Author Topic: Front brake  (Read 5427 times)

Offline wolfheze

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Front brake
« on: September 27, 2015, 06:59:00 PM »
After getting off my street triple and straight on the 550 it really brought it home how poor the front brake is on the Honda. Are they meant to be this bad? Or could mine be not as effective as it should be? I would say the rear brake has almost as much stopping power and that it would probably be impossible to lock the front on anything but a wet greasy surface. Am sure the front disc on my rd250 was much better back in the day,admittedly the yamaha was a good bit lighter. As far as I know the pads are quite new and the travel at the lever feels fine.

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Front brake
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2015, 07:39:46 PM »
It sounds normal to me. Best thing to do is sell or crush your modern bike(s) and stick with the SOHC and ride within it's limits, and I have NEVER understood why anyone would WANT to lock the front brake whilst riding it!

Sent from my D2303 using Tapatalk

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline wolfheze

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2015, 07:55:17 PM »
Might be an age thing but I did prefer riding the Honda today so maybe your right about getting rid of my modem stuff. Of course I don't want to lock the front I was just using it as a way of describing the stopping power of the brake! Also had the speedo glass mist over again.

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2015, 08:38:20 PM »
It's not an age thing, it's expecting 40+ year old designs to perform like modern stuff, believe me it wont! My 1958 landrover has drums all round and no servo, terrifies my good lady when she occasionly drives ir after her 2012 fully power everything and discs and servo/abs etc, her face is a picture when she stands on my brake pedal!

Sent from my D2303 using Tapatalk

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline Norniron

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2015, 08:46:28 PM »
Why dont you stick on another disc and uprate the MC.it certainly improved mine!
1977 400 cafe
1972 500/4
2013 triumph STR675

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2015, 09:01:26 PM »
I have twin discs,

the feel is great,but it will not do "stoppies!!"

the pads are ok,but feel quite "hard",

does anyone one know a grippy pad?

something softer,we don't want to wear the disc,and as we tend to do small mileage,a high wear rate is ok,

any ideas ?

I am using DSS cheepo pads
lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline Norniron

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2015, 09:09:03 PM »
I have twin discs,

the feel is great,but it will not do "stoppies!!"

the pads are ok,but feel quite "hard",

does anyone one know a grippy pad?

something softer,we don't want to wear the disc,and as we tend to do small mileage,a high wear rate is ok,

any ideas ?

I am using DSS cheepo pads

Yea John it wont do stoppies and i wouldnt want to on a 40yr old headstock.
Im using EBC pads and i find them great and quite grippy
1977 400 cafe
1972 500/4
2013 triumph STR675

Offline wolfheze

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2015, 09:15:03 PM »
Did consider another disc but from what I've read it sounds a bit tricky finding the correct parts? I'm not under any illusions concerning the performance of a 40 year old bike and ride quite sedately but you can't allow for someone pulling out of a junction unless you ride every where at walking speed.

Offline Norniron

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2015, 09:21:03 PM »
Did consider another disc but from what I've read it sounds a bit tricky finding the correct parts? I'm not under any illusions concerning the performance of a 40 year old bike and ride quite sedately but you can't allow for someone pulling out of a junction unless you ride every where at walking speed.
U need to find a disc and caliper.i used a goldwing MC from Dave Silvers £40.it looks the same only a little taller.Braided hoses will also help
1977 400 cafe
1972 500/4
2013 triumph STR675

Offline Norniron

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2015, 09:23:04 PM »
After getting off my street triple and straight on the 550 it really brought it home how poor the front brake is on the Honda. Are they meant to be this bad? Or could mine be not as effective as it should be? I would say the rear brake has almost as much stopping power and that it would probably be impossible to lock the front on anything but a wet greasy surface. Am sure the front disc on my rd250 was much better back in the day,admittedly the yamaha was a good bit lighter. As far as I know the pads are quite new and the travel at the lever feels fine.
I do understand this cos i also have a street triple and the brakes are awesome
1977 400 cafe
1972 500/4
2013 triumph STR675

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2015, 09:59:58 PM »
They do get better if a bit warm, especially if raining. I have managed to lock the front wheel using a single front disk and standard master cylinder with the addition of a braided stainless hose. Add that the bike is fitted with a sidecar so plenty of weight on that front end.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2015, 08:21:31 AM »
I would agree about the braided hose, it makes a big difference.  I don't think this problem is about the age of the bike, it is about design, I have ridden plenty of older bikes which stop better. 

However, in the bikes defence, I think it has a lot to do with feel as well.  For me, it was worth conducting a test just to see what the stopping distance was.  On a very quiet road near my house there is a straight bit which is about a mile long.  About half way along I placed a stick in the verge, turned round, went back up the road before setting off again.  I accelerated up to 60mph and rode to the stick marker, whereupon, making sure no one around, I slammed on the brakes as hard as I could and came to a stop.  I have to say the result was much better than I had thought possible.  Although it feels like the brakes aren't doing much the stopping distance is quiet respectable.

As with all equipment on the bike, make sure it is well maintained.  Make sure the caliper is in good order, strip and clean, replace seals, bleed correctly, fit new pads (the ones from Dave Silver are the best I've had), adjust correctly, use a braided hose etc...etc...

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2015, 10:59:55 AM »
I would think the brakes compare as about the same as my ntv 650 to be honest, and the ntv is probably a fair bit faster.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline wolfheze

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2015, 01:34:39 PM »
Might look at gathering the bits and pieces for a twin disc set up. Previous owner obviously thought  the same about the brake perfomance  as the ******* advertised some parts for a twin disc conversion  on here a week after I had bought it rather than throw them in with the bike. Think they turned out to be wrong anyway!

Offline totty

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2015, 02:56:18 PM »
It might be worth checking a few basics before modifying.

Is the pivot seized
Do the hoses bulge
Are the pads seized in the caliper
Are the pads contaminated
Are the pads bedded in

I've had the pivot seize twice and it makes a noticeable difference, it's worth cleaning it every service.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal