Author Topic: No SOHC Four Yet!  (Read 3825 times)

Offline briggsc

• View Profile
No SOHC Four Yet!
« on: January 18, 2015, 05:21:22 PM »
Hello all,

Been looking at your forum for some time now as I`m considering purchasing a 400 / 4 (F2 in Candy Antares preferably), I must say it seems very informative and well set up.

One question I would like to ask before 'taking the plunge' is are there any reputable companies / individuals out there in 'SOHC World' who undertake engine rebuild work should it be necessary?

I've been running Triumph Tridents (T160 & T150V) for the past 12 years and am only to aware of the hours old bikes can 'soak up' keeping them in good order.  I seem to have less time available now than ever, and while I'm happy to perform all servicing / minor repair tasks, splitting crankcases is more than I want to undertake nowadays, hence my question.

I've always admired the 400 / 4, and they seem well catered for regarding spares availability, so hopefully they make a practical proposition as a 'Classic' ride. 

I had a brand new 750 F1 (in yellow, although I really wanted red!) in 1977, it was absolutely reliable and I used it as my sole transport in all weathers, eventually trading it for a Suzuki GS750. 

I'm currently riding a Triumph Thruxton and  still have the T160 which I bought as a 'new / unregistered bike' 12 years ago with 9 miles on the clock where it had been pushed about at shows etc!

Thanks for any replies,

Regards,

Colin

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: No SOHC Four Yet!
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 05:40:08 PM »
Welcome Colin.
I have a 400/4 F2, Candy Antares Red actually (Not for Sale !!!). Haven't had to have engine apart yet but I feel even with my limited knowledge ( and the brilliant help and advice I get from this motley crew  ;D ;D ;D) it is a job that can easily be done by oneself. Good luck in finding yours
Regards
Julie
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 05:49:53 PM »
welcome, there are plenty of 400s out there, buy a decent one and you should have no need for a rebuild, very reliable bikes and lots of spares available from David Silver and others.
Love the 500 and 550 have a 500 called Lazarus under restoration

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 07:54:07 PM »
Hi colin welcome to the group, i dont have a 400/4 , but have always admired the bikes, good luck with your bike hunting
pete

Offline briggsc

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2015, 07:57:15 PM »
Thanks for your replies, (that's a great looking bike Julie!). 

A couple of bikes I've looked at so far had suspiciously high idle speeds, which, when reduced revealed the dreaded cam chain rattle!
I suppose it would be nice to think I can find a well cared for example, but, experience with triples has taught me to plan for the worst case scenario.....perhaps I'm being unduly pessimistic with regard to these bikes.

Anyway, I'll let you know how I get on.  Ride safe all.

Regards,

Colin

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2015, 08:08:35 PM »
I've had my candy antares red F2 since the 80s.  It goes to shows, rideouts,  camping trips and it's even won me a cup for best jap at a VMCC event.  They're pretty much trouble free providing you don't skimp on the oil and filter changes. 
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2015, 08:12:36 PM »
Hi Colin, and welcome. I have no idea what your budget is, but it could be worth calling Dave Silver Spares, he done a project restoring over 50 400/4s, and still has some for sale. They have been thoroughly checked over, and anything slightly iffy has been replaced, so they are probably as good as the day they left the factory in Japan. James May from Top Gear bought one from there and is very happy with it:))
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2015, 08:14:43 PM »
Welcome to the forum. I have a few bike's but, i do love my CB400F1. Good luck with the hunting.

Offline briggsc

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2015, 08:21:37 PM »
That's encouraging to hear Mike. 

I must admit I've always been a bit 'anal' when it comes to oil changes, whatever the manufacturer recommends as the oil change interval I change at half the mileage.  Cheap maintenance compared to an engine rebuild!

Yes, I read the 'James May' article in Classic Bike magazine, I thought all of David Silvers bikes were spoken for.  I suppose a phone call wouldn't hurt, thanks for the info:

Regards,

Colin

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2015, 08:29:00 PM »

I must admit I've always been a bit 'anal' when it comes to oil changes, whatever the manufacturer recommends as the oil change interval I change at half the mileage.  Cheap maintenance compared to an engine rebuild!

Yes, I read the 'James May' article in Classic Bike magazine, I thought all of David Silvers bikes were spoken for.  I suppose a phone call wouldn't hurt, thanks for the info:

Regards,

Colin

I had a customer buy one from Silvers 9k :'(

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2015, 08:41:57 PM »

Regards,

Colin

He just auctioned this at Mecum Florida , last week  ...it went for 4,250 USD

https://www.mecum.com/lot-detail.cfm?lot_id=LV0115-200539

750K2 went for 6,000 USD

https://www.mecum.com/lot-detail.cfm?lot_id=LV0115-200512

and this 350F went for 3,000USD

https://www.mecum.com/lot-detail.cfm?lot_id=LV0115-200506

lovely '68  final production CB77 went for 3,250 USD

https://www.mecum.com/lot-detail.cfm?lot_id=LV0115-200543

Ash

« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 08:48:14 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2015, 08:44:28 PM »

Regards,

Colin

He just auctioned this at Mecum Florida , last week  ...it went for 4,250 USD

https://www.mecum.com/lot-detail.cfm?lot_id=LV0115-200539

750K2 went for 6,000 USD

and this 350F went for 3,000USD

https://www.mecum.com/lot-detail.cfm?lot_id=LV0115-200506

Ash

This is not the states Ash ;)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2015, 08:50:26 PM »
Yes I know Graham but don't you just wish you could get your mitts on em for that price!

They were from a dealer who fell out with Honda and shut up his shop and left everything untouched for years. He refused to sell em to DS but then the dealer died and he managed to persuade the sons to sell them to him.
Ash

WELCOME COLIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 08:55:19 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
Lobo
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2015, 08:47:23 AM »
Hi Colin, and welcome.

I too was a bit pressed for time, and gave my 400F engine to Terry Ives of Stotfold Engineering / Biggleswade. Very happy with it... he did a fantastic job.

http://www.stotfoldengineers.co.uk/stotfold_engineering_blog/category/blog/motorcyles/
(the 400F engine blog is my motor..)

Can I suggest you put your town / city etc in your profile so folk have an idea where you are & can better suggest services to your location.

Cheers,
Simon

(Addendum due Tom's posting.. (Hi Tom!) ... Terry's recon'd / rebuild was / is fantastic... but the clutch basket (unbeknown to all) was a 'disappointing' & confusing source of subsequent noise. Fixed in the end with a set of new cushs... easy)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 10:05:18 AM by Lobo »

Offline tom400f

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2015, 09:27:02 AM »
Here are mine and Lobo's bikes: http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,4353.msg28249.html#msg28249

Ok they are yellow, but that yellow was nicer than the 750F1 shade...  8)

Good luck in the search and welcome.

EDIT: Ah yes not meaning to undermine Simon's ^^^ recommendation by referencing that thread. Just for the pics only. He is a stickler for quality and accuracy so if he's pleased that is high praise indeed.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 12:52:50 PM by tom400f »
1978 CB400F2 Yellow
1995 VFR750FS Red
1997 VFR750FV Lapis Blue
2013 Yamaha FZ8 Grey

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal