you are interested please email me on ianmcdonald@motad.co.uk - no obligation but lets see if others are up for it
Motad uk

Offline motad_uk

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
    • MOTAD EXHAUSTS
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2014, 08:05:49 AM »
Ian, I think the attached Honda Service  bulletin serves to prove your point !

And see  my earlier post of the 750K7 system I had !! Amazing that it survived like it did

(Attachment Link)

Cheers ...Ash

agreed!-  I think if we had offered just 12 months warranty we would not have lasted long. On a similar note however I remember applying the front brake on my 500-4 in the wet and starting the 10 second count still something happened- different times!!!
Motad uk

Offline motad_uk

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
    • MOTAD EXHAUSTS
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2014, 08:19:45 AM »
And I feel I should own up to one dreadful fact !!!!

I no longer own a sohc- I ride a VFR750 FJ

Sorry guys!!- but I owned CB750s and done 150,000 miles on two 500/4s in my defence in the past
Motad uk

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2014, 08:46:14 AM »
Good replys ian, what are your views on making 4-1 pipes yoshi style , i know you say that they restrict power at a certain rev , but the guys who sell them sell loads even from the other side of the pond , so there is a market for that style
pete

Offline motad_uk

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
    • MOTAD EXHAUSTS
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2014, 09:26:21 AM »
Good replys ian, what are your views on making 4-1 pipes yoshi style , i know you say that they restrict power at a certain rev , but the guys who sell them sell loads even from the other side of the pond , so there is a market for that style
pete

as you see- we made these under licence for the Yosh distributor- so I should not be too dismissive!. The basic issue is that with so little volume in this design you have a choice between mega noisy or no power if legal (ish!)  added to this the short secondary measurements tends to stuff the midrange power, this makes it tough as many owners feel the small  "kick" as power comes back from below stock and assume that this is a power gain rather than just recovering from a loss

bottom line is that we are 24 people whose food bill is paid by you guys buying exhausts- and I would prefer that you bought UK produced stuff rather than far eastern imports (even the usa stuff is often Chinese or Mexican produced)

don't want to turn a good forum into a market place- email me on ianmcdonald@motad.co.uk and we can discuss options
Motad uk

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2014, 09:34:09 AM »
pete

as you see- we made these under licence for the Yosh distributor- so I should not be too dismissive!. The basic issue is that with so little volume in this design you have a choice between mega noisy or no power if legal (ish!)  added to this the short secondary measurements tends to stuff the midrange power, this makes it tough as many owners feel the small  "kick" as power comes back from below stock and assume that this is a power gain rather than just recovering from a loss

bottom line is that we are 24 people whose food bill is paid by you guys buying exhausts- and I would prefer that you bought UK produced stuff rather than far eastern imports (even the usa stuff is often Chinese or Mexican produced)

don't want to turn a good forum into a market place- email me on ianmcdonald@motad.co.uk and we can discuss options

I may be speaking out of turn here Ian   but I  am sure SteveD won't mind you advertising your wares on here Ian or can come to some agreement with you (like David at Saisei-Europe  did).

Great to have you contributing here ? Did David Silver point you here when we asked him about the 400/4 system you make for him?

Cheers ..Ash
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline motad_uk

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
    • MOTAD EXHAUSTS
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2014, 09:58:22 AM »
I would prefer to be available as tech support and keep away from selling-

You are right in that David S pointed me to the forum- although I should be shot for missing you guys for so long- first Motad systems were for 500-4 and 750-4 in the early 70s

I think that many of our competitors are on the forums that we are on- but hidden behind obscure user names etc

I think that being on to give open and no commercial advise is good- although of course my views are affected by 35 years of being in this market (and of course the need to give that nice lady in Aldi some money each week!__)
Motad uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal