Author Topic: rear guard  (Read 5132 times)

Offline shifter

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
rear guard
« on: August 25, 2015, 02:37:07 PM »
Hi, Can someone tell me if a cb 750/4, 400/4  rear chrome mudguard will fit a cb550f1,
" RIDDEN NOT HIDDEN"

Moto morini 250 2c
Cb200
S90

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Re: rear guard
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 03:02:24 PM »
A CB750 rear guard is different to a CB400  ;) The CB750K will fit a CB550 but is different. Posted a picture of the two guards a couple of weeks ago. Happy hunting past posts :)

Offline shifter

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 03:22:02 PM »
Thanks trigger, just wondered if there was much needed rectifying to fit a 750 one , also if in keeping with the bike,
" RIDDEN NOT HIDDEN"

Moto morini 250 2c
Cb200
S90

Offline shifter

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 03:25:02 PM »
Sorry to be a pain trigg ,just found your previous posting on the subject. , cheers
" RIDDEN NOT HIDDEN"

Moto morini 250 2c
Cb200
S90

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 03:27:19 PM »
Are you trying to fit a CB750 to a CB550 or vice versa. Is it a 3 point tail light or 4 point ?

Offline shifter

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 03:30:45 PM »
Yes it's a 4point fixing at the moment on my 550.f1  Just wondering  if 750 will fit
" RIDDEN NOT HIDDEN"

Moto morini 250 2c
Cb200
S90

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 03:37:43 PM »
Will fit but, the wire channel is different and the 4 point tail light bracket will fit. There is a few different CB750K ones, from K0 to K6.

Offline shifter

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 03:41:37 PM »
Thanks for the info, your reply' very helpful , glad I join the forum    ......
" RIDDEN NOT HIDDEN"

Moto morini 250 2c
Cb200
S90

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2015, 03:50:24 PM »
That's what we are here for  ;) Keep your eye out for a CB500 Four guard

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2015, 04:58:56 PM »
Is it a UK bike or USA import? If its UK and anything like the 750 UK you will find that almost all UK ones are rusted out. I recently paid over 250 quid for a NOS UK one for the 750.
The 4-hole USA one is similar but the holes are in a different position so the UK rear lamp sits at an angle. Avoid the repro ones from Vietnam, they don't look very good to me and still pricey.

Try DK if you want a USA version you can sometimes hit lucky with them and make a silly offer..

Notice you have an S90 ... nice little bike that.

Cheers Ash
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 05:01:53 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2015, 07:38:27 PM »
I have one off a 550 but it has a small dent in the edge of it, chrome is otherwise excellent. I was thinking I may knock the dent out and have it re-chromed.

I also have a NOS one but can't remember offhand if it's a 3 or 4 hole version. Either way I also have a chrome 3 hole number plate bracket as well.

Get in there shifter ... even at 70 quid a rechrome those things are rare.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2015, 08:56:31 PM »
As a unlikely to appeal to most option, if you keep your eyes peeled there are fiberglass pattern items floating around which to my mind look ok painted either to match the sidepannels and tank or black. I prefer these as they do not rot and are often more reasonably priced. My 500/4 has one these days. Before that it had a 400/4 rear mudguard though it was rusty and overpainted black, I cannot remember if the holes were all perfectly alighned for the rear light but again for a daily commuter bike it looked ok in my books. It took me years to realise it wasnt right, but I was rather more interested in covering milage than how the bike left the factory.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2015, 10:03:24 PM »
I have a rear guard off of my '77 550f2 - the chrome is pitted but no major rust or dents, would still need re-chroming to be a nice example..  Let me know if of any interest.

Offline shifter

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2015, 01:19:58 AM »
Thanks guys for your replies, sorry I haven't replied sooner, as just got in after helping my son with his zx10 track bike late night again 😴, the guard I have isn't too bad (just being picky) chrome very good ,as the are a couple of rivet indentations in the chrome work , so unless I can pick one up very cheap (OAP£££ ) I might ? Stick with it , or perhaps get them filled then rechromed @ a later date as I have only recently bought the bike ,want get a few miles in, Thanks again chaps , forum 👍
" RIDDEN NOT HIDDEN"

Moto morini 250 2c
Cb200
S90

Offline shifter

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2015, 01:25:11 AM »
Is it a UK bike or USA import? If its UK and anything like the 750 UK you will find that almost all UK ones are rusted out. I recently paid over 250 quid for a NOS UK one for the 750.
The 4-hole USA one is similar but the holes are in a different position so the UK rear lamp sits at an angle. Avoid the repro ones from Vietnam, they don't look very good to me and still pricey.

Try DK if you want a USA version you can sometimes hit lucky with them and make a silly offer..

Notice you have an S90 ... nice little bike that.

Cheers Ash.   
Thanks guys for your replies, sorry I haven't replied sooner, as just got in after helping my son with his zx10 track bike late night again 😴, the guard I have isn't too bad (just being picky) chrome very good ,as the are a couple of rivet indentations in the chrome work , so unless I can pick one up very cheap (OAP£££ ) I might ? Stick with it , or perhaps get them filled then rechromed @ a later date as I have only recently bought the bike ,want get a few miles in, Thanks again chaps , forum 👍
.     Yes Ash, I like my little S90 sohc
" RIDDEN NOT HIDDEN"

Moto morini 250 2c
Cb200
S90

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal