Author Topic: I love the smell of NOS in the morning..........  (Read 6056 times)

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
    • View Profile
I love the smell of NOS in the morning..........
« on: November 04, 2015, 12:30:26 PM »
You may recall I bought a restored CB750 K1, which although looking very fresh and new is not very shiny - the engine cases and fork lowers that should be polished, have had the same aqua jet (or vapour blasting, IDK) treatment as the engine - it all looks new but doesn't shine.

The fork lowers I will remove and polish during the winter, and the cam cover can just stay there for now, I'm not taking the motor out just to polish or replace it, until I really have to.

However, I was excited this morning to get a box delivered, which contained 3 NOS parts - the alternator cover, gearcase cover ('crankcase mission cover') and clutch outer housing. The gearcase cover alone is £405 at David Silver, the clutch cover £114, and the alternator one is out of stock - so £200 for the lot on Fleabay is a definite result!  :)

The gearcase cover has a couple of small marks, which were mentioned in the eBay ad, fair play,  I'm torn between leaving the lovely 'new' slightly brushed finish alone or trying to sympathetically polish them out.

I have ordered new kickstart and gearshaft seals, I'll post 'after' pics once the cases are fitted, I'm sure there will be a definite improvement, The removed bits will be for sale once they are off, vgc, but not shiny enough for a 'as new' restoration.

I'm still after the polished cover over the drive sprocket 11351-300-050, btw.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 12:36:29 PM by MrDavo »
1969 Honda CL450 'Scrambler'
1974 Kawasaki Z1A
2005 Harley XL1200R Sportster
1985 Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera Sport
1978 VW Bay Window camper van

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: I love the smell of NOS in the morning..........
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 12:51:22 PM »
Great score there mate well done. Any chance you could take a couple of close up shots on each cover to show the linished / lacquered finish.? I know a lot of the guys on here would be keen to see...

Offline MarkCR750

• Professional half wit and member
  • SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 01:33:22 PM »
I thought you'd fitted a nitrous oxide kit for a moment there James!, great price on those parts.
Suzuki GT250A (Nostalgia)
1977 K7 CR750 (lookalike, what of I’m not sure)
Ducati 900SS (Soul & Speed)
Ducati M900 Monster (Handling & character)
Thruxton 1200 (suits me)
James Captain 197 (pure adrenaline, i.e. no brakes!)
"Eff yir gitten awvestear yir gooin te farst"
Sir J.Stewart.

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 02:02:07 PM »
You could have polished the originals for free. Wouldn't have taken very long from a vapour blasted finish. And now your faced with polishing them anyway. That said you got them for a great price, why not move them along and make a nice profit and polish the others.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 02:03:50 PM by royhall »
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015, 02:46:02 PM »
Thing is Roy trying to get that NOS linished / laquered finish is very very difficult as I'm sure you know. Brightly polished isn't everyone's cup of tea I guess.

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2015, 02:47:56 PM »
Meh, I'd rather use the NOS stuff and sell on my existing cases, polished or not. The more original a finish I can get the better for me as I want the bike to ultimately be 'as new' as possible.

As far as photos of the finish go, I had a go, but its not clear. To describe it, the gearbox cover the brushed effect is all horizontal, they didn't bother at all underneath. On the alternator cover, the circular part with the 'Honda' on it has vertical brushing, other than that its all circular, but not at all underneath, or around where the screw lugs are.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 02:58:28 PM by MrDavo »
1974 Kawasaki Z1A

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2015, 03:29:35 PM »
That's the finish you get with fine grade "Scotchbrite" wheels and a coat of clear lacquer. Just leave it with the rough cut without using the polishing mops. Comes out well, just like original. And takes no time at all. I know what you mean about the bright polish though James, not my thing either. Belongs on old Triumphs etc.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 03:31:11 PM by royhall »
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline MCTID

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2015, 08:57:38 PM »
It looks great to me......
Now: 2008 CB1300S, CB750K4, 1970 Bonneville. Various other 1960's 650 Triumph T120's/ TR6's/ TR6C's (all in bits...many, many bits unfortunately). Previous: 2007 CB600FA, 1976 CB500 Four. BMW F800ST. GS750E. ZZR1100. CB1300 (2). ZXR1200S. VFR800. CB750 Nighthawk. CX500. XS500 Yam. Suzuki GT500. BSA A10. Various Lambrettas. Zundapp Bella (honest).

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2015, 04:27:18 PM »
To explain an earlier comment to James about the linished brushed effect on the alternator cover, the section within the circle on the side is brushed vertically when on the bike, the rest has been done radially, but only as far back as the start of the screw lugs. Between a line around the top of the screw lugs to the casting edge is just raw unpolished. If you look hard at a couple of my photos you can see this.

Roy, I appreciate that I could have got a similar result myself, but I dont have original parts to copy, and if I can sell my vapour blasted parts for similar money 'blasted ready to polish, paint or use as they are' then I have acheived a NOS finish for little outlay and no effort - suits me as I have enough to do already, including polishing the forks and rear brake plate.

More NOS came today, this time lots of little bags from David Silver....

As I've said before, every  part made of rubber has aged badly, last week I replaced the fuel cap seal, which practically fell apart. Amongst other bits in there is a battery strap, gaskets for the indicators and a front brake master cylinder service kit, as there's a rubber seal that could kill me if it failed.

Also a set of new tappet covers, and genuine bolts for a variety of places - when it was restored a lot of the lovely OEM, but probably tarnished, bolts have been replaced by generic plated metric bolts with all sots of mumbo jumbo on the heads. The new OEM ones are all polished or '8' bolts. Someone will say that it doesn't matter, but hey, it's my OCD. I'd prefer to have CDO - the same complaint but at least the letters are in alphabetical order.

Also in todays post was a proper clutch centre tool, which has to be better than a hammer and screwdriver.....  8)   
1974 Kawasaki Z1A

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2015, 12:31:33 PM »
Woo Hoo!

I was just popping back to the house from the garage (Ive fitted the valve caps so far, lots more to go) when I spotted the postie on our driveway. A quick check of the letterbox, as I have been doing every day, and theres a letter from the DVLA, this time not returning all my documents again, but containing a logbook!  ;  :D

Candy is now a 'J' reg, I'm now searching online for someone who will make her a nice black and silver numberplate. Oh, and swapping the insurance from my crocked Sportster.
1974 Kawasaki Z1A

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2015, 01:11:47 PM »
Well done mate. Good result. I get my pressed plates from these guys and quality is excellent.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/261930914489

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2015, 02:20:15 PM »
I used this place for my pressed reflective plates; they also do black and silver ones:
http://www.chestnut-registrations.co.uk/vintagebikeplates.aspx

I also saw a couple of mentions that say the use of black and white plates is now linked to the Historic Vehicle class,
so currently 1st January 1975. At least one of these said the DVLA site and MoT rules hadn't yet been updated to reflect
this, and I can see nothing on the DVLA site. Has anyone else seen or heard about this?

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2015, 02:40:07 PM »
This may help, but I will not pass a MOT on a bike that has a black/silver plate if the bike is 1975 onwards >>http://www.tippersvintageplates.co.uk/phdi/p1.nsf/supppages/tippers?opendocument&part=9  VOSA state that a bike/car can display a black/silver plate up to January 1975. Not sure if this will roll over next year.

New rule book usually come out in March/April ;D ;D
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 02:57:25 PM by Trigger »

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2015, 04:01:07 PM »
I'm pretty sure black and white plates are still only allowed for 1972 and earlier.  In any case, it looks wrong having black and white on these machines, they had yellow from new.  Reflective white and yellow plates were available from about 1967 before they became compulsory in 1973 and people were very keen to adopt the new style as it looked modern.  My Land Rover is 1969 and it has it's original yellow plate on the back even though it's a G reg and perfectly entitled to have black and white plates.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal