Author Topic: Side panel Lower mounting grommet  (Read 3236 times)

Offline Woodside

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Side panel Lower mounting grommet
« on: November 18, 2015, 08:36:42 PM »
Side panel Lower mounting grommet
Five frigging quid from Ds......plus postage
I buy boxes of 100 grommets for less than that for work......allbeit they would be absolutely useless for this application?
Is this what I have to pay or does anyone know of another option...I know a tenner won't break the bank but seriously sometimes it stings abit

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
Re: Side panel Lower mounting grommet
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 07:17:18 AM »
Think you may be stuck with it if you want the correct items.

Have just about finished two Honda restorations now, and the parts that were the most ridiculous prices were all the rubber parts.

The silliest were new carb isolators for the 750F2 from the States, they ended up at just short of £140. And they are just sitting in a box unused because they didn't fit correctly and they were made from the wrong rubber (Ash had them tested). And at that price they didn't even come with clips.

Major rip off (and you cant even say rip off Britain as they came from the States).
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline Bodd

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 11:11:45 AM »
DS should be wearing a mask and stripy tee-shirt, £2.70 for one copper washer + £2.95p+p when you can get a pack of 20 identical washers for £2.95 with free postage from ebay .
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

The guy at 400 four bits has a couple of pairs of lower side panel rubbers in the miscellaneous section.

Offline Clem2112

• Midlife
  • SOHC Expert
  • CB400F1 1976 R1200GS 2016 Matchless G80 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 11:54:10 AM »
I wouldn't use ebay copper washers on a rebuild personally...

The genuine copper washers are the correct thickness, annealed to have the correct properties etc.
After being installed they could have hardened slightly?
Old ones can be cleaned and re-annealed it is said.

Offline Bodd

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 12:05:39 PM »
When I stripped it the bike had steel washers so re-annealing wasn't an option, the copper ones from ebay are exactly the same as the ones from DS, same size, same thickness and advertised as sealing washers, the bike is fine and the torque on the bolts is still perfect, £2.95 from ebay or £34.00 from DS, no brainer, sometimes I think people restoring bikes are over cautious and I bet if you test a DS washer to the ebay washer you wouldn't find any difference.

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2015, 03:17:56 PM »
Copper Washers should be annealed before use whatever because they age harden. As they don't have an age stamp who knows how old they are. We use hundreds at work and every single one gets annealed before use.

My mate bought a set of copper washers off eBay only to find they were copper plated steel. He chucked them in the bin and used the box for something else.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 05:09:35 PM »
Five frigging quid from Ds......plus postage
+ VAT as well, on the parts and the postage.
How about these? Works out at about £10.40 for two including delivery, should be below the value to incur customs costs:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-Custom-Honda-Side-Cover-Rubber-Grommet-17245-369-000-Replacement-CL-CB-360-/191737348813?hash=item2ca46fc2cd

Offline Bodd

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2015, 05:50:23 PM »
Copper Washers should be annealed before use whatever because they age harden. As they don't have an age stamp who knows how old they are. We use hundreds at work and every single one gets annealed before use.

My mate bought a set of copper washers off eBay only to find they were copper plated steel. He chucked them in the bin and used the box for something else.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

They are copper and they are sound, I'm not new to this and wouldn't compromise the engine, who says DS's are the exact spec as they were in 1976 when my bike was built ?

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2015, 06:58:04 PM »
Sorry Bodd should have said.

All the copper washers I use at work and on the bikes (hundreds in all) have come off eBay due to price.

Unless its a special, a copper washer is a copper washer. DSS's are in a bag with a number that's the only difference.

They still should be annealed though, but most don't bother with no problems at all. The ones I use at work are on hydraulics at high pressure that's why we anneal them.

Wouldn't have thought your bike was compromised in any way at all to be honest
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline Gixxer-18

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2016, 10:43:00 PM »
The Guy on EBay selling these rubber grommets has included the 3D printer files on his eBay site to download for free! Includes the material selection for the filler wires to make them malleable.
This has got me thinking, what's to stop us from making our own on a 3D printer? I could draw the dimensions from any rubber object, it's really not difficult, as long as it's in reasonable condition and mostly there, then a prototype can be printed, and from that a mould can be made.. Grommets, air filter joints, all the N L A parts needed for a restoration!
Just a thought.
Nigel.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2016, 01:06:49 AM »
CB750 Genuine cylinder head flanged nuts 600% more (allowing for import duty and VAT) from a 'well known' UK Honda Genuine parts supplier than from  Yamiya in Japan ! Voltage regulator 166% more, 6205 grooved bearing ...230 % more.
NEED to find a Japanese supplier of genuine CB500/4  & CB250/350K parts !

Good thought Nigel (Gixxer) ... just what this forum is all about IMHO
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Gixxer-18

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2016, 03:12:59 AM »
Interesting about the price hike on components Ash, I was looking at my 350/4 Oil pump today and thinking of replacing the 40 yr old O rings in it.  A certain UK supplier wanted £28.13 inc VAT for eight Rings. I luckily own a Scuba diving business, and we use lots of O rings, Buna N NBR 70 shore hardness, ideal for this job, so I put the numbers and dimensions into the computer. The chart shows each O ring and its Honda number, and dimensions as best I can tell from the flattened black "Washers" in my pump.  The Three digit numbers are the BS Equivalent nearest these dimensions, and I will check tomorrow at the Dive Centre for stock. If I can get them I will make up some packs, I think they also fit the 400/4, and I will also do some for 500/4's though they have different diameter large o rings, the 15mm are the same.
I hope to have more info tomorrow.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2016, 08:59:09 AM »
I got hold of the rare & unobtainium large seals of the CB750 oil pump when I worked at my previous place in Viton (Shore A approx 75) . They found them no problem and cheap. They used a company called Fairway seals . I also got the 15mm OD ones used on the oil hoses/pump  really cheap from there. Items 23 & 24 below. 

http://www.fairwayseals.co.uk/

Oil seal 22 was from DS ..it's a Goldwing part with a different number. BTW pic etc. below is from the 4/69 Sandcast manual ...later manuals never gave the individual parts like that.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 09:08:31 AM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2016, 05:53:13 PM »
I get all my seals and o-rings from this place   http://maydayseals.co.uk/   They run a very good service and fast delivery. Not found an o-ring on any of the bikes that they didn't have so far.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal