Other Stuff > Interchangeability

CB650 comstar interchangeability

<< < (3/4) > >>

matthewmosse:
Interesting, I have a few sets of cb650 comstars, my first 550 has a set 'fitted' when I bought it, I always thought they looked fairly smart on that bike. A spoke conversion for them is certainly that bit different and might well help several difficulties with building a special using mixed bits. Finding soaked cb500 or 550 wheels can be a bit of a chore and add up to a fair cost these days.

Maxcaddy (Nighthawk):

For a long time now I've had it in mind to convert to different rims to have Radial Rubber. I got as far as getting hold of a spoked rear hub off of a CB650C which had its original 17" tyre on, and have been looking for a suitable front with twin discs, and had the idea of maybe an early CB750 one.

Unfortunately without buying a wad of wheels to see what did/did not fit, I've been on-hold. To be honest probably the main reason the CB has been consigned to the back of the shed is that its standard 16" back wheel/tyre is (IMHO) lethal. Consequently to have a matching pair of spoked wheels wearing modern rubber is exactly what I'm after, and whilst I could have at any time re-rimmed the rear hub, it now seems I can have a front made up which will fit straight in.

Hence my question as to whether or not all reversed comstar fronts had the same hub, as at this stage I don't want to buy an old wheel have Cafe Racer Kits convert it and re-rim/spoke, to find it then won't align up with the discs etc.

Bryanj:
If you check bearing numbers it will tell you if spindle diameter is same and to the best of my knowledge all honda wheels that we are talking about have the rims central to the hub

Maxcaddy (Nighthawk):

Ta for that, but It would mean that I would need the other wheel first, before I could confirm bearings.

The criteria which could vary is the width between the disc mountings. The 650SCC has very deep dished discs compared to the 650Z, and the forks are set wider apart. I can certainly remember that the Telefix (?) brace which I bought for it, said it only fitted the 650SCC and the CB1100R. Hence my concern that there are similar looking, but different hubs out there.

I guess the only easy answer is to get a wheel that's guaranteed to have come off a SCC, that way it'll be right even if I have to pay a premium to get one.

Bryanj:
Look up the parts lists on cmsnl and that will give you bearing numbers

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version