Author Topic: goldwing project  (Read 8577 times)

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
goldwing project
« on: January 28, 2016, 05:37:38 PM »
Despite not wanting another project after selling my 500 four I ended up buying a pair of goldwings and extra spares as a job lot. One is complete but tatty, the other is in many pieces. not sure what the plan is, but first I am trying to get the blue one going to assess what I have then decide if to sell one to fund the other. Any other Goldwing owners on here? They do only have one cam per side! I have started by removing the carbs to clean them, don't look too bad in the one I have opened.
Love the 500 and 550 have a 500 called Lazarus under restoration

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
Re: goldwing project
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 06:12:41 PM »
Thats true, it is indeed a SOHC four. ;D
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 07:58:39 PM »
Hi Mick,
Another Wing man here.  I've had 6 of them (so far).not to everyone's taste I know and I've had the usual comments of 'Why don't you just buy a bloody car?'
I still have a very early GL 1000 and an anniversary GL 1500
Lots of stuff still available for your GL and they are starting to be worth good money as are most 70's bikes.  I've often pondered the fact that they have one cam per bank and four pots (except the 15's and 18's anyway) but have never wanted to rock the boat on this forum. Carbs can be a real pain to get right with all the small passages.  Worth looking at Randakk's site, he's the US guru and has a video available for carb build and can supply awkward stuff.
Also have a peek at Steve Saunders site, lots of good info there.

Keep us all informed of progress.
Ian

www.randakks.com

www.goldwingfacts.com
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 08:06:57 PM by orcadian »

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 10:31:22 PM »
thanks Ian I always wanted a wing back in the day, I prefer the look of the early ones best. one of the things I got with the bikes was a carb rebuild kit from randakks complete with dvd, a very comprehensive kit.Is there a uk forum for them?

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 12:11:23 PM »
Hi Mick
I haven't come across a specific UK Wing forum - but that doesn't mean there isn't one.  The Steve Saunders one is my favourite and there are stacks of UK members on there.  Glad you have the Randakk's DVD and kit, that will help a great deal.  If any head gasket work is needed, they don't seem to like spurious ones, only oem seems to do the job.
The Wing is a very capable bike and I have done over 100,000 miles on them.  I would not hesitate to set out on a 1000 mile trip on my 1500 - except today perhaps, we have storm force winds here in Orkney and all ferries cancelled :(
Ian

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 08:44:23 AM »
very slow progress on the bike, the carbs are very complicated and time is short for me at the moment. I have bought an ultrasonic cleaner to clean them, any tips on using it?

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 09:17:35 AM »
very slow progress on the bike, the carbs are very complicated and time is short for me at the moment. I have bought an ultrasonic cleaner to clean them, any tips on using it?

Get some ultrasonic cleaning fluid specifically for alloy from Allendale Electronics on eBay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Carburettor-Machine-Parts-Ultrasonic-Cleaning-Fluid-1L-Engine-Cleaner-Solution-/231219810941?hash=item35d5c6527d
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2016, 01:23:52 PM »
well some progress made, carbs cleaned and rebuilt, timing belts renewed and radiator removed for better access. New battery now fitted, but electrics have been tampered with so a bit of work needed, I have the engine turning over and a spark, will change oil etc before attempting to start the beast. meanwhile I have been looking at the brakes, calipers have been cleaned and rebuilt with new pistons and seals, master cylinder needs full overhaul so plenty still to do.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2016, 02:14:40 PM »
Its worth getting the rad flow tested as they can sludge up in coolant mixed with tap water has been used

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2016, 03:32:05 PM »
will do Bryan, when I drained the rad the coolant looked very clean blue colour indicates antifreeze was used so hopeful it will be ok

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2016, 04:06:00 PM »
update on progress, have renewed the headstock bearings and rebuilt the front calipers, master cyl is clean and waiting for a rebuild kit to arrive. Electrics are a mess, lots of extra wires and bad bodges so some rewiring to do

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2016, 08:04:41 PM »
it lives! finally had a few hours working on the bike, replaced the rad and refilled with coolant, changed the oil and filter etc, (cam belts had already been done). These bikes are a bit tricky to work on, not much room to work around the carb area, but I used a remote petrol tank to make sure I had clean petrol and after a bit of cranking and some carb cleaner down the intake it fired up with a few spits and misfires and a very loud exhaust as it has a home made 4 into 1 system on at the moment. Lots more to do but a happy chappy.

Offline MarkCR750

• Professional half wit and member
  • SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2016, 08:09:34 PM »
Great feeling when they burst into life, good work Mick!
Suzuki GT250A (Nostalgia)
1977 K7 CR750 (lookalike, what of I’m not sure)
Ducati 900SS (Soul & Speed)
Ducati M900 Monster (Handling & character)
Thruxton 1200 (suits me)
James Captain 197 (pure adrenaline, i.e. no brakes!)
"Eff yir gitten awvestear yir gooin te farst"
Sir J.Stewart.

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2016, 08:13:33 PM »
Great news being a big old girl you would think there would be plenty of room.
A bit of spit and polish she will be back on the road. ;)

Mick
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2016, 08:36:32 PM »
That's great news, it's always good to hear some old bike that hasn't run for years roar into life.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal