Author Topic: They have to be kidding or am I out of touch  (Read 3766 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: They have to be kidding or am I out of touch
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 02:01:54 PM »
right, time to break mine up for spares.

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 02:41:25 PM »
No Ash they are kidding, you would have to do it up to scrap it. Chancers again. And if somebody is dumb enough to buy it who can blame them.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 02:45:20 PM »
They are way beyond restoration, i would say that all the internals are probably rusted away, the guy is just chancing his luck
pete

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 04:33:54 PM »
just sold a set on ebay much MUCH better than them fetched £404
Love the 500 and 550 have a 500 called Lazarus under restoration

Offline ST1100

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 06:30:22 PM »
Darn, their in same rotten condition as the 40 year old pipes on my '76... couching sooth and rust out of just every opening...
STOC #637
'00 ST1100Y, '04 ST1100R, '07 NT700VA, CB500K2, CB500K1...

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2016, 09:46:27 PM »
And I thought the price of scrap was at an all time low.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2016, 05:20:01 PM »
all have scratches and marks and two of them have holes that have to be closed and ricromati

I'm sorry but for over a grand I'd want new OEM ones, not scrap ones.
1969 Honda CL450 'Scrambler'
1974 Kawasaki Z1A
2005 Harley XL1200R Sportster
1985 Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera Sport
1978 VW Bay Window camper van

Offline LesH

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2016, 04:25:58 PM »
Is it beyond the wit of man......... or anybody out else there, to realise there's a niche waiting to be filled with a  refurbishing  service for all of us four pipers wanting to retain originality.  I'm on my second set which are rusting out slowly in all the usual places but serviceable.
The downpipes are normally fine and show nothing more than maybe a light surface rusting (which will often polish out) so how about a bespoke manufacturer producing just the silencer section with an extended portion to clamp on to the remaining downpipe section !!  >:(
1975 CB500/4 K2
1963 C200

Offline Seabeowner

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2016, 12:55:25 PM »
I have a set of these in the garage with only one tiny crack to the outside world showing and a couple with loose baffles and can't make up my mind whether to leave them, or sell now and put the cash towards some aftermarket ones when they eventually reappear. I,m sure a few out there are thinking the same.
Phil
1971  CB500K0  Candy Jade Green or Candy Gold
1973  CB500K1  Candy Ruby Red
1975  CB550F1   Shiny Orange
1978  CB550K     Excel Black

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2016, 01:26:09 PM »
I have a set of these in the garage with only one tiny crack to the outside world showing and a couple with loose baffles and can't make up my mind whether to leave them, or sell now and put the cash towards some aftermarket ones when they eventually reappear. I,m sure a few out there are thinking the same.

Silvers now showing them in their listings but 'temporarily out of stock'. They do  have 'seconds' ...some with the drain holes in the top and dodgy chroming/welding! I phoned about them but they advised me to wait till the proper ones come in. They were a tad expensive for seconds too IMHO.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 01:27:52 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Seabeowner

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2016, 09:12:21 PM »
Looks like David Silver may have had a complete set as seconds and they sold for £684, but only now has nos 1 & 3 left (as seconds).
These are "significantly reduced" so I suppose a full set for under £1k, we have to be grateful.
Anyone have experience of previous aftermarket exhausts?
Phil
1971  CB500K0  Candy Jade Green or Candy Gold
1973  CB500K1  Candy Ruby Red
1975  CB550F1   Shiny Orange
1978  CB550K     Excel Black

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2016, 09:41:09 PM »
Looks like David Silver may have had a complete set as seconds and they sold for £684, but only now has nos 1 & 3 left (as seconds).
These are "significantly reduced" so I suppose a full set for under £1k, we have to be grateful.
Anyone have experience of previous aftermarket exhausts?

These in link below are the ones they (and me) are waiting to get in stock. £834 INC VAT and you will  be able to swap return if they turn up not up to scratch as these are the full spec ones. May even hightail it down there and pick them up when they have significant stock in. Posted this before but I returned a front guard once and they went through 14 to find a perfect one (Gen Honda) . Picked faulty one up and redelivered FOC

https://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/CB500K0-FOUR-1971-USA/part_273945/

Offline MCTID

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2016, 10:22:25 AM »
I bought a set of unstamped HM300's for my CB750 K4 from MachIV in USA....which cost an arm and a leg with Duty, VAT and P&P.......but they are excellent.
Don't know if they are Yamiya or what but very pleased with them......not fitted them to my bike as yet so that's an unknown at present.....but other parts I have bought from MachIV have been exactly as described and their service is also excellent.....so I can recommend them.

I also bought a set of unstamped HM341's from DS....marked as 'Seconds', and again, I haven't fitted these but they are also excellent for the money.....I think these were originally from CMSNL which is again, a reputable Dealer.

It's really a 'Catch 22' - do you wait and see if a Company starts to make a production run in the future at an 'affordable' price, or buy what comes up when you see something advertised now and take your chances.

The DS 'Seconds' are a good bet if you just want to remove your original HM's and keep them in the loft.......depends how you view originality and how long you plan on keeping your bike(s) for.
Now: 2008 CB1300S, CB750K4, 1970 Bonneville. Various other 1960's 650 Triumph T120's/ TR6's/ TR6C's (all in bits...many, many bits unfortunately). Previous: 2007 CB600FA, 1976 CB500 Four. BMW F800ST. GS750E. ZZR1100. CB1300 (2). ZXR1200S. VFR800. CB750 Nighthawk. CX500. XS500 Yam. Suzuki GT500. BSA A10. Various Lambrettas. Zundapp Bella (honest).

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2016, 10:50:35 AM »
I bought a set of unstamped HM300's for my CB750 K4 from MachIV in USA....which cost an arm and a leg with Duty, VAT and P&P.......but they are excellent.
Don't know if they are Yamiya or what but very pleased with them......not fitted them to my bike as yet so that's an unknown at present.....but other parts I have bought from MachIV have been exactly as described and their service is also excellent.....so I can recommend them.

I also bought a set of unstamped HM341's from DS....marked as 'Seconds', and again, I haven't fitted these but they are also excellent for the money.....I think these were originally from CMSNL which is again, a reputable Dealer.

It's really a 'Catch 22' - do you wait and see if a Company starts to make a production run in the future at an 'affordable' price, or buy what comes up when you see something advertised now and take your chances.The DS 'Seconds' are a good bet if you just want to remove your original HM's and keep them in the loft.......depends how you view originality and how long you plan on keeping your bike(s) for.

Had a bad experience with MachIV.. You are OK with the pipes they sell ..they are in fact Yamiya. However you have to be mega careful as everyone assumes their Japanese stuff is Yamiya . Take it from me it isn't, as I know to my cost! Their returns policy/after sales is sh*te. With DS their after sales is great, which is why I continue to use them. DS probably not selling full spec HM323 replicas yet because he's not happy with the quality from the supplier. The ones from CMS are evidently from the same source, so draw your own conclusions from that.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 10:52:41 AM by AshimotoK0 »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal