Author Topic: Carb bowl - cracked overflow tube  (Read 1575 times)

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Carb bowl - cracked overflow tube
« on: October 20, 2015, 10:42:28 AM »
Have been doing a few sets of carbs recently and seem to be coming across more and more cracked float bowl overflow tubes.

Often overlooked and symptoms suggest the float height is wrong / float valve is leaking when actually these can both be spot on and the carb leak is due to fuel just flowing through the crack in the tube.

All of my bike are us imports - just wondering if the dreaded ethanol has anything to do with this?

Anyway, my normal fix is to use two-part clear epoxy to repair the crack and then run a fine drill down the tube once the epoxy is set to confirm the path is clear.

Anyone use a different approach to fix?

« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 10:44:01 AM by Jamesh_sussex »

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Carb bowl - cracked overflow tube
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 10:47:55 AM »
I haven't had to deal with this myself, but have heard of people sleeving it with a thin piece of metal tubing and soldering that in place, or have read someone suggesting heat shrink, but would think that'd be eaten away by the fuel.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 05:23:30 PM »
For the really bad ones drill them out and replace with threaded brass tube, I think it happens more when the tube gets water in it and then freezes

Offline Norniron

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 08:20:44 PM »
For the really bad ones drill them out and replace with threaded brass tube, I think it happens more when the tube gets water in it and then freezes
That sounds the most plausible Bryan.
Wee bit of plumbers flux and solder it up.make sure you clean off the excess flux
1977 400 cafe
1972 500/4
2013 triumph STR675

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal