Author Topic: MOTAD ON FORUM  (Read 15885 times)

Offline motad_uk

• SOHC Associate
  • making exhausts in the uk since 1970
    • View Profile
    • MOTAD EXHAUSTS
MOTAD ON FORUM
« on: November 06, 2014, 02:34:30 PM »
Motad is now on the forum- not of course to sell- but to be available to give tech advice and support on exhaust matters

sorry for taking so long to wake up and join!

Ian McDonald
Motad uk

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: MOTAD ON FORUM
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 02:46:22 PM »
Welcome Ian - nice to have a proper Exhaust company here....would you guys consider doing a Yoshi style 4-1 for the 750??
Similar to these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yoshi-Style-4-into-1-exhaust-system-HONDA-CB750-SOHC-CAFE-RACER-CHOPPER-BRAT-/390964761131?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5b0750d22b&vxp=mtr

« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 02:50:09 PM by Jamesh_sussex »

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 03:08:04 PM »
Welcome Ian. I think Motad must conform to a BSI standard and British rules of some sort James.

Offline motad_uk

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
    • MOTAD EXHAUSTS
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 03:37:48 PM »
Welcome Ian - nice to have a proper Exhaust company here....would you guys consider doing a Yoshi style 4-1 for the 750??
Similar to these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yoshi-Style-4-into-1-exhaust-system-HONDA-CB750-SOHC-CAFE-RACER-CHOPPER-BRAT-/390964761131?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5b0750d22b&vxp=mtr

For our sins- we made the uk Yoshimura for the distributor David Dixon (sadly missed!) in the 80s- they were dreadful !!-  losing mid range power bigtime. Piper made a similar system which was just as bad.

not so pedantic about noise as we were- but would not be happy putting our name to this- just not enough volume to get reasonable power and noise levels
Motad uk

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 03:57:53 PM »
Fair enough. There must be an opportunity though for a decent looking 4-1 system for the 750. everything I've seen to date just looks a bit bland..?

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 04:00:39 PM »
This Forum just gets better and better . Big welcome Ian

AshD
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline motad_uk

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
    • MOTAD EXHAUSTS
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 04:12:10 PM »
Fair enough. There must be an opportunity though for a decent looking 4-1 system for the 750. everything I've seen to date just looks a bit bland..?

up for doing something different- with so many people restoring them to original (and then not riding them as they have spent so much money- I regret selling that mint k2 for £330 all those years ago! )- I am up for suggestions. Only downside is that any "proper" system needs perhaps 40-50 hours of work on development and preparation for manufacture so we need to sell around 20 to cover these costs
Motad uk

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 06:30:10 PM »
Welcome Ian
If you Design something better looking than the standard Motad I'm sure you would easily sell 20 on this forum alone.

Mick
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2014, 07:04:08 PM »
Something better looking than your current generic silencer for the CB750 F1/F2 would be great. Something with removable baffles maybe, so we can make them a little less restrictive, without drilling holes in the end of the current silencers to stop them stangling the top end power:))

Sent from my GT-S5839i using Tapatalk 2

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2014, 07:07:36 PM »

up for doing something different- with so many people restoring them to original (and then not riding them as they have spent so much money- I regret selling that mint k2 for £330 all those years ago! )- I am up for suggestions. Only downside is that any "proper" system needs perhaps 40-50 hours of work on development and preparation for manufacture so we need to sell around 20 to cover these costs

any chance of replica CB500-4 ,HM 323 pipes? I am sure there may be a reasonable market.
hopefully -))))
lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline ka-ja

• ken
  • SOHC Pro
  • yoshi 460
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2014, 07:12:20 PM »
welcome Ian,
                     It is a pity that performance related exhausts seem to be the domain of foreign makers, something with style with variable baffles would go down great guns with us cafe builders, I think they would sell!
nice bike,nothing in the bank

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2014, 07:28:40 PM »
We did ask David Silver via myself about the 400/4 pipe issue and so it's great you are on here to answer any questions. I think we all appreciate that to replicate such a complicated ( but beautiful in my eyes) system down to an affordable price must be a real challenge. Do you ever do headers double-skinned or is that too complicated /expensive?
I had a Motad on my KZ650B1 back in '85 and it worked great and low noise levels. Apart from when my 3 year old son filled the silencer with pebbles  ::). Bought a CB750K7 for 50 quid about 3 years ago that had been left under a tarpaulin outside  for so long that the frame had rotted out so you can imagine how bad the bike was I called it the 'Monster from the Swamp' ..Named  after a  little feature in 'Button Moon' ... don't ask !! . The PO had fitted a brand new Motad to it before abandoning it but this cleaned up so well that I sold it on eBay to a guy in Cyprus for 90GB and he was well chuffed with it, so chroming must have been decent! Is your chroming done in the UK? We are always on the lookout on here for decent chromers either here or abroad.

Cheers .  AshD
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2014, 07:40:26 PM »
Good to have you on the forum. I have have a few motad exhausts fitted to my bikes. I found the after sales support excellent when I bought a second hand incomplete system off ebay. I even have an old neta system in the shed off my cb550. they do last. I think a collector box / down pipes combo that accepted a variety of silencing packages might go down well.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2014, 08:21:16 PM »
Similar to these:

For our sins- we made the uk Yoshimura for the distributor David Dixon (sadly missed!) in the 80s- they were dreadful !!-  losing mid range power bigtime. Piper made a similar system which was just as bad.

not so pedantic about noise as we were- but would not be happy putting our name to this- just not enough volume to get reasonable power and noise levels

Hi Ian and welcome to the forum, the yoshi copy pipes available now from other countries sell well for example carpies (steve carpenter in the USA) yoshi copy so i dont think the power drop in the mid range puts people off, surely the way forward is to build a pipe that people want, sometimes looks and noise win over power gains
pete 

Offline Norniron

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2014, 10:11:06 PM »

If you wanna do something different,how about some nice swoopy headers in polished stainless for the 550F
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 10:13:28 PM by Norniron »
1977 400 cafe
1972 500/4
2013 triumph STR675

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal